macOS Catalina is available now

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks), gd, Google [Bot], juice, mmaverick, Yori
Vulture 420
My upgrade to Catalina feels like it's got a few things missing that used to be there. It's definitely not ready to come out of the oven. Even Safari has bugs where the new window with favorites doesn't show me the icons unless the window is resized to a specific dimension. I forgot it really takes like 6 months to be safe on these upgrades. I should have gone to Mojave instead and waited.
macOS 10.15.4 is out, along with iOS 13.4.

Hey, LOOK! The use bar for my iPhone is now correct! I have a 256 GB iPhone 11 Pro (preceded by a 256 GB iPhone 7) and up to now the use bar at the bottom of the Finder window on my MBP would only show a use bar for my iPhones with separate segments like audio and video BUT there was no white segment showing how much space I had remaining on the iPhone. At the top of that Finder window it always had said that I had "X GBs Available".

Now I have an iPhone use bar with about 40% in white and when my cursor is over that segment it says "Available X GBs". Even better, when I reconnect my iPhone to my MBP and tell it to Sync, that use bar is replaced by a progress bar. Unfortunately it shows the progress within each category, so if I happened to have a number of podcasts updated overnight (when I sleep I normally put my iPhone next to my bed and thus detacted from my MBP), that progress bar will give me a rough idea of how long only Podcasts might take, after which the progresss bar changes to another category, but this is an improvement.

I cannot set the Backups option to "Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac". When I do select that option, it is hit-or-miss as to whether or not the Revert or Apply button will work THIS time. So far it has been half one, half the other, but when I choose the wrong option the Backups option will first switch to "Back up your most important data on your iPhone to iCloud" and then proceed, so I have to wait until THAT backup finishes to try again. Previous to 10.15.4 I had hit the Apply button which had been working every time.

My Podcast app on my iPhone is still being problematic in that it keeps on re-adding slots for past episodes that I have listened to and had previously deleted. I was very irritated to try to listen to the "Skeptics Guide" when I went out earlier today to do a bit of shopping, only to find that I have 15 past episodes which ARE marked as played (so would have to be downloaded if I wanted to listen to them) AND for THIS week's episode (downloaded this past Saturday and which I had listened to the first half-hour or so) when I clicked on it to play it my iPhone displayed "There is a problem" message. It is playing now that I am back home, but I wish Apple would fix this ongoing problem.
Anyone had issues with Mail in Catalina? I have an old Mac Pro that I’ve updated with new parts such that it runs Mojave very nicely. So during all this stay at home business, I thought I’d try getting it to run Catalina. Turns out that was very easy, and the OS runs as smoothly as Mojave. However, there seems to be a major issue with importing mail messages and account info into Catalina’s Mail app. Exporting mailboxes from Mojave and importing them in Catalina fails to show any imported accounts or messages. Same with restoring from a Time Machine backup and Migration Assistant.

Anyone else had to solve anything like this? Right now, it is the only major hurdle to switching to Catalina for me.
I don't recall having any particular problems with Apple Mail when switching from 10.14 Mojave to 10.15 Catalina. As I remember it, it was just update to Catalina and open Apple Mail, no exportation of mailboxes required.

Could you tell us which other mail accounts you are using aside from your Apple account (if you have one)? It may be that there was something peculiar about, say, Comcast mail accounts which required such further manipulations, so someone else with a Comcast mail account can tell you what they did. Mind you: I am NOT saying that there was anything peculiar about Comcast mail--I cannot say "yea" nor "nay" not having an account at the moment.

For example: my Apple Mail is set up to mail out/receive mail at my ATT.net account (ATT being my ISP). There weren't any problems that I can recall.
gd Hero of Twilight
Guest posted:
Anyone had issues with Mail in Catalina? I have an old Mac Pro that I’ve updated with new parts such that it runs Mojave very nicely. So during all this stay at home business, I thought I’d try getting it to run Catalina. Turns out that was very easy, and the OS runs as smoothly as Mojave. However, there seems to be a major issue with importing mail messages and account info into Catalina’s Mail app. Exporting mailboxes from Mojave and importing them in Catalina fails to show any imported accounts or messages. Same with restoring from a Time Machine backup and Migration Assistant.

Anyone else had to solve anything like this? Right now, it is the only major hurdle to switching to Catalina for me.

