T6600 -> T9500 for $30

Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot], maurvir, MSN [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
This is really my attempt at sanity checking myself, but apparently eBay has a bunch of these old T9500 socket P processors for about $30. It would be ~24% increase in speed and run cooler. I'm tempted to give one a go, as this Sony isn't that difficult to upgrade, but I dunno.

This machine has, improbably, become a daily driver. With an SSD, it's actually reasonably decent, but it occasionally blows hot when it gets loaded. The temptation is strong...
As a daily driver with a SSD and enough ram, $30 is worth it if you think you can pull it off without breaking anything
dv
It's cheap fun. Sometimes those OEM laptops can be picky about CPUs though - anybody already do the upgrade and confirm it works with your BIOS version?
I can't find a video for this specific model, but I did find a very similar model (same chipset) Sony that the uploader upgraded to a T9500. It has the same wattage rating, FSB, etc., it just has a faster core clock. It also appears to have 3X the L2 cache (6MB vs 2MB). Theoretically, unless Sony did something weird on these specific models, it should work.

$30 for a CPU upgrade is tempting, as it typically hits 100% briefly while loading apps. Not usually for that long, but it's enough to kick the fan on high.

The price to go from 4GB to 8GB, however. Wow. The cheapest I've seen an 8GB (2x4GB) kit go for is about $87. That is a LOT harder to justify, especially when I haven't yet maxed the 4GB it has now. I got close *once* while surfing Reddit, but there is an easy solution to that problem...
So, upgrade #2 went well. The old Sony booted up just fine with the T9500 CPU (Which, amazingly, was under $30! at $29.99 with free shipping...). This turned out to be a nice boost, though I had to install indicator_cpuspeed and put the CPU into performance mode to get the most out of it. By default, it seemed to want to stick to its lowest speed and it never seemed to turbo fast enough to make the system feel perky. It will probably eat battery a bit faster with this setting, but the battery was always crap on this laptop. Quality of life definitely improved, though.

Oh, as a bonus, it turns out the CPU heatsink compound was in terrible shape on the original CPU. It was hardened and cracked. I took the opportunity to polish the heat plate with a bit of sandpaper until it was mirror smooth and reapplied new compound. It could just be the new CPU, though the wattage was actually the same (at 35W), but it seems to be running a bit cooler than the T6600. Amazingly, the fan and heat sink assembly was in good shape with little dust on it. I went ahead and blew it out, but it really didn't need much cleaning.

That just leaves the last upgrade, a 2GB RAM boost, which should be in tomorrow. I didn't go for the full 8GB as I don't ever hit that on my desktop Linux box that I use a lot more. Peak on the desktop system has been about 4.5GB to 5GB. I was able to get a new Crucial 4GB module fairly cheap, which will push the machine to 6GB. That will be the end of the line for this machine, but I anticipate it will keep it running for a while as a web browser/word processor. If memory usage stays consistent with its bigger desktop cousin, it should never hit the swap file ever.
dv
As an aside, I installed the same utility on the older Inspiron 1720 (with a T7700 CPU and 4GB of DDR2-667 RAM). Forcing it into performance mode helped pretty dramatically with that old timer as well. It isn't as fast as the modified Sony, but it's definitely a usable computer to be so geriatric. Hell, it's faster than some of the crap still being sold at Walmart right now.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
oh, so this isn't about new Terminators...

dv
maurvir posted:
As an aside, I installed the same utility on the older Inspiron 1720 (with a T7700 CPU and 4GB of DDR2-667 RAM). Forcing it into performance mode helped pretty dramatically with that old timer as well. It isn't as fast as the modified Sony, but it's definitely a usable computer to be so geriatric. Hell, it's faster than some of the crap still being sold at Walmart right now.

That's an indictment of Walmart, not an indication that computers that slow are actually "good enough". :P
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

That's an indictment of Walmart, not an indication that computers that slow are actually "good enough". :P

Yes, hence my use of the pejorative "crap"... ;)

That said, you might be surprised by what a 10 year old machine can still do.

Of course, Sony sold reasonably mid to high-end machines in the VAIO line, and this machine is no exception. It was saved by having SATA-2 (300GB/s) ports and DDR2-800 RAM at a time when a lot of laptops were still pushing SATA-1 (150GB/s) and DDR2-667. It also sported a gigabit Ethernet port, rather than a 10/100, and has an HDMI port (admittedly, first-gen only). With an Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter and cellular modem/router, I even have a pretty decent network connection away from home.

So far, the only thing that causes it to chug is reddit, and then only after a while (endless web pages suck).
Okay, update #3 went well too. By chance, the new module Crucial module had the exact same latency specs as the original Elpida RAM. Naturally, thanks to the graphics adapter, I'm only getting 5.7GB, not 6GB, but that should more than cover everything I would use this old laptop for. Memtest86 shows everything is in proper working order, so that's it. (I always run a full memory test when changing memory configurations)

:up:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

T6600 -> T9500 for $30