iOS 13 is awesome

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
Online now: Google [Bot]
Pithecanthropus posted:
This is the single greatest thing about iOS 13.

Heh. I just got bitten by this as Betonhaus explained here.

I called Apple Support for my problem here and I got a quick call back from Apple BUT it got sent to voicemail on my iPhone.

For now I have unset that option.
Well, except that it isn't QUITE working properly.

I do have an Apple phone number: 1-800-MYAPPLE.

The number of the phone call I received from Apple but instantly went to my iPhone's voicemail is 1-800-692-7753 which IS 1-800-MYAPPLE.

Just to prevent that from happening again, I added that number version to my list.

I did let the Apple Support guy know about this anomaly.
iOS 13.1.3 is now available (so is iPadOS 13.1.3 but I do not have an iPad so I cannot confirm that any update attempt will work yet).

Here is Apple's list of fixes and improvements in iOS 13.1.3.
Vulture 420
I think I'll wait for 13.2
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I haven't been following this because i'm lazy and i hadn't updated yet. I have now. Not sure about how i feel about this and my choices i made while i was half asleep. I guess i should read all these comments when i have a little time. :D
Well, I am not one whose life is centered on my iPhone--perhaps there may people who have critical apps on their iPhones such that they cannot afford to lose their use even for a short time--so generally I don't bat an eye at running any iOS update.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
For me, it's been more about aesthetics. I need tolearn more about the shortcuts feature, and kinda like the files folder.
So I called Apple about another problem. Do note that while I have that numeric version of 1-800-MYAPPLE in my Contacts, nonetheless the first call from Apple went directly to voicemail.

I am leaving that option to send unknown callers directly to voicemail off for now.

-----

Anyway, I had a very odd thing that happened. I looked on Calendar on my MBP to see if it was synching properly with Calendar on my iPhone, but I saw that one item that I had added recently through my iPhone did NOT appear in Calendar on my MBP.

So I set up a test appointment for noon tomorrow on my iPhone then got my iPhone to synch. Nothing appeared for tomorrow on my MBP.

Just to make sure that my connection was working properly, I set up a test contact entry into Contacts on my iPhone, then synched. That test contact was added to Contacts on my MBP. I deleted that from Contacts on my MBP, then after synching that test contact disappeared on my iPhone.

So I set up a support call with Apple. I got kicked upward two levels to a senior support tech who found the answer. It is rather obscure which was part of the reason why I couldn't find it because it involved ANOTHER iPhone option that I was completely unaware of and possibly introduced with iOS 13.

BTW: Apple Support was hampered by not being able to make a connection to either my iPhone or my MBP, so they could not see what I had on my machines.

If you open Calendar on the iPhone, at the bottom center there is an option of "Calendars". If you open that, you can see a number of options which can be used. Note that MOST are in different colors. On my phone the option of "Calendar" in the list has a BLUE checkbox.

What I hadn't been noticing was that all my recently added Calendar entries had a YELLOW background. It never occured to me that those colors made any difference. When I opened my test appointment on my iPhone's Calendar, it was in yellow while the other appointments that got synched with my MBP's Calendar are in blue. So I opened my test appointment and saw under the entry of Calendar that "Found in Natural Language" was selected. I changed that to "Calendar" and now the entry in my iPhone's Calendar was in blue. After synching, that test appointment was added to my MBP's Calendar. After deleting it from my MBP's Calendar and then synching, it also disappeared from my iPhone's Calendar.

So why was my iPhone's Calendar defaulting to the "Found in Natural Language" Calendar? That Apple Support guy didn't have an answer to that, saying that probably because most people use iCloud to do synching that it was only in my weird situation that this problem happened. I could hear his virtual shrug when he suggested that this was just an oddness introduced with iOS 13 or one of the later updates.

