Power outages killed my hard drive

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
juice posted:
Too many damaged blocks?

what? no, that can't be it, OS X 10.6 installed just fine

I have the 10.6.8 update on a CD, THAT won't install, not from the CD, not from copying the installer to the Hard drive.

maybe I'll try redownloading it later but I'm hopeless at this point.
Vulture 420
ukimalefu posted:
juice posted:
Too many damaged blocks?

I have the 10.6.8 update on a CD, THAT won't install, not from the CD, not from copying the installer to the Hard drive.

Hey, sometimes the installer won't install because the certificate has expired. Do a get info on it and you might have to roll back your clock to like 2014 or something. This happened to me when I was hopeless about the installer and triple checked everything like a moron and still couldn't get it to work. It always ended with a nebulous "could not finish installing due to an error" or something, and the installer was from the official download page. Sure enough, roll that sucker back a few years and it worked.
Vulture posted:
ukimalefu posted:
juice posted:
Too many damaged blocks?

Hey, sometimes the installer won't install because the certificate has expired. Do a get info on it and you might have to roll back your clock to like 2014 or something. This happened to me when I was hopeless about the installer and triple checked everything like a moron and still couldn't get it to work. It always ended with a nebulous "could not finish installing due to an error" or something, and the installer was from the official download page. Sure enough, roll that sucker back a few years and it worked.

get info on what exactly? and do something on the get info window?

roll back the system dat you mean? I remember that was a trick... for something... a long, long time ago. I may try that...

*edit*

the combo update installer says it was created in 2012 :eek:
Vulture 420
Yeah if you get info on the installer you see the date, so roll back the date on your computer to do the install.
I may or may not have screwed the permissions of all my drives...

repairing permissions has taken hours... on one drive... if that works...

I'm cursed.

I probably was the guy who made Hitler leave art school in my past life.

:goth:
The good news:

After fighting with my drive to repair it, it booted, I reverted the date to 2012, and the update to 10.6.8 went through, so I guess that did it
The bad news:

the internal drive is hosed badly

it shows a lock on the icon, can't find a way to remove it

let me get a screenshot
the internal drive icon looks like this now

can't use it, but get info shows the used space appears to be there... I just can't see it, or use it, or even fix it... I tried to run disk first aid several times, both repair disk and repair permissions, and I'm told it fixed things, but it doesn't work...
diskwarrior did something... rebuilt the directory...

the lock is still there

tried something with the terminal and it said i'm not in the sudoers file? at least I didn't kill what I'm using right now... *knocks on wood... with fingers crossed, yeah, I actually did that*

may try disk utility again later, idk
Vulture 420
ukimalefu posted:

can't use it, but get info shows the used space appears to be there... I just can't see it, or use it, or even fix it... I tried to run disk first aid several times, both repair disk and repair permissions, and I'm told it fixed things, but it doesn't work...

That sounds very weird. Is this what you tried to do?
Vulture posted:
ukimalefu posted:

That sounds very weird. Is this what you tried to do?

exactly that from exactly that web page, are you spying on me?

it didn't work by the way
I made an image of the locked drive, and it's locked too, so that didn't fix it. The difference is I can open it, but it shows up empty, BUT with the available space the original has, so there's something there?

this what I get when I tried to open the HD

It's not a folder! it's a hard drive! wtf?
Vulture 420
Are you able to create a situation where you boot from another partition and see the drive and open it?
Vulture posted:
Are you able to create a situation where you boot from another partition and see the drive and open it?

I'm booting from an external drive and I saw the internal drive as locked, can't open it. It has OS X 10.6.8 on it, no recovery partition or anything...

Every get info window has a way to lock or unlock a file or folder, these drives don't have that.

If I hold option at startup I can see all drives as bootable options (I have 3 drives with the same version of OS X installed, but the 2 locked ones just stay on the gray apple screen with the spinning wheel forever)
Vulture 420
Is there any logic to this happening other than the drive is hosed, and is that a valid conclusion?
Vulture posted:
Is there any logic to this happening other than the drive is hosed, and is that a valid conclusion?

huh? I don't understand that.

The permissions on the drive are hosed, as far as I can tell. I've run disk first aid like 2 dozen times, ran repair permissions, and it says it fixed a lot of stuff every time. But the drive stays locked.

Can't unlock it in the finder, and apparently, can't unlock it with the terminal, unless I didn't do the right thing there.
in other news, since I don't care about anything any more and the worst already happened...

:goth:

I'm looking at an OS X 10.7 installer on my desktop...
but I'd really like to fix the locked drives and not have to reformat them

:(
I will probably regret this :goth:

the locked drives are still locked
Old Yoda agitator
Re: locked drive:

See if any pins/jumper has fallen off the drive.
Some drives can be locked that way.
Old Yoda posted:
Re: locked drive:

See if any pins/jumper has fallen off the drive.
Some drives can be locked that way.

huh? what?

you mean physically?

no way
not thanks
2 different drives at the same time?
no

But believe me, I do appreciate any attempts at helping.
Vulture 420
Is this related to File Vault in any way?
We love you, Uki. If something was sent via Fed Ex from Canada, what are the chances it would get to you? Would coming from Canada be better than coming from the US?
Warin posted:
We love you, Uki. If something was sent via Fed Ex from Canada, what are the chances it would get to you? Would coming from Canada be better than coming from the US?

!

I don't think there would be a difference. I may or may not get it.

The problem is not "the US is evil", the problem is a thing making it all the way to me. And if it's something new, they'd make me pay taxes and I just can NOT pay anything.

