High Sierra keeps hitting the power button

Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
So, replacing the power supply in my Hack did NOT fix the problem. It went down while I was at work today. I guess the 650W supply wasn't the issue after all (even though it was looking at lot like it). I have already registered the new PSU for warranty purposes, and it was a bear to install, so I'm going to keep it.

Since the power wasn't the issue, I started doing some digging. Apparently this is a somewhat known issue in High Sierra - even on real macs. With that in mind, I queried the system to see what was going on:

Code:
Seths-iMac:~ steamkitty$ log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 24h
Filtering the log data using "eventMessage CONTAINS "Previous shutdown cause""
Skipping info and debug messages, pass --info and/or --debug to include.
Timestamp                       Thread     Type        Activity             PID    TTL 
2019-08-11 20:09:23.899018-0700 0xb3       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
2019-08-11 20:21:58.802123-0700 0xb3       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
2019-08-11 20:30:55.910024-0700 0xb3       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
2019-08-12 07:22:19.887813-0500 0xb3       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
2019-08-12 16:52:51.804254-0500 0xb3       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
2019-08-12 20:43:32.756504-0500 0xb3       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log      - Default:          6, Info:                0, Debug:             0, Error:          0, Fault:          0
Activity - Create:           0, Transition:          0, Actions:   

So, this is where it gets weird. The shutdowns aren't being logged at all. Unless those times aren't local, and are GMT, in which case it is equally weird - because it would imply the machine shut itself down normally, but without user intervention.

I wish I could get this card to work on Sierra. I never had this weird crap happen on it. :squint:
That is weird; I did not have those problems in High Sierra. What extra KEXTs do you have installed?
Does Activity monitor give you more granular details for that window in time?

My [strikethrough]best[/strikethrough] only guess is that it's trying to initiate sleep or hybrid sleep mode but something's going funky.
Right now I have:

FakeSMC.kext
HDMIAudio.kext <- not sure if this one is still necessary
Lilu.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

Otherwise, I haven't modified that much in Clover.

As an aside, to make sure it wasn't a hardware fault, I ran memtestx86 for several hours (8 passes) with no errors and no shutdowns. It doesn't appear to be failing hardware.
Disconnect the front panel reset button from the header. It may be a defective switch.
I kind of doubt the switch, as it ran fine doing a memory test for hours on end. Possible, though.

I did clean up the Clover kexts. The only reason Lilu was there was my attempt to get motherboard audio working. Since I really only ever use HDMI audio, I removed all of the stuff related to it - including Lilu. These are the last four extensions left in Clover:

FakeSMC.kext
HDMIAudio.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

I do have a few things left in the Clover config related to audio, but I don't see how they would affect anything without the extensions. If it keeps up, I will go back to a more stock Clover config, though. I still have the HDAS to HDEF ACPI patch in, as well as a patch to AppleAHCIPort and AppleUSBXHCIPCI - both intended to enable all of the USB ports on the board.

If that doesn't help, I may reinstall a fresh copy of HS.
Ok, first the good news. It seems to have been a kext issue. The machine has been up for 24 hours without an unexpected shutdown.

Right now, the only remaining weirdness is that Firefox occasionally gets hung to the point that a reboot is required to unstick it - even force closing won't get the job done. It may be wider than Firefox, though, because the App store also wouldn't start while this was going on. I'm hoping it's not the APFS corruption on non-Apple SSD's thing.
maurvir posted:
I kind of doubt the switch, as it ran fine doing a memory test for hours on end. Possible, though.

I did clean up the Clover kexts. The only reason Lilu was there was my attempt to get motherboard audio working. Since I really only ever use HDMI audio, I removed all of the stuff related to it - including Lilu. These are the last four extensions left in Clover:

FakeSMC.kext
HDMIAudio.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

I do have a few things left in the Clover config related to audio, but I don't see how they would affect anything without the extensions. If it keeps up, I will go back to a more stock Clover config, though. I still have the HDAS to HDEF ACPI patch in, as well as a patch to AppleAHCIPort and AppleUSBXHCIPCI - both intended to enable all of the USB ports on the board.

If that doesn't help, I may reinstall a fresh copy of HS.

Hmmm, just looked at my backups to see what I had, pretty much the same stuff. What drivers64UEFI are you using? I have a El Capitan and a Sierra backup also so at one point I was running both OS with that card in my hack.
Whatever came with Clover version 2.4k r4451. I just grabbed the latest version, though, and I'll try to update it tonight.
After a bit of googling, I think apfs is probably what is behind some of the screwiness I've been experiencing since (seemingly) resolving the power issue. The boot drive is a Samsung EVO 860, so not an Apple drive, and I don't think TRIM is enabled on it. Since I haven't invested a whole lot in this install yet, I'm considering attempting a fresh install of High Sierra with HFS+J instead of APFS.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Maybe Apple super advanced software (and/or super evil) just knows it's not running on real apple hardware, so it turns it off.