Have you tried signing into the email accounts from the Mail app or within System Preferences?
The main email is through my ISP, woway, and they offer both pop3 and imap configurations. Adding this account in Mail automatically configures it as pop3, and that would be ok if I could get my existing messages to import properly. However, I also can’t seem to be able to find a way to manually configure accounts aside from the “wizard” that asks only for your email address and password when adding a new account.

Other main account is through MS Exchange for work, but I haven’t messed with that one yet.
AAIIIEEEE! Image

I talked with Apple Support yesterday about my iPhone backup problems. I simply could not convince her that I DO NOT WANT to backup to my iCloud. While I trust Apple with holding MY security and privacy NOW, I would rather not be wholly dependent upon the kindness of strangers considering the pressure that the US government has placed upon Apple among others to "allow" US TLAs access to ALL my stuff.

Mind you: aside from the embarrassment of my pr0n collection, I have no dick pics or nudes (yeah, I'm rather disappointed about the latter), no embarrassing personal messages, no subversive--political or otherwise--web browsing or mails. If anything almost all of my life could be an open book but I DO choose for it NOT to be even to Apple. Worse, if insignificant me cannot do this, then I do have an concern about those people whose personal security worries are more substantial.

I even got to show my Apple Support tech that the change from a local backup on my Mac to the apparent default of backing up to my iCloud happens seemingly at random with a considerable favoring towards the iCloud option. More often than not it will switch to the iCloud option and there is nothing which will stop this change back to iCloud since iOS 13.4 and macOS 10.15.4 were issued. At least with iOS 13.3.x and macOS 10.15.3 my changing to backing up my iPhone to my Mac stayed there until I had to disconnect then reconnect my iPhone.

The only thing she could suggest was for me to make my complaints in the Apple Support forums. <hrumph>
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I had to stop using apple Mail years ago. It simply does not work with Yahoo/AT&T, resurrecting every piece of mail I try to delete. I've had to do all my mail via browser, but I rapidly find email to be little more than a background pest vie-ing with other media to rob my attention with minutia.
I was able to do a iPhone backup in Catalina on my new rig, to the local drive; I think.
I’ve seen the iPhone backup to iCloud or computer option randomly toggling itself going all the way back to El Capitan. Guess I stopped worrying about it and am just happy that my phone seems to be getting backed up somewhere.

Seems like Apple has finally descended to level of software quality exhibited by Microsoft of the late ‘90s... “If it mostly works then it’s good enough, so ship it!”
dv
Macinaw posted:
I’ve seen the iPhone backup to iCloud or computer option randomly toggling itself going all the way back to El Capitan. Guess I stopped worrying about it and am just happy that my phone seems to be getting backed up somewhere.

Seems like Apple has finally descended to level of software quality exhibited by Microsoft of the late ‘90s... “If it mostly works then it’s good enough, so ship it!”

It's a common mistake with Agile. Gotta ship the Minimum Viable Product.
iPhone back up to the computer, plain as day in Catalina when you look at general info in the Finder about the iPhone.
Metacell posted:
I had to stop using apple Mail years ago. It simply does not work with Yahoo/AT&T, resurrecting every piece of mail I try to delete. I've had to do all my mail via browser, but I rapidly find email to be little more than a background pest vie-ing with other media to rob my attention with minutia.

While I do have my AT&T U-verse account connected to Apple Mail on my MBP, I must admit that it is for me a practically nonexistent service. No one is aware of that account, not even my mom.

On the other hand my mom does use her U-verse account nearly daily. If she were having any problems close to what you described then I certainly would have heard her complaints about it.

Yeah, technically my mom should be aware of my U-verse account, but my mom is an appliance user who does NOT want to know much less understand anything about how her iMac or iPhone works. Every now and again I do try to explain but I get her BLANK WALL OF INCOMPREHENSION.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I think this problem started when Yahoo first got bought by AT&T and some settings got changed, and I had been using the Mail app for almost a decade starting with my old Earthlink accounts which were concurrently active for awhile.

I'm sure if I deleted it all and started over again it would be fine. But I figure, why bother?
I have not used Apple Mail in like 5 years. Switched to Airmail. Never looked back.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

macOS Catalina is available now

Page: 1, 2