iOS 13 is awesome

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot], maurvir
Lombo Opiofiend
I’ve just installed iOS 13.1 beta2. It is awesome. Face ID is soooo fast. App launching is wicked fast. The dark mode is awesome. It is polished like no other release I’ve used so far. For example: In order to preserve the longevity of the battery the iPhone stays at 80% and begins charging to 100% just before you begins your day. Text manipulation and selection has been greatly improved. You can do 3 finger pinches in and out to copy/paste. Find my phone no longer relies on having internet on your device. Bluetooth is now used in a kind of peer to peer network with other iOS or Mac OS devices. That and so much more have been added.

I love it!
Vulture 420
I'm looking forward to being able to exit iOS 10 this year at some point.
Perhaps you can confirm this problem: with iOS 13 anyone with physical access to an iPhone can reveal the contents of its Contacts list without unlocking the iPhone:

1) call the locked iPhone from any other phone,
2) select "Message" to respond to the call,
3) select "Custom" in the pop-up menu to type in a TXT,
4) in Message, click on the "To:" field and that locked iPhone's Contacts list becomes readable.

Here is a video demonstrating this (note: the narrator speaks in Spanish).

While initially discovered about 6 months ago, the hacker who found it said that he can take advantage of this bug in the latest beta release.

As yet Apple has not OFFICIALLY responded, but a press release from Apple said that the release date for iOS 13.0 is scheduled for Sept. 19th and a (this?)bug-fixed iOS 13.1 will be released on Sept. 30th.
<raise hand> So who is opting to pass on iOS 13.0 and will wait until iOS 13.1 is available?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DEyncourt posted:
<raise hand> So who is opting to pass on iOS 13.0 and will wait until iOS 13.1 is available?

::raises hand::

Of course, I have a 6S Plus, so I want to hear LOTS of stories about how well it actually performs.
Lombo Opiofiend
I have it on my daily driver and it rocks. In related iPhone news. Videotron ordered me an iPhone 11 pro ´Bobba Fett’ édition to replace my iPhone XR. I am stoked !
Hey, Lombo, does iOS 13.x finally break iTunes into individual apps?

I am guessing not since that act likely must be coordinated with MacOS 10.15.x (Catalina) and the iTunes breakup with that release, but, man, I am hoping that that breakup will happen soon.
Lombo Opiofiend
I no longer use iTunes. I use music since I am subscribed to Apple Music (Apple Arcade and soon Apple TV+). There is no segmentation of content vis a vis what was in iTunes before. Honestly I no longer use iTunes nor Apple Podcast because of the great Overcast. They did not fix the contact bug still and this is on 13.1.
maurvir posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Of course, I have a 6S Plus, so I want to hear LOTS of stories about how well it actually performs.

Yup, I'm holding off with my 6S also for a while longer yet.
gd Hero of Twilight
I can’t speak for the performance of iOS 13 on an iPhone 6, but it runs flawlessly on my new iPhone 11. (Green is you’re wondering). It arrived in the mail yesterday.

:D
Seems to be running ok on my SE; but the shortcuts app does not see any non apple installed apps to make shortcuts which seems odd. I was going to add one for ADT. I ended up just deleting everything. Maybe it needs to monitor my behavior again to work right.
Lombo Opiofiend
My iPhone pro is supposed to be coming today. Have to call at 13:00
Donkey Butter jerk face
I picked up my 11 Pro on Saturday afternoon, 30 minutes after going online to reserve one. (no pre-order or other advanced booking prior to going online)
Lombo posted:
[snip]
They did not fix the contact bug still and this is on 13.1.

Are you sure about that? Apple had declared in a press release that iOS 13.1 would be released on September 30th. Or maybe THAT RELEASE will be 13.2.
Lombo Opiofiend
You’re right. It is fixed now
Lombo posted:
You’re right. It is fixed now

OK, just to be sure I have this straight: your iPhone 11 Pro came with iOS 13.1 which corrects the bug, yes?
Lombo Opiofiend
Yes. I just picked it up and updated to the gm
Lombo Opiofiend
13.1 GM. Also the camera is ridiculously awesome. And the screen :splooch:
Vulture 420
I'm getting closer to knowing what y'all are talking about.

Despite that previous Apple press release, iOS 13.1 is available NOW. I had it downloaded and installed into my iPhone 7 (if only so that iTunes would stop telling me that 13.0 was available).
BTW: there is another iOS 13 bug involving third-party keyboards:
Quote:
Third-party keyboards can either run as standalone, or with “full access” they can talk to other apps or get internet access for additional features, like spell check. But “full access” also allows the keyboard maker to capture to its servers keystroke data or anything you type — like emails, messages or passwords.

This bug, however, may allow third-party keyboards to gain full access permissions — even if it was not approved.

