macOS Catalina is available now

Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Here is the redirection page (which goes to Catalina's page in the Mac App Store by invoking the Mac App Store app, which in turn starts up System Preferences in order to do the download).

Despite the 4.9 GBs reported at the above link, MY download for my MacBook Pro (a model just barely within those that use Catalina) is 8.09 GBs. I have been keeping up with macOS updates so I cannot explain that difference.

It does appear that this version will break up iTunes into separate apps. Not sure how well that will work with iOS 13.1.2 considering that that version of iOS still has iTunes combined together.
iOS 13 doesn't have iTunes for video and audio in one place. The TV app was introduced quite some time ago.
Well, installed and MOSTLY working.

As I wrote before: iOS 13.1.2 does NOT have iTunes fully broken up, but for now what Music will do is have an option to do most of what iTunes used to do when my iPhone got connected. There is a separate sync window for the iPhone which has similar options BUT for whatever reasons Photos is taking FOREVER to import my old iTunes content, though Podcast and Books and Music completed their imports rather quickly. In that iPhone handling screen I had to go through my list of about 130 books and reselect those books that I wanted to be transferred to my iPhone (for some reason only a handful already were selected to be synced).

Grumph. Photos is stuck at about 20% done. I tried quitting then restarting, but it is still at 20%, AND it appears that if any of the new apps are NOT done then my iPhone will not be synced because the Apply button is still greyed out. NOTE: still at the same mark even after another 20 minutes.

Double grumph. I tried unclicking the option telling the iPhone sub-app to not sync any of Photos. I got a message asking if I wanted to keep the photos that I already have on my iPhone or delete them (I chose keep) but it still isn't allowing me to click on the Apply button. That synchronization will be problematic because this iPhone sub-app does not have any options allowing me to select those Photos pics I wanted to be transferred by events but instead has an odd set of groupings such as Selfies and Long Exposure and Panoramas. I dunno, but maybe what Photos is doing is an analysis of my pics so that it can fit them into those categories?

-----

Thanks macaddict4life, but since I have NOT used TV on my MBP nor on my iPhone at all, I was content to ignore it. As I have written elsewhere: my iPhone isn't the center of my life.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
A warning from Patrick at the Garage Band Guide says that if you do any audio production in DAWs, DO NOT upgrade to Catalina YET. Many major DAWs and accompanying technologies have complete compatibility breakdowns because of the ending of all support for 32 bit libraries and plugins.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
The TV app is confusing me.

If I already subscribe to HBO Now, shouldn't I be able to login to my account using the TV app. There's no way to do that? There's only "sign up for $14.99."

I thought the TV app would let me login to my subscriptions, like the Apple TV. Was I wrong in thinking that?
Photos completed its scan of my photo library at some point in the last few hours. Unfortunately within the iPhone sub-app inside of Music, my only choice was to tell my iPhone to synch ALL pics since there isn't an option to select my pics based on date/events (which are basically the same). Fortunately I do have enough space on my iPhone but I don't know what I could do if I do start running out of space. I still do not understand the point of those categories which I could have used to to select only some pics if I do not have access to those categories in Photos on my iPhone nor on my MBP. Oh, I just noticed that Photos on my iPhone is doing the same thing of analyzing my pics. Especially considering that I had told the iPhone app to synch all my pics, I don't know why that info in Photos on my MBP could not have been copied to my iPhone.

My book list was being troublesome again in that iPhone sub-app. When I selected the books tab, I saw that most of my books were not selected to be copied to my iPhone, BUT when I selected any of them then the Apply button (for synching) greyed out. Changing my book list back to the 20 or so books that I had on my iPhone, the Apply button became clickable again, BUT then something happened and I have no idea what it might be, but now I can select books without the Apply button greying out so at least now I can read Jordan's "New Spring" which is my current e-book (it wasn't one of those 20 that remained on my iPhone).

Now that I did a synch, I find it troublesome that there is hardly any indication that the apps on my MBP are synching with my iPhone, only a small spinning curved arrow next to my iPhone in that iPhone sub-app with Music.

I guess I will get used to it, but <sigh>.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
always wait for 2.0 something something....

after years of hesitating, I recently upgraded from OS X 10.6.8 all the way up to 10.7.5

Everything seems... prettier... a bit snappier, for now, probably because it's a fresh install.

Sorry, enjoy your Catalina.
D'oh! What I was calling a iPhone sub-app is actually a Finder window in which the "Locations" that was selected was my iPhone.

Irritatingly if that Finder window is not tall enough, when the Books tab is chosen the list of books can be so narrow that none of the titles are visible. If one book title is visible, then that list can be scrolled but it is pretty useless since you must scroll back-and-forth until that one title that you want to alter becomes visible.
dv
ukimalefu posted:
always wait for 2.0 something something....

after years of hesitating, I recently upgraded from OS X 10.6.8 all the way up to 10.7.5

Everything seems... prettier... a bit snappier, for now, probably because it's a fresh install.

