wav files in Safari

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot]
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I feel stupid because I can't figure this one out, so help.

We have an ancient, cruddy ticketing system at work and a goofy ass voicemail system.

Anyway, voicemails end up in the tickets as .wav file attachments. When I try to play them in Safari on any of my Macs, I just get a play symbol with a big nope through it.

Other people on Macs can play .wav files in Safari.

I know I can download the wav and play it or use a different browser, but I don't want to. I want to use Safari.

Where do I go to fix this?
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
other people can but you can't?

that's weird

maybe... an extension you have is blocking them?

OR, maybe you need a Safari extension that allows it?
Yeah, I don't know. From what I've read, Safari doesn't support playing wav files. But I seem to be the only one having an issue. On all of my Macs...
First: which version of Safari? Mine is current, version 12.1.2.

I tried to reset things like JavaScript for my Safari but was unable to get it to STOP being able to play wav files on my MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave).

That and that others can play the same wav files suggests that as uki had asked that there might be some peculiar extension that has been added to your versions of Safari that are not on those other Macs. Care to list your extensions (well, unless one of them is rather obviously named like WAVblocker [not a real extension, only a just-suppose title])?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
It might be one among the installation of things like Perian, Flip4Mac, VLC, and MPlayer, which I consider mandatory on macs that enables it.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Metacell posted:
It might be one among the installation of things like Perian, Flip4Mac, VLC, and MPlayer, which I consider mandatory on macs that enables it.

Perian was the best thing, but it doesn't work on recent Macs, nothing after OS X 10.8 I believe.

Flip4Mac... maybe, if that's still a thing.
ukimalefu posted:
[snip]

I just checked my Flip4Mac on my MBP and saw that while supposedly there was an upgrade available up to version 3.3.8, when I clicked on that I got sent to a webpage that is announcing that all "[o]fficial support for Flip4Mac will end on June 28, 2020" while inviting me to download a new System Preference called Switch which supposedly will support some non-QuickTime-compatible media formats on Macs with macOS 10.13.0 (High Sierra) or newer.

Do note that there is only a limited time demo available but you can BUY Switch "starting at $9.99" (by which I guess they mean that there are some level of upgrades available, though I did not even try the demo so I don't know for sure).

I can use VLC if I must.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:

Perian was the best thing, but it doesn't work on recent Macs, nothing after OS X 10.8 I believe.

Hmm...it's still in my system preference panels (OS X 10.12.6), but I can no longer tell where any specific functionality is coming from anymore. I definitely can play .wav files in Safari though.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
Yeah, I still have a free Flip4Mac installed, but I uninstalled Perian years ago.
The only Safari extension I have installed is the SentinelOne Endpoint Protection, which would be on all our Macs at work.

I have VLC installed and can use that to download and play the wav files.

I uploaded a wav file to my personal webspace and can play it fine in safari there, so it has something to do with our ticketing system... But I have yet to figure out the difference between why it doesn't work for me and does for others. Possibly a difference in themes I'm using?

More research required...
obvs My password is "contraseña"
If you go to :Saafari:Preferences:Websites:Auto-Play, is there anything in the window related to what you're experiencing?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

wav files in Safari