This is a joke, but :suspicious:
maurvir posted:
After a bit of googling, I think apfs is probably what is behind some of the screwiness I've been experiencing since (seemingly) resolving the power issue. The boot drive is a Samsung EVO 860, so not an Apple drive, and I don't think TRIM is enabled on it. Since I haven't invested a whole lot in this install yet, I'm considering attempting a fresh install of High Sierra with HFS+J instead of APFS.

The latest version of Clover (maybe you have it) does a new thing where it automatically updates the apfs.efi driver. TRIM is not enabled on mine either. But I also have my system prefs setup so hard drives do not go to sleep nor does the system. Just the display turns off.
I decided to reset a bit and reinstalled High Sierra - this time with a HFS+J volume. (The conversion to APFS happens in the second-stage, so you can interrupt it and disable the conversion after the first reboot)

I'm not sure if it is the clean install or the file system, but this machine is finally behaving the way I would expect. It's snappy, with almost no beach-balling, and it has been stable so far. I haven't had any weird Firefox hangs or other strangeness so far. That could change as I start to actually use the machine, but at least for now, it's running like a champ.

So, the next problem is that the Clover package I downloaded didn't contain any Mac OS specific drivers. I lifted the HFS driver from the USB install drive, which allowed Clover to actually see the Mac OS volumes, but no-go on booting them. The screen just goes black. Now, I can copy the REST of the drivers, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something here?
Yes you should be able to copy them over, but it might be better to re-download them to make sure you have the latest versions. Clover configurator can download the file system drivers for you. Extra KEXT files can be downloaded from the expected sources.
Well, that was a bit of a pain, but I got the latest Clover installed. I had the package installer put the files in the root of System, then manually copied them to the EFI folder. I later realized why the basic install failed - it didn't include the fake SMC kext. :der:

Anyway, the machine is now booting from its own SSD and has it's old serial number back. Hopefully Apple didn't notice that I temporarily "changed" iMacs... :heh:
Hopefully the last post on this.

My Hack seems to be running High Sierra normally now. No weird shutdowns, no weird crashes, etc. It is just a slight smidge pokier than it was on Sierra, but it's not that noticeable. Just for giggles, I ran the Unigen GPU benchmark and got ~40fps (average) on high settings. Not great, but then, this isn't a gaming machine. Cinebench was downright embarrassing, though. On APFS, it was getting about 560. On HFS, it's closer to 450 - though I may rerun that, since the machine hadn't been rebooted in a while.

This will probably be the end of the line, since Mojave probably won't ever run on this rig.
Glad you are up and running. At this point any hack with a nVIdia GPU is EOL on High Sierra; unless nVidia releases drivers, but it seems kind of pointless to do that now since Catalina is just around the corner.

I am on a holding pattern on upgrading anything or making a new machine until Catalina and the new Mac Pro are released; and whether or not AMD will be selling the dual GPU card themselves without the added PCI hoohah. There is a good chance I'll get a new Mac Pro, but it is all going to depend on the pricing; and how easy it will be to go bare bones and upgrade slowly to the bells and whistle stuff.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
avkills posted:
Glad you are up and running. At this point any hack with a nVIdia GPU is EOL on High Sierra; unless nVidia releases drivers, but it seems kind of pointless to do that now since Catalina is just around the corner.

I am on a holding pattern on upgrading anything or making a new machine until Catalina and the new Mac Pro are released; and whether or not AMD will be selling the dual GPU card themselves without the added PCI hoohah. There is a good chance I'll get a new Mac Pro, but it is all going to depend on the pricing; and how easy it will be to go bare bones and upgrade slowly to the bells and whistle stuff.

Just curious, has anyone looked at porting the Nouveau drivers into the Hackintosh project? They are open source so licensing is not an issue. Nouveau has support for a bunch of nVidia cards, just not the latest ones as it takes time to reverse engineer them.
Pariah posted:
avkills posted:

Just curious, has anyone looked at porting the Nouveau drivers into the Hackintosh project? They are open source so licensing is not an issue. Nouveau has support for a bunch of nVidia cards, just not the latest ones as it takes time to reverse engineer them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/com ... mavericks/

seems that Mac drivers bear little resemblance to Linux drivers.
This machine was going to be EOL anyway, given it's built with a LGA1155 socket CPU (the i5-2400). I believe Mojave now requires at least a 4th gen CPU or better.

It's still more than enough for what I use it for, and it's been a great little computer. Until the office is restored, it's actually my only computer at the moment.

Last edited by maurvir on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:54 pm.

macnuke Afar
I'm running Mojave on a 2009 3.33 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.
Interestingly, it seems the GTX 760, being one of the few stock cards supported, may actually live to see Mojave. Not sure it is worth it, but I might download the installer and just see if it boots.

http://dosdude1.com/mojave/#instructions

Note: It wasn't obvious, but this tool can download the installer on an unsupported Mac. This bypasses the App Store error message about the Mac in question not being supported.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

High Sierra keeps hitting the power button