Just looking at the video:

-in ears

-active noise cancelling

-"transparency mode" for when you do want to hear sounds around you

-the "stem" seems shorter

Available in stores October 30

https://www.apple.com/airpods-pro/

Vulture 420
As long as I don't have to move around like that s soon as I put them in my ears, I'll consider them if I don't want wires.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
The shorter stem is a huge improvement.
sean Royal Wombat
I love my AirPods, and the active noise cancellation is a big incentive for me to upgrade. But, at $250, it's not a cheap upgrade.
Cool concept, nice and small, but that battery life... I would still need to own a second noise-cancelling set for cross-pacific flights.
Vulture 420
I've never spent that much on actual headphones that I want to use for critical listening, that's gonna be a hard pass for me.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
macaddict4life posted:
Cool concept, nice and small, but that battery life... I would still need to own a second noise-cancelling set for cross-pacific flights.

More than
24hrs
of listening time with multiple additional charges in the case

4.5hrs
of listening time on one charge

Around
1hr
of listening time on only 5 minutes of charging

-
Lombo Opiofiend
I have jabra elite sport and the fact that the battery duration is 4.5 hr is blatherskite. Because you recharge them 2 to 3 times a day which means quick cycling which means less battery life after 6 months in my case.
ukimalefu posted:
macaddict4life posted:

More than
24hrs
of listening time with multiple additional charges in the case

4.5hrs
of listening time on one charge

Around
1hr
of listening time on only 5 minutes of charging

-

I'm using the headphones to make the flight more pleasant, and in particular to help me sleep. Taipei to San Francisco direct flight runs 13 hours. If I'm trying to sleep (usually when headed to Asia as the landing is at 6 AM), I tend to sleep for a good 6 hours.

Don't get me wrong. I love my AirPods. I use them pretty much every single day, and have 0 complaints about the battery life. I use them so often that when my first set had awful battery life after 2 years, it made sense and I gladly picked up the new ones when they came out ("Hey Siri" while on a scooter at a red light is awesome!).

I'm just not so sure I see the value of noise canceling in most of the situations where I use them, and in all the situations where I do want noise cancelling either involve longer periods of use with concerns about the battery life or concerns about the comfort of the in-ear design.
"pro"

No more settling for that amateur stuff.

The pro market is where it's at. About time, Apple.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I still don’t enjoy in-ear speakers.
TOS
feel free to partake of overpriced beats
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
These are a no for me until they get rid of that silly stem.
Lombo Opiofiend
Without the stem how would you put them and remove them ? They are really small as it is. Also the stem is way shorter on the new model.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Here you can see how different wireless earbuds look on your ears. Please note that it shows the older, longer stem apple airpods, not the new ones.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/18/209 ... fit-design

You should also consider how they work, sound, features, etc.
Lombo posted:
Without the stem how would you put them and remove them ? They are really small as it is. Also the stem is way shorter on the new model.

Just about every other set manages it.
My in-ears need to be able to fit under hearing protection. (Mowing lawns, working with power tools etc) The stem would either break the seal around my ear, or would push against it making it uncomfortable.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
mmaverick posted:
Lombo posted:

Just about every other set manages it.
My in-ears need to be able to fit under hearing protection. (Mowing lawns, working with power tools etc) The stem would either break the seal around my ear, or would push against it making it uncomfortable.

In this new ones the stem is short, I think they would fit just fine, but I sure would test it before buying them.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
In my line of work the lack of a cord is a disadvantage, other than the obvious short battery life problem, at work I frequently take my buds off and on and being able to just yank them out and let them dangle is very convenient compared to having to set them down somewhere or put them in a pocket.
TOS
not that i can afford them, but if i could i know i'd end up losing one of the somanabatches
Lombo Opiofiend
Mine have a gps transmitter in them + they can emit a high whined pitch on command when I lose them. Very useful feature. But they retail for higher than AirPods so ...
TOS posted:
not that i can afford them, but if i could i know i'd end up losing one of the somanabatches

I’ve lost one a lot, but never permanently.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS
I use Shure; I am on my second pair. Expensive but sound really good.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
TOS posted:
feel free to partake of overpriced beats

I've tested Beats, and I find their noise canceling ability is not up to par of others in the price range.

But why Beats? What do you like about them?
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments ... xm3_bonus/

According to the bgr review of this review this review is the best review
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Airpods Pro