Power outages killed my hard drive

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Disk utility says it can't repair it, tells me to backup what I can and reformat. I guess I'll have to do that.

i do have some copy of diskwarrior, it can repair it either

I

lost

so

stick fiddling

much

:cry:

:whaa:
Vulture 420
Wow, is it an external or internal?
Crap. Sorry, uki.

A lesson to us all: do your backups frequently!
Vulture posted:
Wow, is it an external or internal?

it's an external
Vulture 420
Is it a spinning platter? I'm wondering if the data is safe on the platter but the electronics controlling the hard drive are damaged. I'm no data recovery expert, but in such cases the electronics might be able to be replaced to get the data off.
good news (?)

it booted, and I managed to copy some stuff of it, maybe not all I'd like to but better than nothing I guess

it showed an unusual progress bar when booting (unusual for OS X 10.6.8 anyway) normally it's just the spinning icon

will try disk utility to repair it again later, but I think I may try reformatting anyway, maybe make a couple partitions for emergencies and to play with

whatever will be, will be
Vulture posted:
Is it a spinning platter? I'm wondering if the data is safe on the platter but the electronics controlling the hard drive are damaged. I'm no data recovery expert, but in such cases the electronics might be able to be replaced to get the data off.

spinning platter

and if it dies, it dies
turned it off and on again, zapped the pram just because, still works

did the progress bar thing again and it was a long slow boot process, but it works

so... it's not dead... yet...?

I'm gonna keep using it

crossed fingers x4
juice Inadvertently correct
That is a remarkably flexible ring finger.
Did your surge protector fail? They do wear out over time.
Betonhaus posted:
Did your surge protector fail? They do wear out over time.

well, it's working right now (both the surge protector and the HD), so that's not the problem, I don't think...

it was a series of brownouts and blackouts, unexpectedly and forcibly being shutdown at different times...
Are those frequent enough to justify a UPS?
Betonhaus posted:
Are those frequent enough to justify a UPS?

I would SO get an UPS, if I could afford it
Condolences. Any chance you could get a UPS to prevent that in the future?
Vulture 420
Amazing that it is back from the dead? Did you have to wipe it to get it to work or did you get all the data off it?
Vulture posted:
Amazing that it is back from the dead? Did you have to wipe it to get it to work or did you get all the data off it?

I did nothing.

I got some stuff off it

Seems to be working smoothly... :paranoid:
Kirk posted:
Condolences. Any chance you could get a UPS to prevent that in the future?

I don't think so
Would an SSD be less subject to damage from these kinds of power issues?
macaddict4life posted:
Would an SSD be less subject to damage from these kinds of power issues?

Well, I guess it would be less prone to damage, having no mechanical moving parts, but it would still rely on electricity, so data could still be corrupted.
Generally drives get hosed when they are being written to and they lose power or are ejected while writing.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Out of curiosity, why is a UPS such a non-starter? There are several hacks on the Internet that will let you use a deep-discharge (trolling motor) battery with an existing UPS. Find a dead one somewhere, get a trolling motor battery, and boom - up to an hour or more of backup power.

I have a box of dead UPS units in my office. Sans battery, they would be reasonably shippable. (the transformer is still heavy)
I think the issue lies in his residency
juice posted:

Yeah, I get that bit, but is the problem legal, economic, or something else? I would have no issue shipping a battery-less UPS if Uki could come up with the battery.
maurvir posted:
juice posted:

Yeah, I get that bit, but is the problem legal, economic, or something else? I would have no issue shipping a battery-less UPS if Uki could come up with the battery.

all of the above?

mostly economic?

Find the battery? :lol: of you're serious? no, last time my father's car needed a battery, I had to go with him, stay in line for about 12 hours, and take turns sleeping in the car.

there's also the risk of whatever you send never getting to me, or they may decide to charge taxes I can't pay...

But I really do appreciate the offer, I truly do.

but lets no change the topic, please

the hard drive is still alive, no idea why disk utility thought it was hopeless, maybe it will crap out eventually?

cross your fingers, and if you send anything, how about some of those thoughts and prayers that seem to solve all american problems?

;)

:goth:
dv
ukimalefu posted:
cross your fingers, and if you send anything, how about some of those thoughts and prayers that seem to solve all american problems?

;)

Don't kid yourself - indiscriminate and injudicious application of large sums of money is both the cause of and solution to all American problems.
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

;)

Don't kid yourself - indiscriminate and injudicious application of large sums of money is both the cause of and solution to all American problems.

god bless america
Vulture 420
Damn uki, I forget where it is you live but it makes me appreciate seeing your posts here.
I think it's finally dead... and by "think", I mean I'm in denial.

*sigh*
... How hard would it be to replace the drive?
Betonhaus posted:
... How hard would it be to replace the drive?

very

I will try to reformat... eventually... maybe later today...

I have another drive, that I'm using right now, but it's full, so I can't do much with it or save new stuff.

I would just "use the cloud", if i didn't have such a slow internet, with super slow upload speeds...
fiddlesticks it I'm reformatting right now
Uki, we've talked about it before, but how bad are your odds if I send you something? I know the situation in general is worse. Maybe if I disguise it by putting it in a super beat-up enclosure I have lying around?
Done, formatted and OS X 10.6 installed

next step, apply the update to 10.6.8
macaddict4life posted:
Uki, we've talked about it before, but how bad are your odds if I send you something? I know the situation in general is worse. Maybe if I disguise it by putting it in a super beat-up enclosure I have lying around?

The odds if sending it by regular mail like before? yeah, you're right, worse than before, we got very lucky last time. I suppose, but I have no way to be sure, that there could be safer options, that would be expensive for you, so thanks but let's not do that.

Well, the old WD drive is working again, for now.
Well, if you don't need much storage, 256GB SSDs are pretty cheap. I could disguise one in some Trump campaign materials to see if the sheer disgust keeps the customs officials away from it. ;)
maurvir posted:
Well, if you don't need much storage, 256GB SSDs are pretty cheap. I could disguise one in some Trump campaign materials to see if the sheer disgust keeps the customs officials away from it. ;)

Or made them think I'm a CIA spy and they come to get me...

When I said expensive, I mostly meant shipping via something like fedex.

Also, I hate to ask for things, especially people expending money on me. I feel weird even if people offer. :heh:
reformatted, again, as a single partition

reinstalled mac os 10.6, again

the 10.6.8 update still refuses to install

fiddlesticks me
Too many damaged blocks?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Power outages killed my hard drive

Page: 1, 2