Sorry, enjoy your Catalina.

10.7 was nice - much better iCloud functionality than previous versions. Really had me sold on the Apple ecosystem for a while. 10.8 was a step up from there too.
Vulture 420
I downloaded earlier today, but I'm not installing that. I still haven't installed Mojave, probably safe to do that by now.
I have a 10.8.5 partition for all my audio DAW work. No way I'm going to treat my "everything" computer as my audio "work" computer to be slapped around by the newest and latest thing that means nothing to audio production.
I’m holding off since there are reports of Creative Cloud not working. Also in the middle of a project. Hack is still high Sierra cuz nVidia Apple spat.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
What part of Creative Cloud?
I have a question: having the parts of iTunes separated means that on my MBP I must run at least Podcasts and Books apps all the time, right? Each of them get updates (to be sure: updates to my books are rather rare but they do happen) ONLY when they are running.

Grumph! Irritatingly unlike with old iTunes on my MBP, if you change the subscription of a podcast on an iPhone's iTunes, then that will change that status for that podcast in the Podcast app.
GAH!

I have a few episodes of the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe in my list on my iPhone. Over the past half-hour I have seen them on my iPhone go from "being on the cloud" to downloaded then back again while trying to get my iPhone to get synched with Podcast on my MBP (where all of those episdoses have remained downloaded FOR NOW).

This is NOT an improvement.
I talked with an Apple Support guy about this.

After letting him connect to my iPhone so he could watch and then demonstrating the reappearance of the cloud icon for those listings in my SGU entry in Podcasts on my iPhone, he suggested checking another podcast. I tried Futility Closet, got it to download another podcast and it downloaded AND STAYED.

At his suggestion I deleted the SGU listing within my iPhone's Podcast app, then re-added it. Suspiciously it was still subscribed AND the listings of podcasts within it were the same with that irritating cloud icon next to the two episodes, but I told the app to download those episodes again and they stayed.

So quirky podcast behavior? He was just as puzzled, but I let him go with this as a win for him.
macnuke Afar
I'm holding off for a while...

my Mac is hacked to human waste and back.. the firmware was flashed to show it was new enough for Mojave... but to install, i had to put the original graphics card in... so it saw the efi for boot.
then when the installer halts looking for a metal graphics card.. i have to power down and swap to the Saphire with metal capabilities.. then finish the install.

maybe.... but I will prolly install on a SATA HDD and not the PCIe SSD that is my boot and system drive... but shown as an external drive.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I usually jump right on board with OS updates, but I have a couple apps
I need that are supposedly ready, but people are reporting issues with.

I’m going to give it a month or so.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
A bunch of my old apps don't work(including one java app I really used a lot).

Dashboard doesn't work.
Vulture 420
What do you use Dashboard for? I never use it, forget it's there. I had to launch it just now to even remember what it is. Widgets? Go-to apps?
obvs My password is "contraseña"
I used it for delivery tracking multiple orders at the same time, for translation, and for notes.

It was incredibly useful.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The translation/conversion widget is (was) great. I use the calculator regularly.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
obvs posted:
I used it for delivery tracking multiple orders at the same time, for translation, and for notes.

It was incredibly useful.

It wasnt much to begin with
ukimalefu dysfunctional
I couldn't have posted that without my steyrisms widget ;) :p
Robert B. posted:
What part of Creative Cloud?

It is the typical Adobe line, "we think it will work, but do not endorse that it works."

I just did spat of updates so maybe all is good now.
One thing I will say when I update; I might finally look at getting an iPad since Apple finally did what should have been done on the first one they released; which is have it work like a Cintiq tablet. What a damn brain fart on Apple's part. Even if version 1 was wired it would have been good.
Vulture 420
Possible 32-bit support Catalina fix (sorry that it is a pic, I have not transcribed the text from the screenshot).

May also be an unrelated problem fix that I don't understand because I'm computer stupid, but it may lead to somewhere to fix other stuff.
According to TODAY'S Xlr8YourMac there should be a "macOS 10.15 Supplemental Update" coming soon.

I did a search of Apple's site using that quote as my search terms and got nothing yet.
I have installed that "Supplemental Update".

It is still "10.15" with no additional ".1" or anything. About the only possible visible trace that MIGHT be there can be found in About This Mac>System Report>Software where my System Version is "macOS 10.15 (19A602)" so maybe that number within the parentheses changed?
Vulture posted:
Possible 32-bit support Catalina fix (sorry that it is a pic, I have not transcribed the text from the screenshot).