Oh, to fix that default the Apple Support guy pointed me to: on the iPhone open Settings>Calendar, then find "Default Calendar". I saw that mine was set to "Found in Natural Language", so I corrected that to "Calendar". Now that I am aware of this feature--you can make additions with a few different colors for different kinds of events within the Calendars option inside Calendar--if a new entry in Calendar has a different background color then I can change it immediately then later on reset that "Default Calendar" if another update to iOS changes that option to something else.
Let me add this question here although perhaps it should have gone into my iPhone thread since this may be a basic question, but:

Is there any way to put a TXT message poster into a banned list? For example: I just got a TXT from some doofus advertising shoes. I am not interested in shoes at all, so obviously his/her post was NOT based upon ANY data that could possibly have been gleaned about me while shopping offline, and I hardly do any shopping online (especially none of that for shoes). It is possible that this is a completely different poster from the one I had seen before, but based on the text content I'm fairly certain that this poster is the same.

I see that under Settings>Messages there is an option for blocking, but it looks like I somehow must add that particular poster into my phone list just to use that option.

So I guess there is just no way to create a banned list (except perhaps to use some program other than the iPhone's built-in Messages)?
Create new contact named 'Hammer Time'. Add every phone number you want banned to that contact. In your settings ban that one contact. Add new undesirable phone numbers to that contact. I got up to 40 phone numbers before needing to create Hammer Time2
Kirk posted:
Create new contact named 'Hammer Time'. Add every phone number you want banned to that contact. In your settings ban that one contact. Add new undesirable phone numbers to that contact. I got up to 40 phone numbers before needing to create Hammer Time2

Ah, thanks! So obvious but AFTER the explanation.

Considering that I have set up Messages to be as unresponsive as I can (I think), there isn't any way for that poster to know that he has been banned, yes?
Donkey Butter jerk face
I've done that but used the name "A List of Blocked Callers" this way it shows up at the top of my contacts list and I don't have to go scrolling when I want to add another number to the list.
Lombo Opiofiend
13.2 is nearing final release. My version is 17B5084A. Meaning that is it the final beta. All the bugs I’ve had are squashed.
Vulture 420
Lombo posted:
13.2 is nearing final release. My version is 17B5084A. Meaning that is it the final beta. All the bugs I’ve had are squashed.

Oh man, finally! :D
I have a question though it probably predates iOS 13.

I have a Notes app on my MBP.

I have a Notes app on my iPhone.

Is there some way to get my iPhone's notes within Notes to be transferred or synchronized with Notes on my MBP?

Frankly I have never used the Notes app on my MBP and had scarcely used the version on my iPhone, but I would like to save those notes that I created on my iPhone just for backing them up.
Donkey Butter jerk face
DEyncourt posted:

Is there some way to get my iPhone's notes within Notes to be transferred or synchronized with Notes on my MBP?

Frankly I have never used the Notes app on my MBP and had scarcely used the version on my iPhone, but I would like to save those notes that I created on my iPhone just for backing them up.

make sure you are signed into the same iCloud account and that you don't have "on my iPhone" account turned on and they should sync on their own.

It may take a little while for the files to sync over if you haven't used it in a while
Donkey Butter posted:
DEyncourt posted:

make sure you are signed into the same iCloud account and that you don't have "on my iPhone" account turned on and they should sync on their own.

It may take a little while for the files to sync over if you haven't used it in a while

Well, I don't have many of them (16) so time shouldn't be a problem.

OK, so I have enabled the iCloud settings on both my MBP and my iPhone, and then I copied MOVED all of my notes from "On my iPhone/Notes" folder into my "iCloud/Notes" folder. Thanks, that SEEMS to have worked in that I can now see them on both my iPhone and my MBP...

...BUT does this mean that on my iPhone that these notes will only be accessible as long as I have a working WiFi connection? So when I go out and thus away from my home LAN then my notes will become inacessible until I return home? Because if the answers to both questions are "yes" then this is rather annoying since I have in those notes things like the model numbers for the inkjet cartridges for my printer and a list of books that I might browse while at a store for consideration of buying. OK, I tried to access my notes even though they are listed under "iCloud" while my iPhone's WiFi was turned off, and I can still read them, but where exactly are my notes now? Oh, the same applies to my MBP: I can turn off its WiFi but I can still read my notes supposedly on my iCloud.