[bold added]

So don't use such keyboards with iOS devices until Apple releases its NEXT fix beyond 13.1.
iOS 13.1.1 is now available and it does address that keyboard bug along with other fixes.
Kirk posted:
maurvir posted:
DEyncourt posted:

OK, iOS 13.1.1 is out so its time to install
<crosses fingers>
Lombo Opiofiend
There are still bac bar bugs. Case in point: Overcast bugs when you try to add an URL and return. The nav bar is borked forcing an app kill. Also when you delete all apps in a folder you can’t close the now empty folder. But my Geekbench results improved with 13.1.1 so much so that my results are topping what is in Geekbench website.
Single core: 1337
Multi-core: 3521
Metal: 6403
Baseline: 1000: Intel Core i3-8100
Kirk posted:
Kirk posted:
maurvir posted:
DEyncourt posted:

OK, iOS 13.1.1 is out so its time to install
<crosses fingers>

What's the worse that could happen.... :evil:

Anyway I just read that the shortcuts app wasn't working because they disabled it in 13.0 but it is re-enabled with this 13.1 update. We shall see.
Did you know that there is a new iOS phone feature that was added with one of the recent updates?

1) Open Settings,
2) scroll down to Phone,
3) scroll down to Silence Unknown Callers (which did NOT exist before) and turn it on.
Now all unknown callers are sent directly to voicemail, no ringing.

I had asked if this feature existed in my iPhone thread. Now, if only Apple would add this for all callers NOT in my Contacts....

I was alerted to its existence by this article although it did not give the description above of how to invoke it. That article is mostly about how this addition and its use complicates phone polls.
That's a neat feature, but it's a bit broad for most people to use safely.
Betonhaus posted:

"safely"? Please explain: how so?

Does ANYONE answer any calls from an "Unknown Caller"? Does anyone even bother to check their voicemail when such voicemail is from an unknown caller?
DEyncourt posted:
Betonhaus posted:

"safely"? Please explain: how so?

Does ANYONE answer any calls from an "Unknown Caller"? Does anyone even bother to check their voicemail when such voicemail is from an unknown caller?

According to the iPhone "Unknown Caller" means any caller not in your contacts list, not callers who have have caller ID disabled or faked. That includes your kid's school, hospitals family may have found themselves at, your bank's fraud protection service, etc.
Lombo Opiofiend
If it is important they will leave a message. This is enabled on my phone and the only callers that don’t leave messages are telemarketers and such. It’s a great feature.
Nice, thanks for mentioning it. I'll go turn that on. I'm tired of the telemarketers.
Lombo Opiofiend
Also, before getting an oled-screen equipped iPhone, I hated dark mode as the black screen was not really black. But on an oled it is a whole another thing. It is beautiful. Overcast in black is GLORIOUS. I wish I knew how to make a wallpaper that switch depending on the status of dark/light.

On a related note did you knew that you can make a dynamic wallpaper by using a Live Photo. It is very nice.
Lombo Opiofiend
Just got an xbox controller to play my games and it is flawless. It enhances the gaming experience tremendously. Well worth it for oceanhorn 2, and sayonara wild hearts. Recommended.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Vulture 420
Got it in the mail today, restore from backup went smoothly, camera wide angle is fun, night mode works really well, getting used to the new iOS having come from 10.3.4 and having a nice and new screen. Already turned on Silence Unknown Callers and still have to go through the settings with a fine-toothed comb at some point to minimize unneeded settings and features.
On a side note, I always wondered what is going on when I see pedestrians at night on the IR surveillance DVR, and when holding an iPhone (I'm assuming), their faces are constantly being bombarded with random intensity and direction IR flashes from the phone screen. Testing this with the 11 Pro, I already had my phone unlocked and ready from the home screen, proceeding to use a few apps for a few seconds: Mail, Messages, YouTube, back to home screen, and there were tons of varying IR flashes on my face the whole time (verified after the fact with the DVR playback, of course). I am assuming that this is to detect how to display the screen in brightness or when to put the phone screen to sleep. I proceeded to cover the front camera and IR LED Notch area with some masking tape. The phone still works fine. I have not set up Face ID and don't plan on it.
I haven't had . chance to test the general night sky camera usability, but will later. Maybe I'll start a new thread just for the 11 Pro so other users can also share their usage experiences and pictures as these models have just been rolled out.
Lombo Opiofiend
It’s for Face ID among other things. As to why you would want to forego such a useful feature it escapes me.
Lombo Opiofiend
Go idea on the dedicated thread.
Vulture 420
Lombo posted:
It’s for Face ID among other things. As to why you would want to forego such a useful feature it escapes me.

But it's not for Face ID in my case as I never set it up. I don't want 3000+ IR flashes into my eyes per day just to keep my screen awake.
I do not have FaceID on my iPhone, but I have NOT set mine with fingerprint logins because I do not want my biometrics to be stored.

While RIGHT NOW I do trust Apple with a lot in terms of security, there are cases where like US Customs they are willing to suck down the entire contents of smartphones "just in case" after you unlock your devices as a courtesy for inspection.
DEyncourt posted:
I do not have FaceID on my iPhone, but I have NOT set mine with fingerprint logins because I do not want my biometrics to be stored.

While RIGHT NOW I do trust Apple with a lot in terms of security, there are cases where like US Customs they are willing to suck down the entire contents of smartphones "just in case" after you unlock your devices as a courtesy for inspection.

My understanding is fingerprints are only stored in Secure Enclave, rather than an accessible location for data retrieval.

Also, aren't they often scanning your fingerprints at the border anyway? Or is that not in the US; I can't recall, and now I'm global entry.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

iOS 13 is awesome

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4