What is your favorite Linux email client?

Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Yes, I'm one of those freaks that likes a unified mail system, rather than logging on to various websites. I don't bother with Windows, as I only use it to play games at the moment. (I might resume using it more if I ever get time to work on hardware development at home in the future). I use BlueMail on Android, and so far Thunderbird for Linux.

Thunderbird is fine on the main machine, which is fast and has oodles of RAM. It is a bit more... problematic on the old Sony. When it starts syncing, it will reliably get the fan going pretty fast. I've been looking at MailSpring, which is supposedly faster, but requires a separate account.

Are there any other decent Linux mail clients? Has anyone here used the MailSpring client?
run Outlook in Wine?
dv
https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-10-best-o ... -software/

Of those, I'd probably try MailSpring first, and if you like it, install it on your Windows machines too, for consistency's sake.
macnuke Afar
https://itsfoss.com/best-email-clients-linux/

only 9 listed.. but but is a little more informative on each client than dv's list.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I like my email unified as well, and hate the web interfaces for every one of my accounts.

I am also a Thunderbird person, as it handles all of the accounts for me.
If the answer is anything other than pine/alpine, you need to take your newfangled tech and go away, consarnit!
Is pine even a thing still? I remember using that on the uni mainframe back in the early 90's.
dv
maurvir posted:
Is pine even a thing still? I remember using that on the uni mainframe back in the early 90's.

Eastern Michigan University supported it through at least 2003.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
I check all my different email accounts through one gmail account by making everything automatically forward emails there.
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Eastern Michigan University supported it through at least 2003.

You can still use old builds, but Pine’s last release was in 2005. Alpine is different project using the Pine code as its base, and the latest version was released nearly 2 years ago.
I tried Mailspring, and I really, really wanted it to work out. As promised, it used vastly fewer resources and didn't tend to make the processor fan go nuts while downloading new messages, and the memory footprint was also slightly smaller than Thunderbirds. It is also a lot more cosmetically appealing than Thunderbird, with messages appearing in the system font at a reasonable size (as opposed to the default message window in Thunderbird using 16 point monospace type at times with no seeming way to fix it other than changing the zoom level). It really looks like a modern email client.

Except it didn't work. It initially connected to my gmail accounts just fine, and even started showing new messages okay. However, after a few minutes, they all went offline due to a syncing error. I did a resync, which temporarily fixed it, but a few hours later they were offline again. This went on for about 24 hours, during which I would only get new mail if I manually hit the big red button.

So, I uninstalled it (though I suppose I still have an account setup...) and went back to Thunderbird. It's kind of ugly, a lot janky, but it actually works.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What is your favorite Linux email client?