...and does this mean that I really haven't backed up anything but have only moved my few notes into my iCloud? Sure, chances are extremely low that anything I have in my iCloud will ever be lost forever, but I really did want my MBP's copy to serve as a backup.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I'm pretty sure the files are just downloaded to each device and then synced when they can reach back to the cloud.

Perhaps someone may know more than me on this one and can chime in and either confirm or deny the above info.
OK, I have this odd behavior:

1) I took my iPhone off of WiFi AND disconnected it from my MBP. I then changed the title by adding "A " to the front of the titles of a couple of them. I then reconnected my iPhone to my MBP and also turned on WiFi.

On my MBP under Notes I saw the titles change. OK, that seemed to have worked.

2) I again disconnected my iPhone from my MBP and turned off its WiFi. On my MBP I re-edited the title of both of those notes to remove the added "A ".

I reconnected my iPhone to my MBP and re-opened its WiFi. After many minutes now I have yet to see those titles change to agree with Notes on my MBP. This is after hitting the Sync button for my iPhone in my MBP's Finder window, so what gives?

3) only after I quit Notes on my MBP and restarted it again was iCloud forced to synchronize.

4) I again disconnected my iPhone from my MBP and disabled its WiFi. In its Notes I added "A " to a title.

Next on my MBP's Notes I added "b " to the title of the same note.

The difference in capitalization is due to the setting I have on my iPhone which automatically capitalizes in some situations. I am undecided on turning that option off on my iPhone or turning it on for my MBP.

I reconnected my iPhone to my MBP then did a synch. No change to the titles in either direction.

I re-enabled WiFi on my iPhone. It took maybe 5 seconds, but the title of that note in both my iPhone's Notes and my MBP's Notes now agrees, but they both have "A b " added to their titles, which I suppose makes sense in that the "A " was added first.

But this makes me hesitate to make any changes--especially in the middle--to any notes while my iPhone is offline. I suppose that I must create a new note that would outline any changes that I want to make, then wait to implement those changes only AFTER I get back home.
According to Xlr8YourMac.com: the updates of iOS 13.2, iPadOS 13.2, iOS 12.4.3 and tvOS 13.2 are now available.

I guess my MBP is still downloading it because my iPhone still has version 13.1.3.
I finished the download and update to iOS 13.2 on my iPhone 7.

Unfortunately none of my Podcast app problems have gone away. Currently I am waiting on hold with Apple Support.
Lombo Opiofiend
Came to post about the final release. Sorry about your podcasts issues,Denycourt
Vulture 420
Just updated to 13.2, have not tried anything of note yet.
Lombo Opiofiend
Deep fusion is nice. But to get it you have disable the capture outside the frame for photos. The video setting can remain(capture outside the frame). Also a nice perk is the ability to change video capture specification right in the camera app. No more going to the camera settings to change frame rate and resolution. Yay!
Lombo Opiofiend
Unfortunately it is enabled only for their latest hardware (iPhone 11 and 11 pro)
Vulture 420
It looks pretty cool when you're shooting for Portrait Mode with a low f stop like 1.4 to get that creamy background blur, but it sucks that you can't shoot video that way. There seems to be no way of shooting video with control over your f stop for depth of field.
iOS 13.2.2 and iPadOS 13.2.2 are out. The links are to Apple's respective lists of bug fixes and improvements.
I will note that after I installed iOS 13.2.2 on my iPhone 7 that at one point I had to physically disconnect my iPhone from my MBP because when my MBP was attempting to rebuild the iPhone's info screen it was taking a very long time (usually it takes under a couple of seconds).

After reconnecting my iPhone and MBP together, the info screen popped up quickly and the synch worked fine.

Unfortunately my iPhone's Podcast app is still acting oddly with the "Girl in Space" and "Skeptoid" podcasts.
I guess I have AN explanation--not particularly satisfying, mind you--for the odd behavior that my Podcasts was having. It did require a message sent to the Apple Engineering division.

So the steps to correct my situation were:

1) on the iPhone open Settings,

2) scroll WAY down to Podcasts,

3) scroll down to and click on "Download episodes",

4) change this from "All unplayed" to "Off".

The explanation given is that having Podcasts app on my MBP and the separate app on my iPhone both trying to download episodes was "confusing" my iPhone, forcing it act oddly.