I am SURE my internal drive still works. The problem is software, the permissions. I can see it right now, mounted on the desktop. It just won't let me use it because I don't have the permissions for that. But repairing permissions with disk utility is not fixing it. I tried multiple times. What I could do as last resort, is reformat and reinstall the OS, but I'm trying to avoid that, and trying to find a way to save the data on it.
Boot able Linux distro with hfs read drivers to shuffle things around until you can wipe a drive?
Vulture posted:
Is this related to File Vault in any way?

oh no, I never used that
Betonhaus posted:
Boot able Linux distro with hfs read drivers to shuffle things around until you can wipe a drive?

I tried that, couldn't begin to understand the instruction to do that, on an a partition on a external drive, so I could dual boot, on a very old mac...

shuffle what around? I can't access the internal drive, THAT is the problem.

I AM booting from an external drive. I could easily wipe the internal drive and reinstall the OS. I'm just trying to find a way to save the data. But I'm about to give up on that.

AGAIN, the problem drives still works, but it appears as locked and says I don't have permissions to open it.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Almost every modern Linux distro has a full GUI environment in their bootable installers. You can move files around the same way you would in MacOS.

In fact, have you considered just running Linux on your Mac? I'm typing this post on that 10 year old VAIO because Linux is running well enough that it became a viable "daily driver" again. Unlike your ancient version of MacOS, it's still getting updates. (security and otherwise) You might consider if there is anything in MacOS you truly can't live without.

While some people consider it tacky, Ubuntu's Wayland desktop environment can be modded with a global menu to look a whole lot like MacOS as well, though I found it didn't take that long to transition back to window menus.
i couldn't get it to work, i did something wrong maybe, no linux

DONT KNOW IF I'LL EVER TRY AGAIN

I WANT TO FIX THIS, WITH MAC OS

I JUST NOTICED THE CAPS LOCK IS ON, SORRY BUT THIS POST WILL STAY IN ALL CAPS
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Eh, your call. I'll just say that the difference in performance between MacOS and Linux on the same hardware is incredible, though.
Vulture 420
I think if Uki just knew why the hell the thing was locked he'd be able to unlock it in MacOS. I doubt trying to struggle through a foreign LInux distro for the first time would help. Whatever you're going to do in Linux can be done in his current OS.

I'm no Terminal Command guy, but apparently you can boot from an install disk (or just another partition like you've been doing?) and open Terminal from the install disk and type this to unlock the drive:

chflags 0 /volumes/*

chmod a+rx /volumes/*

Can you who are knowledgable confirm these commands are useful and correct and how they work?

Forgive me Uki if what I wrote is annoying because you've been here a thousand times and are fed up.
Vulture posted:
I think if Uki just knew why the hell the thing was locked he'd be able to unlock it in MacOS. I doubt trying to struggle through a foreign LInux distro for the first time would help. Whatever you're going to do in Linux can be done in his current OS.

I'm no Terminal Command guy, but apparently you can boot from an install disk (or just another partition like you've been doing?) and open Terminal from the install disk and type this to unlock the drive:

chflags 0 /volumes/*

chmod a+rx /volumes/*

Can you who are knowledgable confirm these commands are useful and correct and how they work?

Forgive me Uki if what I wrote is annoying because you've been here a thousand times and are fed up.

I'm at the point of trying anything and close to just wipe it and reinstall.
I stick fiddling FIXED IT!

The internal drive now boots and everything seems to be there and work as expected.

What I did was:

-reformat the external drive and install Mac OS there
-boot from that external, and run terminal there, and do this: https://www.fixkb.com/2011/01/hard-driv ... n-mac.html

ph34r my 1337 h4xx0r 5k1llzz!!11!!1one!!11!!!eleven!!!1!

well... I think... I hope I fixed it. It seems to be working, fingers crossed, and toes too.

Last edited by ukimalefu on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 am.

OK, I actually may still need help

even if my main (external) drive seems to be working, the permissions on it are still wonky and its sudoers file may be corrupted...? according to all the googling I did, that may be the reason I couldn't fix anything from the OS install on that drive.
I had a 3 TB Samsung bus powered drive that failed.

It deteriorated and became less reliable and eventually showed up as a defective volume.

It turned out that inside the case were two separate sata drives connected together in a hardware raid configuration that presented itself to the computer as a single USB volume.

After dismantling the case I found out that it was the tiny raid controller/USB interconnect hardware that had failed. The drives themselves were fine.
I did not bother attempting to recover any information but it was the hidden hardware RAID that made the problem difficult to figure out at first.
Vulture 420
ukimalefu posted:

even if my main (external) drive seems to be working, the permissions on it are still wonky and its sudoers file may be corrupted...? according to all the googling I did, that may be the reason I couldn't fix anything from the OS install on that drive.

So is the problem now that even if it works temporarily you have no place to back up your material to a second location?
Vulture posted:
ukimalefu posted:

So is the problem now that even if it works temporarily you have no place to back up your material to a second location?

I do, but I already lost everything. Well, I have some older backups. Most of the things I lost I can re-download, but I'd have to do that. It will be a long tedious process, when I get to it.

The problem is I'm not sure everything is 100% what it should be. But for the most part It's up and running again... maybe I'm just paranoid?

This mac is really old after all. It's running on thoughts and prayers sprinkled with hope.

-

I guess I'll let you know if it stops working again. Thanks for caring.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Power outages killed my hard drive

Page: 1, 2