Question: camera HDMI output settings and video capture.

Online now: Google [Bot]
Vulture 420
I've been contemplating buying one or two HD video capture devices or dongles to use with up to two cameras into a Mac laptop. I have had 3 different devices in mind and decided to buy the cheapest one and see if it works. It does indeed work, as evidenced with an old camcorder I have from 10 years ago that is 1080p, and using OBS as the software the image shows up. As a matter of fact, you don't even need to use OBS, you can just open up FaceTime on your Mac and set the input as "USB camera" when the device is plugged in and my camcorder becomes my webcam.
However, I have the Canon 5D MK IV and it will not work the same way. The camera has HDMI out, and I tested it by plugging the camera into a television set and was able to monitor the image just fine. Plugging back into the capture dongle I only get a blank black image.
So, my question is, what could be causing the device to not be able to read the HDMI signal from the Canon 5D? Is it a very specific resolution outputted or some other specification of the video image that is different and unrecognizable?
Since the device does work fine with the old camcorder I will probably keep it and get a second device to work with the 5D, but I feel like it may be a settings issue that does not seem to work in automatic mode in OBS or in MacOS when accessing the camera as a webcam.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
are you using the hdmi cable that came with the capture device?

are you using the software that came with it? (or downloaded the official software for it?

check whatever settings in the capture software are set to "hdmi"

uhm... maybe it's some kind of DRM thing so you don't plug in your bluray player?
Vulture 420
This particular device requires no specific software and is "plug and play". The HDMI cable I'm using is the one that I have for mini HDMI to HDMI, and it works fine on the old camcorder. The only software I've used are OBS, FaceTIme, and QTPlayer, all working on the old camcorder but not on the camera.
There is a different device I'm considering that does have its own software and supposedly the precise settings need to be selected for it to work, which leads me to believe there must be something I can access in a setting somewhere to make this work.
Check settings on both the capture software and the camera, but I suspect the camera. You may need to turn on the output of video through the hdmi port. I don't know canon cameras, but I've seen things like that.
Vulture 420
That's why I tested the Camera through a TV set and it works fine, the HDMI is outputting. I'm probably going to give up on this working unless it simply requires different free software that has some missing option implemented. I don't know what specifically about the HDMI signal would be different from the 5D that makes it unreadable.
Could there be "better software" that will read this HDMI signal with this device, or is it futile? I really have no idea. I've been back and forth since day 1 with support via email, and it's going nowhere fast on that end. I can't really fault them in the end because the device actually works with my "crappy" camcorder.
Maybe it's a DRM thing. Being digital devices using a digital interface, when you plug the camera into the tv, the camera sees a tv and says, "that's ok". When you plug into the computer, the camera sees a computer and says "nope, you're gonna pirate video!", or something like that. But I could be wrong.

Still, don't be satisfied with just plugging the camera into the tv. Go through the camera settings to see if there's an "output" option. Also try to find input options on the tv.

I had this panasonic camera. If I wanted iPhoto to detect it and extract the pictures automatically, it was one setting. If I wanted the SD card to show on the desktop to extract pictures manually, it was a different setting.

Could there be better software? maybe, I don't know.
Vulture 420
Just to clarify on the settings options on the camera, basically HDMI is outputted as soon as a cable is plugged in, and the different output settings are specific frame rates or AUTO, and the types of HDMI display options are either monitor only, monitor with camera info on display, or monitor and camera LCD together (the LCD on the camera otherwise goes dark when outputting HDMI). I've changed all of these options to see if it makes a difference, and there is nothing else that requires the HDMI signal to be outputted in nay other way.
As far as I know, there is no copy protection implemented in the HDMI output of the camera, however, between 10 years ago and today there may be something different about the HDMI signals that has changed that does stop the capture device from being able to read it, I just don't know what that could be and if it's a lost cause.
you should try the capture device's website

but i guess if the camera is so old the HDMI implementation could be different than whatver is current
Vulture 420
ukimalefu posted:
you should try the capture device's website

but i guess if the camera is so old the HDMI implementation could be different than whatver is current

This is what the website says for this device:
Quote:
With high speed USB 3.0 ,It can capture one signal channel HD HDMI video signal.Detect input and adjust output automatically. Options for requireded output. 1080p/60fps & UAC and UVC in & YUV 422 out. For green hand & pro. Suitable for devices with HDMI output such as blu-ray player, PS3/4, Xbox one ,360, Wii U etc.Capture resolutions up to 1080p ,60fps
A/V Input: HDMI v1.4

Strangely, the camera plugged in says "No Signal V. 1.8", so not sure what that means exactly. Now I have to see if this leads to more clues or not. My guess it's just a cheap device that isn't mad to work with this camera because there is something different about the HDMI output.
What I mean was, you should ask them for help with your specific camera.

