eu court forces facebook to take responsibility for content

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
TOS
defamatory content must be removed worldwide, court rules

they're getting closer and closer to forcing social media companies to take responsibility for the content they host ... i wonder how far it will go?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I think they should have a safe version for everybody then a special Hatebook page for drunken ranting.
That's not a bad idea. Like you group your friends so that your grandma never sees anything from your drug dealer and family can see baby pictures and such while friends can see pictures of the house party rave you had.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I think that, as much as I despise Facebook, it is exceptionally disturbing that the EU is trying to enforce their laws outside of their territory. I really hope they get smacked down on this, and hard, as a reminder that they are the EU, not the whole damn world. As it is, this sets a dangerous precedent.

Perhaps when it is some country that they don't like who tries to enforce their laws on them, they will see the light.
It seems fine to me.

If Facebook breaks EU law then it will be held liable in the EU, regardless of where in the world Facebook operates. If it wants to operate in the EU then it must abide by their laws.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ribtor posted:
It seems fine to me.

If Facebook breaks EU law then it will be held liable in the EU, regardless of where in the world Facebook operates. If it wants to operate in the EU then it must abide by their laws.

I look forward to your commentary when the Chinese demand Facebook remove anything they don't like both inside and outside of China. :squint:
dv
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:
It seems fine to me.

I look forward to your commentary when the Chinese demand Facebook remove anything they don't like both inside and outside of China. :squint:

Both Facebook and China can choose whether or not they operate in China. Personally I'd prefer they not. Same with Google.
Vulture 420
TOS
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:
It seems fine to me.

the chinese recognize their law is a joke so they just block facebook

try to dial back your american exceptionalism a bit, we're talking about defamatory content here
This is about corporate, commerce and trade law as regards defamation and the rights if people.
I like it when corporations aren't considered to be on par with persons.
More of that.
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:
It seems fine to me.

the chinese recognize their law is a joke so they just block facebook

try to dial back your american exceptionalism a bit, we're talking about defamatory content here

This seems like the literal opposite of American exceptionalism.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

eu court forces facebook to take responsibility for content