Two years since I got a phone

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
obvs My password is "contraseña"
I bought an HTC One M9 based on maurvir's recommendation a few years ago, and replaced the bootloader and put LineageOS on it, and it's been a really good phone.

But the battery is not doing so well now, to be honest. It gets down to about 15-25% and then shuts off without warning. I have tried the power reset thing to make it try to correct that behavior, and while that fix worked just fine way back when, it doesn't work so well now. It's getting pretty frustrating.

I see that modern phones are like $600-1500, and that seems kind of crazy to spend on a phone. I am thinking about getting a new phone, and am looking for suggestions. I was also thinking about switching to Mint Mobile, because their prices seem really good(and actually, seeing that my phone wasn't supported on their network was what made me think maybe it made sense to look at a new phone).
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Their plans look pretty good but the prices on their phones are way the hell out of line, a good 30% above market.
I hadn't been planning to get a phone through them. I was thinking BYOD.

Last time I spent $150ish on a phone, and I got a phone I was pretty satisfied with. I'm not planning to pay $400+ on a phone this time, either. $200 or less seems perfectly fine by me, unless there's some feature I absolutely have to have which pushes the phone above that price point.
Vulture 420
I never wanted to spend $1500 on a phone, but since the trade in value of the new iPhone 11 Pro is supposed to be so high, I know that even without an "upgrade plan" I can trade it in next year if I want for whatever the hell I pay over the next year. So, plunk down money this year for the new one, upgrade next year for that new one, and possibly just hold on to it for as long as possible like I did with my last phone since 2013.
Lombo Opiofiend
Exactly right, Vulture. I know that when I am going to upgrade to the iPhone 14 my Eleven will still be quite valuable. So the price is less of an issue. Also it replaced everything for me. I no longer use my Mac nor a tv. It does everything. And it’s not 1500$. Mine will cost 979$ minus 200$ for the iPhone 7 I traded-in.
Just make sure you pay attention to the reviews. On cheaper phones they may sacrifice reliability in some cases and in others focus solely on reliability. I couldn't tell you which is which.
Vulture 420
That's good that you got to save some money, Lombo. The only reason mine is so expensive is I have nothing to trade in and I plan on doing a lot of video so I opted for maximum storage.
Um, anyone here on Macstack looking to upgrade to an iPhone 11 wanna toss obvs an "upgrade" by selling him your old iPhone for the amount of Apple's trade-in rebate?
Vulture 420
Great option!
Lombo Opiofiend
I got screwed when I bought the 7. It had defective mic. I sold it to my wireless provider thus screwing no one. I will never buy used electronic tonics ever again.
Vulture 420
I just realized that even going 6+ years without upgrading my phone, I will still be using the same connection/charging protocol: Lightning. I think it's great I now will have the option of wireless charging, and although it was made out to be a big deal to rumor wireless charging, Apple doesn't think it's a big deal at all.
dv
I've been thinking about one of these. It's only a marginal upgrade from what I have, but it has a headphone jack and some water resistance (the Essentials PH-1 has neither.)

And to my knowledge the founder of ASUS wasn't paid to go away after sexually harassing a bunch of people.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am just going to put a new battery in my iPhone 5c and call it a day.
dv
Pariah posted:
I am just going to put a new battery in my iPhone 5c and call it a day.

I did that once already.

I still keep it charged, on the shelf. For when I really want to play the original Angry Birds. (You can't get it anymore. The sequel is a total microtransaction based, ad-filled shitfest.)
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Vulture posted:
I just realized that even going 6+ years without upgrading my phone, I will still be using the same connection/charging protocol: Lightning. I think it's great I now will have the option of wireless charging, and although it was made out to be a big deal to rumor wireless charging, Apple doesn't think it's a big deal at all.

It’s not that Apple doesn’t think it’s a big deal, it’s that they failed at it.
mmaverick posted:
Vulture posted:

They failed horribly. They didn't plan the Airpower until much later, and the slow realization that maybe they should've been planning ahead and ensuring that all the devices they were selling were compatible with the same protocol.

But what do I know. The only devices i ever had with wireless charging were third-party Wii Remote Batteries, and they were human waste.
DEyncourt posted:
Um, anyone here on Macstack looking to upgrade to an iPhone 11 wanna toss obvs an "upgrade" by selling him your old iPhone for the amount of Apple's trade-in rebate?

Of course that is dependent upon whether or not obvs would be interested in any iPhone.