This has fixed SOME of my podcast problems on my iPhone. In particular for the "Girl in Space" podcast my listing there still has some of the episodes with duplicates (meaning one version apparently fully downloaded and then a second version marked with a cloud icon) AND the rest had only one version though marked with a cloud icon. Somewhat giving up this, I got my iPhone to download only those with a single version though marked with a cloud icon to fully download each of those, and thus far my list for "Girl in Space" has not had any changes (knock wood).

But NOW I have at least one podcast where the new episodes will no longer transfer from my MBP's Podcast app to my iPhone's Podcast app. I guess back to Apple Support tomorrow....

-----

Now if I can only get Books in my iPhone to work properly. Right now my list of books to be transferred to my iPhone keeps getting reset to a shortened list of about 25 or so books. My complete e-book library has about 135 e-books, but I have tried to tell my iPhone list to include about 105 of them, specifically omitting from transfer about 30 of them (being books that I have read). As yet I have not found any particular pattern to those books which is in that list of 25 or so books.
iOS 13.2.3 and iPadOS 13.2.3 are out now.
iOS 13.2.3 has been installed on my iPhone.

Unfortunately this did nothing to fix my books problem which is MUCH worse than I thought.

I had thought that after I checked off the missing books then synched my iPhone with my MacBook Pro that all of the missing books were being transferred, but apparently at some point that stopped working. I was misled by how the e-book I am currently reading on my iPhone was one of those 26 books that was transferred.

It turns out that checking off books on my MBP does NOTHING. I can checkmark a book in my list of books on my MBP, do a synch with my iPhone, and nothing had been transferred. In fact when I disconnect my iPhone and then immediately reconnect it to my MBP, all added checkmarks disappear.

I was talking to Apple Support at the time when iOS 13.2.3 dropped online, so that guy suggested updating to that. He also suggested deleting the Books app on my iPhone. Did both; no change.
Vulture 420
And I thought this Apple stuff was supposed to "just work". My biggest problem with their incredibly convenient system where your phone texts show up on your computer and you can answer your phone on your computer has been that I've had to log in and log out of the Apple ID to get them to work upon upgrades. Maybe you need to somehow start from scratch on your syncing scenarios and repopulate the data.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Vulture posted:
Maybe you need to somehow start from scratch on your syncing scenarios and repopulate the data.

I was thinking that too.
Sorry, I meant to add at the end of my previous post that I re-added the Books app to my iPhone after deleting it. After that re-add there was no difference: the (un)checked books did not change.
Can I ask: is no one else here using an iPhone or iPad to read e-books? At all?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
DEyncourt posted:

uh... I would if I had one

-

can you do this? (you may think you already tried, I'm making this up to "fool" the software", just kind of brainstorming, throwing ideas at the problem.

FIRST BACKUP ALL YOUR BOOKS!

-make sure the app on the phone is set to NOT sync with your Mac
-delete all books
-THEN delete the app
-make sure the Mac app has all the books you want on the phone
-reinstall the phone app and turn on syncing

Did that work?

Is there a way to "trash preferences" on an iPhone?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I use my iPad 2 to read books all the time. It still has the biggest battery of all. I even figured out how to get new books into it without iTunes using Calibre's book server feature.

Of course, as an iPad 2, it's stuck on iOS 9.3.5, but other than that... ;)
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Oh,

would it be possible to transfer books to a different app?
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:

uh... I would if I had one

-

can you do this? (you may think you already tried, I'm making this up to "fool" the software", just kind of brainstorming, throwing ideas at the problem.

FIRST BACKUP ALL YOUR BOOKS!

-make sure the app on the phone is set to NOT sync with your Mac
-delete all books
-THEN delete the app
-make sure the Mac app has all the books you want on the phone
-reinstall the phone app and turn on syncing

Did that work?

Is there a way to "trash preferences" on an iPhone?

Thanks, uki, but already tried.
ukimalefu posted:
Oh,

would it be possible to transfer books to a different app?

Not likely, the books are locked to Apple's store. otherwise I'd recommend switching to Kindle and begin done with it.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

iOS 13 is awesome

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4