(pic was here)

May also be an unrelated problem fix that I don't understand because I'm computer stupid, but it may lead to somewhere to fix other stuff.

This is why I always do major updates from scratch; these days it isn't that hard to get back up and going.
DEyncourt posted:
I have installed that "Supplemental Update".

It is still "10.15" with no additional ".1" or anything. About the only possible visible trace that MIGHT be there can be found in About This Mac>System Report>Software where my System Version is "macOS 10.15 (19A602)" so maybe that number within the parentheses changed?

There is a rumor that a version (19A603) may be out there or at least soon. The above will be the only way to know if this supplemental update has been installed unless Apple decides to give it an actual version number like "10.15.1".

-----

What is the point of running the Podcast app on my MacBook Pro? I nearly always listen to my podcasts while away from my MBP because I know that if I am doing ANYTHING on my MBP while trying to listen to any podcast, at the end I know that I will only have "heard" it without absorbing practically any content.

I got from the author Katie Cross a recommendation for a podcast called "Girl in Space". It is a quirky podcast with some humorous elements.

Last night I downloaded all of the episodes to my MBP's Podcast app. Fine.

Then I synched my iPhone with my MBP then checked the entry for "Girl in Space" in the iPhone's Podcast app. It oddly had nearly every entry kinda-sorta doubled, but one of each of the doubles was marked with a cloud icon. OK, so went through my list and deleted those cloud-icon marked episodes. Again, I checked my list and I had all of the current episodes with only Episode 1 partially heard. Fine.

Earlier today I went out to do some shopping and other stuff. I popped my iPhone into its holder in my car then brought up the Podcast app and scrolled through my list to find "Girl in Space". NOT FINE: all of the episodes were gone.

<sigh> So I listened to something else while I was out and about.

I get home and looked through my MBP's Podcast app. Under "Girl in Space" it likewise was empty of any episodes.

So now I have downloaded all the episodes AGAIN into my MBP Podcast app. I have checked several of them to make sure that these are NOT set to being played.

When I synched my iPhone with my MBP I again got a double listing of NEARLY every episode with one of them marked with the cloud icon. Annoyingly all of the fully downloaded episodes are marked as being "Played" so I had to go through the list to mark each of them as Unplayed.

So I said "Screw this" and deleted the entry for "Girl in Space" in my iPhone's podcast app, counting on it restoring my MBP's Podcast app to fully restore it (and basically following the steps I was given earlier by Apple Support). I checked: on my MBP all of the episodes are listed as unplayed.

In my iPhone's Podcast app all of the "Girl in Space" episodes are again doubled with the fully downloaded episodes marked as "Played".
My iPhone Podcast app saga continues.

I have:

1) gotten a new USB-Lightning cable at the suggestion of Apple Support (a second-tier person) because I was getting an OCCASIONAL error message when I tried to synch my iPhone: 'The iPhone “iPhone” could not be synced because the connection to the iPhone was reset.' Using the new cable did not fix that problem.

I decided to take a look inside my iPhone's Lightning port with a flashlight. I could see that there appeared to be a mat of compressed fluff packed at the top of the port, but it was such that none of the Lightning port wires inside the port were covered. I used one of my recently acquired iFixIt tools to reach into my iPhone's Lightning port and carefully pulled out that fluff which--when allowed to expand--was a surprising amount.

Now I no longer get that error messages when attempting to synch, but my podcast problem persists.

2) backed up my iPhone to my MBP, then using the "Restore iPhone" button on my MBP's screen I reset my iPhone pretty much back to "out of the box" state EXCEPT for having its iOS still at version 13.1.3.

I basically had to do this three times because my original second-tier Apple support gal wanted me to try this:

a) having used the "Restore iPhone" option I did NOT use "Restore backup". Instead after running through all the starting steps for a new iPhone, I opened the Podcast app on my iPhone and just got the "Girl in Space" podcast,

b) I then disconnected then reconnected my iPhone from my MBP TWICE because that podcast has the odd behavior of not updating that podcast unless I did that. Unfortunately I again got my list of episodes doubled with one copy of each episode being fully downloaded but marked as "Played" and a second copy being marked with a cloud icon.

At that point she had to give up at least partially because she was in long past the end of her day (she is in CDT--Dallas, TX, I believe) and she had run out of ideas. She did pass this onto the folks who specifically are supporting iTunes but they now handle all the problems for the several apps that came out of the iTunes breakup, so hopefully one of them will have a solution to fix my problem or find one over the weekend.

I am to call again on Monday.

