Are you using Brave browser?

Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot], juice, MSN [Bot]
Vulture 420
Why do I ask? Brave browser has Brave Rewards, which allows you to earn BAT (Basic Attention Token) by turning on Ads in the preferences. Unlike Google and Facebook, the ads that will show up like notifications in the upper right hand corner of your screen up to 5 ads per hour, and can be dismissed or clicked on. These are payed out monthly on the 5th of the month into your BAT wallet, and you are free to tip sites that are verified to receive contributions. If you just want to keep the money, you can withdraw funds and do as you wish.

I have not withdrawn any funds, and am trying this Brave Rewards Ads for the last 2 months. Is it perfect? Not really, this last month I've had the ads come up frequently and normally but lately they are sparse even though my preferences have not changed. If all goes as it did last month, you could make about $50-$100 per year just collecting BAT, and since BAT is a cryptocurrency, the price does fluctuate up and down with the overall market. It is conceivable that your BAT can increase 300% on a day and $100 can become $300 in an instant, just because you got some notifications while you used the browser.

If you didn't even know BAT existed, it's a good thing to know and understand how it works, and in an ideal world it can be applied to all forums and comments sections and social media posts, creating an online attention economy. I believe it is already implemented on Reddit, but I do not frequent there so I'm just guessing.
macnuke Afar
for 50-100 bucks a year..... i will stick with ad block
Vulture 420
macnuke posted:
for 50-100 bucks a year..... i will stick with ad block

I use ad block in every way, because ads that don't pay deserve to be blocked. Also keep in mind that BAT had an ATH USD price of about $0.86, which would 4X your investment compared to the current bear market price.
Vulture 420
Just checked my next month's BAT grant, and although I got about half the ads of the previous month, the results are good enough for me to keep the preference "on" for the browser, which I use for most casual internet browsing.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I do use Brave, but I would rather just not have the ads. The rage they induce isn't worth the pittance you get paid.
Vulture 420
maurvir posted:
I do use Brave, but I would rather just not have the ads. The rage they induce isn't worth the pittance you get paid.

I agree with that, with most all ads. I like this because it's BAT, and the ads look like ordinary notifications in the OS that slide into the right corner and can be ignored before they disappear on their own, dismissed, or clicked on to actually view the page being advertised if it's of interest. I look at it like eventually getting 2 free tanks of gas.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture 420
I guess people don't like free money these days.
macnuke Afar
if I have to watch adds... then it's technically not free. my time is worth more than that.
Vulture 420
macnuke posted:
if I have to watch adds... then it's technically not free. my time is worth more than that.

That's what I said, yet I get ads everywhere else in my face with no compensation. It's not time to watch anything, it's attention. Ads that take time to watch are the worst, and they do not have any form of compensation on any platform, unfortunately. I wonder if this is worth my time now, so I may as well see.

If I get paid $75/hr, that's 2 cents per second. Each ad notification takes about a second of my attention. Currently, given the amount of ads I've been given, I've been getting paid about $90/hr for the attention of these ads. Okay, at least I'm not being bamboozled.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Are you using Brave browser?