So, obvs: any interest in being further enveloped by Apple?
Lombo Opiofiend
mmaverick posted:
Vulture posted:

What do you mean by that? AFAIK the only thing different in the wireless charging from android to iPhone is 2.5w. I.e : iPhones charges at 7.5w and Android at 10w. I bought an Apple dock so I don’t care for wireless charging. My dock have both power and a lineout. Very nice. It is very elegant albeit pricy. Also the best thing I bought for negating any power anxiety is a big Kopplen 20000 mAh powerbank. This ensures that a dead phone is a thing of the past. I wish I would have bought the USB-C model however. Mine only have 2 USB type-a inputs and charge via micro-USB. Now I exclusively charge my devices through the powerbank as it charges my iPhone very very fast. I swear it is even faster than using an iPad charger.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Lombo posted:
mmaverick posted:

What do you mean by that?

I think he means that apple offered a multi-charger, phone and watch at the same time, but they never delivered it.

Still, apple uses a standard wireless system, so there's lots to choose from.
I'm not so much looking for budget phones as used phones and/or refurbished phones.
obvs posted:
I'm not so much looking for budget phones as used phones and/or refurbished phones.

So a year or two old flagship?
https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-SNE-LX3-F ... 928&sr=8-1

One thing about Huaweis is that they do have pretty good build quality, and EMUI is not that obnoxious and the apps can be completely disabled.
Obvs - How tough would it be to replace the battery?
You know what, Kirk?

maurvir's recommendation made it seem pretty much impossible, but now that you mention it, there's a HTC One M9 Battery Replacement video and an iFixit HTC One M9 battery replacement article.

It doesn't look like an easy repair, but it looks like for ~$20 it might be worth a try.

Thanks.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
The M8 and M9 are difficult, but not impossible. The battery is buried under the logic board, so you have to work through a lot of ribbon cables. I briefly toyed with the idea of resurrecting my M8, but it's SD801 SoC is pretty ancient at this point.
I have nothing against this phone, other than the battery sucks.

If I replace the battery I could use the phone for another two years, all for the cost of $30 and an hour or so of work. That seems workable.

Or maybe I'll brick my phone and need to buy another one. Either way, I'll be in a better situation.
Lombo Opiofiend
I was supposed to get my 11 today but my provider did not receive a single unit. I’ve decided to get an iPhone 11 pro instead of the 11 as I am always on my phone and the new oled is making me wasting my pants. I’ve gone with midnight green iPhone 11 pro 5.85 inch. I am fearing that I will find the screen too small. Does anyone have an X or XS and is there a big difference between 5.85 and 6.1 ? I watch a lot of video content. And cannot afford the pro max and also it is toooo big. 6.1 was the upper limit for me.
It appears I am now the proud owner of a brick.

So about those new phone recommendations...
I thought you'd decide on your plan b before you attempted fixing it? So that you can get the replacement as quickly as possible if you needed it?

Get a Motorola from Mint Mobile, Motorola makes high quality budget phones that don't skimp on critical features like the antennae or battery. The Motorola G6 for $200 is very highly rated and should last you for a long time.

If you want to splurge, the G7 Power has a MASSIVE battery at $300. The E5 Play at $130 miiight be good enough, but that's like the bare minimum.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Betonhaus posted:
I thought you'd decide on your plan b before you attempted fixing it? So that you can get the replacement as quickly as possible if you needed it?

Get a Motorola from Mint Mobile, Motorola makes high quality budget phones that don't skimp on critical features like the antennae or battery. The Motorola G6 for $200 is very highly rated and should last you for a long time.

If you want to splurge, the G7 Power has a MASSIVE battery at $300. The E5 Play at $130 miiight be good enough, but that's like the bare minimum.

I run a G6 for my phone, via Ting though, still T-Mobile's network.
It might be a bit of a downgrade, but I have an S-offed M8 in a drawer.
I bought a Google Pixel 3.
obvs posted:

:up:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:

How do you like it? How is the camera?
I don't have it yet. I looked in stores, but couldn't find any, and it was ~$100 less than everywhere else if I bought the refurb version from Amazon.
obvs posted:
It appears I am now the proud owner of a brick.

So about those new phone recommendations...

Out of curiosity, what did you do with the battery? I think the M9 battery will fit an M8.
The battery is in the bricked phone.

I am going to recycle it so that my data gets destroyed(although the phone is encrypted).
Lombo Opiofiend
The pixel 4 is out October 15th. :bummer:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Two years since I got a phone