So I again hit the "Restore iPhone" button for the third time on Friday but did a "Restore Backup" for only the second time. While I did other stuff on my MBP, I saw that this latter process took about 1.5 hours.
Oddly Xlr8yourmac.com list that there is a new version of Safari version 13.0.3 BUT it is only available for Macs running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

The current version I have on my MBP is 13.0.2. Perhaps this Safari update will be issued with macOS Catalina 10.15.1?

-----

My iPhone Podcast app saga continues:

I have had another podcast oddity that MAY be related to my problem with the "Girl in Space" podcast. On October 28th I phoned Apple Support. Hashing through the various steps that I have gone through before with previous Apple Support personnel, I came across TWO odd behaviors in the Skeptoid podcast. After synching my iPhone with my MacBookPro, the Podcast app on my MBP had an episode count of 42 episodes while the Podcast app on my iPhone had an episode count of 49 episodes. When I looked through my iPhone's listing for Skeptoid, I persistently see 6 episodes which keep reappearing no matter what I do. These are episodes 650, 651, 653, 654, and 655 and includes a special unnumbered episode in between 653 and 654. I have tried deleted them all in one sweep, and have tried deleting them one at a time. Sometimes the latter process will allow all 6 disappear for some time, but after a few hours they all return.

But you may have noticed that I have omitted one. I saw that there was an episode which was "duplicated" like all of my "Girl in Space" episodes were: one copy that appeared to be fully downloaded but a second copy which was marked with a cloud icon. This episodes is:

Sean Carroll's Mindscape podcast preview (dated August 4, 2019, appearing between episodes 686 and 687)

I scrolled down to that "cloud" duplicate on my iPhone and deleted it then re-synched. Seemingly sensibly my episode count on my iPhone was reduced to 48 BUT my episode count on my MBP was now 41! I scrolled through both episode lists for Skeptoid and saw that the above episode was now missing in each of them but weirdly the CLOUD version reappeared on my iPhone.

Eventually the Skeptoid episode count on my iPhone will drop to 47, so even that cloud version will get deleted.

I downloaded that episode from the Podcast "store" back to my MBP Podcast app. The Skeptoid episode count on my MBP is again at 42 episodes.

I then re-synched my iPhone with my MBP. The Skeptoid episode count in my iPhone's Podcast app is now at 49 episodes. I did check: that Mindscape preview episode is again duplicated with one marked with a cloud icon.

So MAYBE there is some peculiarity with that episode of Skeptoid which is shared by ALL episodes of "Girl in Space"?

For the sake of experimentation, I added Sean Carroll's Mindscape to my MBP's list of subscribed podcasts but only downloaded the most recent episode. I then got my MBP to synch with my iPhone but the behavior here is not quite the same since I have yet to have the sole episode in Mindscape get downloaded to my iPhone: there is only that most recent episode BUT marked with a cloud icon.

Worse, when I deleted that episode ("You're All Caught Up!") on my iPhone then re-synched, that cloud icon version re-appears on my iPhone.

Yes, I can tell my iPhone's Podcast app to download that episode, but I again ask: why should I be running the Podcast app on my MBP if that app will not coordinate with its opposite on my iPhone?
macOS 10.15.1 Catalina update was released today. My MBP still has about 1.2 GB left for a 4.5 GB download.
macOS 10.15.1 did NOT fix any of my Podcast problems.
DEyncourt posted:
Oddly Xlr8yourmac.com list...

I read all of what you wrote. Are you from the future?
Ribtor posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Oddly Xlr8yourmac.com list...

I read all of what you wrote. Are you from the future?

Nah. I found that the ONLY way to get ANY updates for Safari is through the latest macOS update. I can kinda-sorta recall that Safari updates were separate a while back, but basically Apple is saying that there are macOS fixes that are required to run the latest version of Safari which incidentally may require some users to get new hardware just to be able to run the latest versions of both.

I haven't had to do that last bit yet but my MBP is the earliest model MBP that can run Catalina. Well, if my MBP will not be able to run macOS 10.16 Farallon (or whatever Apple will call it), I cannot complain about a 7+ year run with this MBP.
dv
Okay, finally upgraded. Bad enough that 32-bit apps are out, but this is stick fiddling obnoxious - it keeps asking me for permission to do everything I just told it to do.

How do I turn off the training wheels?
dv posted:
Okay, finally upgraded. Bad enough that 32-bit apps are out, but this is stick fiddling obnoxious - it keeps asking me for permission to do everything I just told it to do.

How do I turn off the training wheels?

For Safari:

1) bring up a page where you want to set or adjust such permissions,

2) in the Menu select Safari>Preferences,

3) click on the Websites tab,

4) click through each of the options in the left column, then choose how you want Safari to (re-)act to each of those options.

Note that for some options like "Downloads" there may be a global setting below the list of sites on the right called "When visiting other websites:". The options for Downloads are Ask, Allow and Deny.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

macOS Catalina is available now