Maybe google: can't capture video from "this canon camera model" trought hdmi to my mac. Something like that.

I hope you get it to work, I'm running out of ideas, good luck.
My guess is the Camera is running at 4k, see if you can change the output to 1080p.
Vulture 420
ukimalefu posted:
What I mean was, you should ask them for help with your specific camera.

Maybe google: can't capture video from "this canon camera model" trought hdmi to my mac. Something like that.

I hope you get it to work, I'm running out of ideas, good luck.

Oh yeah already doing that, email support is clueless so far.

avkills posted:
My guess is the Camera is running at 4k, see if you can change the output to 1080p.

Although it can do 4K video, the HDMI output is only at 1080p.

Thanks guys, see how weirdly strange this is?
Donkey Butter jerk face
Did you set the display on the 5d to HDMI?

On the camera menu under the camera icon in menu 5 there is an HDMI display option.

Also this article may have other useful info
https://timfordphoto.com/using-a-canon- ... sb-webcam/
Vulture 420
Yes, I've read that blog post and there is nothing there that I haven't tried. Thanks for helping. That menu you're referring to actually doesn't matter what it is set to to output HDMI, they are only options of whether you want the camera screen to go dark, go dark and show no info on the output to the screen, or not go dark while also outputting, so it outputs in every case.
So, it should just work, but it doesn't.

There is another device I'm eyeballing to get it to work on this camera, and it's only $150 as opposed to the $299 one in that blog.
Ok the only other thing I can think of is that the camera is either outputting 1080p59.94 and your capture device is set to 1080p60 or it is the other way around. Also the camera output might be RGB instead of YUV (YCbCr).
Vulture 420
avkills posted:
Ok the only other thing I can think of is that the camera is either outputting 1080p59.94 and your capture device is set to 1080p60 or it is the other way around. Also the camera output might be RGB instead of YUV (YCbCr).

I'm wondering if your second thing is what it is, but don't know how to align the settings between the camera and device to make it work (both at YUV or RGB). The camera is definitely 59.94, and although it says 59.94 in OBS when I check, something tells me even that may be off.
Vulture 420
Solved: Canon 5D MK IV webcam via USB

Ok, defeated by this hardware dongle, I went another route and did a search for "DSLR Webcam Software" and came up with this.

I dowloaded 2 small apps, hooked up my camera via its own USB out, and it came up in OBS immediately. I'm kind of stunned.

So the first app is something called Camera Live, which recognizes my camera and makes it ready for use after plugging in via USB.

The second app is CamTwist, which I have tried before for something when I first investigated this topic but was lost in its functionality. Camtwist is used to select something called Syphon as the video source and you select Camera Live as the Syphon Server. That's it, you're done. Now you can select Syphon as the video source and the camera is your "webcam".

I've opened QT Player and under New Movie Recording, the camera feed is automatically there as the source. I have not been able to open up the camera source in FaceTime yet as it doesn't come up as a working option under Video, not sure why. However, using Skype, selecting CamTwist as the video source, the camera image comes up. Selecting that source in FaceTime renders a default CamTwist image, not the camera output. Oh well, I'm 95% there, and now I have a hardware dongle for my old camcorder and a working solution for the real camera with whatever lenses I want with no more money spent.

The crazy part is that the Tim Ford photo blog that explains how to use your Canon 5D Mk IV as a webcam is rendered OBLITERATED with this native USB free software option.

Last edited by Vulture on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am.

Success via good old USB huh

That took some doing
Cool. Pretty sure there is a way to get it working via capture hardware device; but interestingly that article says it will work with my DLSR. Hmmmmm.....
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Question: camera HDMI output settings and video capture.