MICROSOFT DOESN’T THINK WINDOWS IS IMPORTANT ANYMORE

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
So, is this the Post-PC era Steve Jobs told us about?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/3/2089 ... es-android

Quote:
“The operating system is no longer the most important layer for us,” was the message from Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella yesterday.

Quote:
“What is most important for us is the app model and the experience,”

Quote:
on mobile devices, Android’s the obvious choice. But anything [bigger than] that, Windows is everything

hmmm... where did they get that idea (iOS/MAc OS :p )

Anyway, hold on to your linux, nerds. And unplug your old PCs and Macs from the internet.
That's literally the whole point of Windows 10 X. You get largely the same look and feel of Windows with the apps you're familiar with but on thinner and lighter devices.

Anyone who has done tech support for someone who thinks the whole internet is called Firefox knows that the details don't matter as long as it works the same.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Betonhaus posted:
That's literally the whole point of Windows 10 X. You get largely the same look and feel of Windows with the apps you're familiar with but on thinner and lighter devices.

Anyone who has done tech support for someone who thinks the whole internet is called Firefox knows that the details don't matter as long as it works the same.

Yeah, I know people who think facebook, or instagram, or whatsapp, or at most a combination of those, on their smartphones, is all there is.
I treat my computers as workstations. The applications I use are what matter to me.
The workstation runs the Operating System, I don't, and I don't want to be bothered with it unless I have a specific task that requires me to use it, such as setting it up. After that, my interaction with the OS consists of managing files. That means naming, moving and copying. That's it. If Photoshop and a browser ran on WFW 3.11, I'd be fine with it.

The article looks like someone has been tasked to re-brand the obvious.
Vulture 420
Betonhaus posted:
...the whole internet is called Firefox...

Oh man, that is awesome. I will from now on say Firefox when I mean internet. :lol:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ribtor posted:
I treat my computers as workstations. The applications I use are what matter to me.
The workstation runs the Operating System, I don't, and I don't want to be bothered with it unless I have a specific task that requires me to use it, such as setting it up. After that, my interaction with the OS consists of managing files. That means naming, moving and copying. That's it. If Photoshop and a browser ran on WFW 3.11, I'd be fine with it.

The article looks like someone has been tasked to re-brand the obvious.

Back in the day I was all about stick fiddling around with my system but I got over that finally and now I just want something stable and reliable. A reason I stick with Linux Mint is that part of their mission is to continuously iterate improvements and features while avoiding any disruption of the user experience.
Unlike Ubuntu for one glaring example of the opposite.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

MICROSOFT DOESN’T THINK WINDOWS IS IMPORTANT ANYMORE