Help me decide (iPhone X or iPhone XR)

Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot], Pariah
iPhone X or XR
17% 17% [ 1 ]
83% 83% [ 5 ]
Total votes : 6
Lombo Opiofiend
Tomorrow I am going to buy either the iPhone XR or the old iPhone X.
I don’t know which model to get. On the one hand the iPhone X has dual cameras and a beautiful OLED screen the XR has a faster processor and sub graphic systems.
which one would you get
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
whatever costs less
Lombo Opiofiend
They cost approx the same.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
The XR may be faster, but for most things, you won't notice.

The XR's screen is bigger, but the X's should look better. Bigger could be better for video and games, OLED may look nicer. Only you can decide what you prefer. Also consider the size for what you prefer on you hand and/or pocket.

The XR comes in many colors, if that's important to you in any way.

The X's dual camera may be more versatile, and slightly better due to software trickery of combining both cameras.

here you can compare features side by side (click 'see all models')

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Which one has the most GB storage?
I can get a 64 GB XR or a 256 GB 8 for the same price.
I can't decide either.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I'm sure you have a reason, but why not wait a month until the new ones are released and either get one of those, or snag one of these two models you're looking at when they drop the price?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I would go with the XR only because it is newer and will be supported longer. With the faster processor, the upgrades will feel perky longer as well. My wife has an Xr and it is a perfectly fine device - the display is beautiful on it. Maybe not high-end OLED beautiful, but unless you set them side by side, you won't notice.

The only caveat would be how important photography is to you. If you really think you would use the extra options those dual cameras offer, the X is still a solid phone. It won't drop off the support map tomorrow, but it is now a couple of generations old. It won't be too much longer before a mandatory iOS update makes it feel its age.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
maurvir posted:
I would go with the XR only because it is newer and will be supported longer. With the faster processor, the upgrades will feel perky longer as well. My wife has an Xr and it is a perfectly fine device - the display is beautiful on it. Maybe not high-end OLED beautiful, but unless you set them side by side, you won't notice.

The only caveat would be how important photography is to you. If you really think you would use the extra options those dual cameras offer, the X is still a solid phone. It won't drop off the support map tomorrow, but it is now a couple of generations old. It won't be too much longer before a mandatory iOS update makes it feel its age.

The camera in the XR is pretty stick fiddling fantastic. I have one.

I'd hold them both before you make a decision. My XR is a really nice phone, but I miss smaller phones. Every time I hold someone's X or XS, which is really barely smaller anyway, it makes me a tiny bit sad for a minute.
Lombo Opiofiend
I went today to the store and picked a PRODUCT RED iPhone XR. It is indeed pretty stick fiddling fantastic. Plus It will help those who got aids in Africa. The reason why i bought now is that i could no longer use the iPhone 7 as i got swindled when i bought it (used- the lightning port did not carry audio and the microphone would drop out all the time. I will never buy a used iPhone again). I bought apple care+ and a dock with those. It was a stick fiddling expensive day. (1289$ + taxes)
Lombo Opiofiend
I wonder how much they will give out of a 1000$ to the product red foundation ?
Um, take it back for a refund. Like, right NOW because:
C. Ives posted:
I'm sure you have a reason, but why not wait a month LITERALLY 12 DAYS until the new ones are released and either get one of those, or snag one of these two models you're looking at when they drop the price?

[bold added]

The release date for the iPhone 11 is September 10th. Sure, chances are that the iPhone 11s availability will likely be limited for some time after that date, but even if you determine that there is nothing on the iPhone 11s that justifies its likely higher price, chances are that Apple will make some price break on all of their iPhone 10s.
Lombo Opiofiend
I really don’t care about the newest one. Have you seen the camera cutout for the new ones? Sooo ugly. Also when Trump will impose the 10% tariff I will be SOL because the supposed price drop will be less than that.

Also my iPhone was exchanged for a 150$ rebate. And I was screwed when I bought it. When your mics doesn’t work the Bluetooth headset does not work also. So I was paying for a cell phone service but without any access to either the speakerphone nor any microphone.
In short I will not wait any longer.
Lombo posted:

According to the Wikipedia page on Product Red, each company pledges to pay 50% of profits (so beyond the product's costs) to the Global Fund to Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

Determining the exact cut for your iPhone would involve getting into highly secretive Apple's production costs, but Apple claims to have contributed over $160 M to that Global Fund in this announcement released on April 9, 2018.
Lombo Opiofiend
The tariffs is supposed to be 15% Holy fiddlesticks the duck is strong with this one.
Lombo Opiofiend
DEyncourt posted:
Lombo posted:

According to the Wikipedia page on Product Red, each company pledges to pay 50% of profits (so beyond the product's costs) to the Global Fund to Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

Determining the exact cut for your iPhone would involve getting into highly secretive Apple's production costs, but Apple claims to have contributed over $160 M to that Global Fund in this announcement released on April 9, 2018.

I am pleasantly surprised. I figured they would give 50$ max. I did a good deed today then. I figure it gave them a couple hundreds dollars.
Lombo Opiofiend
I don’t get the interwebs hate towards this phone. The lcd screen is the best I’ve ever used. The resolution is mighty fine. OLED is overrated imho because the effective resolution is less then a lcd. The only thing I would have liked is the same form factor as the iPhone XS. The single camera is okay for me and due to having less pixel to push the battery life and the frame rate of games is the best I’ve seen and the best of all the iPhones produced so far. Also 1029$ is the absolute maximum I would spend on my pocket computer. In canada the XS start at 1379$ so add 200$ for apple care+ 15% GST+QST : Massive sticker shock.
I think the hate came from Apple choosing a "lesser display" for their "budget iPhone", unlike Samsung, who used virtually the same OLED on the S10E as they did the S10 and S10+.

That said, you are right. The display on the XR is amazing, and there is nothing wrong with it at all.
Lombo Opiofiend
They compromised on the SOC. Which is way worse than the screen.
Lombo posted:
They compromised on the SOC. Which is way worse than the screen.

All of the Galaxy S10's have the same SoC - The SD855. They did skimp on RAM a touch, with the s10e only getting 6GB instead of 8GB. However, that isn't going to be relevant over the period that the phones are supported.
Lombo Opiofiend
My bad. Anyway this lcd is the best I have used in my whole life. The black are not grays like they were on my iPhone 7. I love the insane battery life. There is not a thing I would change on it. It is the perfect iPhone (for me anyway).
Lombo Opiofiend
I’ve just red my cellular TOS and I can return my XR until October. 2nd. I am pondering asking for the eleven or trying to have them sell me the xr at the almost 250$ cheaper. Decisions, decisions.
You should note that unless your local Apple Stores have a particular model remaining in stock, Apple is no longer "actively" selling the iPhone Xs or Xs Max, AND that you may not find the iPhone XR at your desired capacity (Apple is offering only 64 GB and 128 GB models for the XR).
BTW: that happened to me with my current iPhone 7. Mine is a 256 GB version, but when Apple released the iPhone 8 and all of the iPhone X models, there was a marked price reduction for the remnant iPhone 7s BUT the highest capacity for those 7s that could be ordered was 128 GB. So there was a dramatic cut in price but that was accompanied by a cut in options for memory capacity.
Lombo Opiofiend
I called them today and they told me that they would take back my iPhone XR and give me an 11 on the 20th. Vidéotron rules.
iPhone X or XR
17% 17% [ 1 ]
83% 83% [ 5 ]
Total votes : 6
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Help me decide (iPhone X or iPhone XR)