Why so many permissions for flashlight apps on Androids?

Online now: Google [Bot], Lombo, Metacell, mmaverick
"Most Android flashlight apps request an absurd number of permissions".

Since 2014 with Android 5 (Lollipop) all Android devices have a built-in feature which allows users to use the camera's flash as a flashlight (like iPhones do).

But I guess people get into comfortable habits and have continued to use older apps which number 937. Some of these apps have up to 1 million downloads.

Of those 937 apps, 408 require getting 10 or less permissions but 232 require getting 50 or more permissions with the champs requiring 77 permissions. The researcher at Avast studying this replied:
Quote:
Believe me when I say that some of the permissions requested by the flashlight apps are really hard to explain, like the right to record audio, requested by 77 apps; read contact lists, requested by 180 apps, or even write contacts, which 21 flashlight apps request permission to do

Also:
Quote:
the Avast researcher also found tens or even hundreds of other flashlight apps requesting other, equally dangerous permissions, such as the ability to kill backgrond processes, place phone calls, handle SMS messages, access geo-location data, or trigger downloads without notifying the user.

He also found 7 apps with outright malicious behavior. Unfortunately the article does not name these, but presumably the researcher has informed Google about these so the company could remove them from Google Play.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I last used a flashlight app around Android 4, as I know that I can just use the build in method.

My Moto G6, I can just do a simple gesture and it turns on.
dv
Some of it (not all) is probably just lazy programming - there's a way to request, like, ALL the permissions from the get-go and you don't have to actually think about how your app works.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Why so many permissions for flashlight apps on Androids?