fiat 500, rip

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot], Pariah
TOS
the li'l hatchback will no longer be sold in north 'murca

i guess my 500 is now officially a collector's item!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
The number of small cool, small car has been dwindling in NA for decades and this sad trend continues.
Funnily enough, the more per vehicle occupancy shrinks, the larger cars people seem to want. The North American family has never been smaller and family vehicles have not been this big since the age of the road locomotive in the 60's.
juice Inadvertently correct
The price of gasoline needs to quadruple in order to correct this terrible trend.
I'm disappointed that they are ditching the Fiesta
TOS
juice posted:
The price of gasoline needs to quadruple in order to correct this terrible trend.

the 500 started strong, but sales plunged as the price of oil dropped

cheap oil = big-ass vehicles
dv
Pariah posted:
The number of small cool, small car has been dwindling in NA for decades and this sad trend continues.
Funnily enough, the more per vehicle occupancy shrinks, the larger cars people seem to want. The North American family has never been smaller and family vehicles have not been this big since the age of the road locomotive in the 60's.

Saw some manlet in a Land Cruiser today. His head barely made it above the side window. Not sure how people manage to drive those things; must be all the gadgets and cameras.

Range Rover Evoque Convertible SUV. I wandered into a dealership one time and asked about it because i saw one and they are so desperate to find one that whenever one comes in for a service they offer them insane amounts of money for them.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
The actual and perceived lack of quality/reliability of fiat probably doesn’t help them out much either.
Add in that the car’s base styling hasn’t really changed since coming back in the mid 2000’s and you end up with a car that just doesn’t excite the average person like it did when it first showed back up on the scene.

I think it may enjoy a bit of a used car renaissance in a few years, similar to the Honda S2000 that was a big seller until Honda let it stagnate and die. It’s now a sought after car in the used market.
TOS
s2000s are awesome cars, tons of fun
lots of horsepower, very little head room.
dv
Betonhaus posted:

Who needs head room in a convertible. Using it in the rain would be sacrilege.
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Who needs head room in a convertible. Using it in the rain would be sacrilege.

Because I don't like having to scrape the bugs off my forehead. I'm 6'2"
Vulture 420
TOS posted:

Is it as bad as people say it is, the Fiat 500? Looked cool when I first saw them 10 years ago about, but is your 10 years old and is it holding up?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
the fiat spider looks nice https://www.fiatcanada.com/en/spider

Isn't that a rebadged Miata?
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

No. It's a rebadged MX-5 with a shiytier engine.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Ah, OK.
Gee, that's a poser...go with Mazda, a company well known for making fun and reliable cars or go with Fiat/Chrysler and get American design chops and that legendary Italian build quality. :lol:
The MX-5 is the Miata; I have one. It is a lot of fun. Driving in mild rain is not a problem with the top down.

The Fiat spider is built on the MX-5 chassis, and that is about where the similarities end.
dv
avkills posted:
The MX-5 is the Miata; I have one. It is a lot of fun. Driving in mild rain is not a problem with the top down.

The Fiat spider is built on the MX-5 chassis, and that is about where the similarities end.

I kinda want a Miata. :goth:
dv posted:
avkills posted:

what's wrong with wanting a MX-5?

That being said, you can get a FiST, FoST, or even a FoRS for dirt cheap
FiST
FoRS (350HP, AWD)
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Disagree. It’s turbo’d and higher horsepower than the MX5 engine.
Warin posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

the 2019 MX-5 has more horsepower than the 2019 124 Spider
Betonhaus posted:
Warin posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Huh. Doug Demuro is a lying jerk. Or I wasn’t listening closely enough to his Fiata review.
gd Hero of Twilight
Warin posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Warin posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Huh. Doug Demuro is a lying jerk. Or I wasn’t listening closely enough to his Fiata review.

The Fiat had the better engine until Mazda updated theirs.
dv
Warin posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Warin posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

I think he reviewed the Abarth version. It's turbocharged, less horsepower but more torque vs. the Miata.

https://www.thetorquereport.com/reviews ... roadsters/
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
avkills posted:

I'd love a Miata but if I was new car shopping from Mazda I'd end up with the Mazda 3 just because it is still a fun car but an order of magnitude more practical.
TOS
Vulture posted:
TOS posted:

Is it as bad as people say it is, the Fiat 500? Looked cool when I first saw them 10 years ago about, but is your 10 years old and is it holding up?

it's been fine ... the few things that have gone wrong with it i've been able to fix myself (such as the shift linkage bushing or reconnecting severed wires in the hatch)

seven years on, still a ton of fun to drive
The Fiat Spider is also heavier than the MX-5, so the extra horses and the turbo isn't really that big of a advantage. Mazda bumped the HP for the 2019 model. I have the 2016, I traded in my 2006 for it; and despite the 2006 having more HP, the 2016 is noticeably faster. I have the Club trim which includes better shocks, shock tower brace, brembo front brakes and BBS rims.

(I also have a POS Nissan Pathfinder that I bought as a beater, and for winter driving; ironically I drive the Pathfinder more probably. Depends on my mood and where and what I am doing that day)
dv posted:
avkills posted:

Go for a test drive.

(If you are in California near San Diego; go check out Goodwin Racing)
obvs My password is "contraseña"
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

Saw some manlet in a Land Cruiser today. His head barely made it above the side window. Not sure how people manage to drive those things; must be all the gadgets and cameras.
Did you really just use incelspeak?
Vulture 420
Manlets know they are manlets and refer to themselves as manlets in self deprecating humor. Interestingly, the Fiat 500 is a manlet of cars.
To be honest, I'm not surprised that someone who called himself a MGTOW is using incelspeak.
Vulture 420
obvs posted:
To be honest, I'm not surprised that someone who called himself a MGTOW is using incelspeak.

dv is MGTOW?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture posted:
Manlets know they are manlets and refer to themselves as manlets in self deprecating humor. Interestingly, the Fiat 500 is a manlet of cars.

Oh blatherskite. I'd drive the fiddlesticks out of a 500 Abarth. Men who assign gender status based on the size of the car are morons.
Vulture 420
Pariah posted:
Vulture posted:

Oh blatherskite. I'd drive the fiddlesticks out of a 500 Abarth. Men who assign gender status based on the size of the car are morons.

I don't think anyone is assigning gender status based on car size, unless that's what dv was saying and I didn't see it that way?
Vulture posted:
obvs posted:

dv is MGTOW?
:brow:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25004#p663186
dv
obvs posted:
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

Did you really just use incelspeak?

I'm not up on incel-ese. I figured it was an Anandtech forum in-joke. Most of those guys at least claim to be old and married, so, whatevs.

:shrug:
Vulture 420
obvs posted:
Vulture posted:
obvs posted:

dv is MGTOW?
:brow:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25004#p663186

Yep, I remember that very well, and I don't see the part where dv or anyone called himself a MGTOW. That was about this idea of "toxic masculinity" which is just "toxic" behavior attributed to men specifically, for no good reason except to devalue masculinity in men instead of the behavior. The same can be said for "toxic femininity". I do remember, however, that most people contributing to the discussion had a very negative opinion of MGTOW. What is new to me now is this idea of "icelspeak". Manlet is a word used in fitness social circles to describe a diminutive man (usually 5'8" and under) with an overly muscled physique.
I wasn't referring to dv.

And the only people I've ever heard use that are incels.
It's popular in même culture.

Granted, there is significant overlap.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

fiat 500, rip

Page: 1, 2