US Navy rethinking touch screen battleship controls

Online now: Pariah
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/08/th ... hould-too/

Quote:
The US Navy has had enough of touchscreens and is going back to physical controls for its destroyers, according to a report last week in USNI News. Starting next summer the Navy will refit its DDG-51 destroyer fleet with a physical throttle and helm control system. The effort is a response to feedback the Navy solicited in the wake of a pair of fatal crashes involving that class of ship during 2017.

In June of that year, seven sailors were killed when the USS Fitzgerald collided with the MV ACX Crystal, a container ship. In August, 10 US sailors were killed when the USS John S McCain hit another container ship, the Alnic MC.

On August 5, the National Transportation Safety Board published its report into the USS John S McCain incident. Although the agency found that the probable cause was "a lack of effective operational oversight of the destroyer by the US Navy," it also criticized the ship's complex throttle and steering touchscreen controls.

As we reported in 2017, when a sailor was instructed to transfer the throttle control to a different workstation, they also transferred the ship's steering control at the same time. Unfortunately, the Integrated Bridge and Navigation System was being run in a backup mode that did not safeguard against this happening.

Took long enough...
juice Inadvertently correct
The controls look simple enough on the Enterprise...
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Yes, it should be better, but it would still be "drive by wire", wouldn't it?

Anyway, from what I understand, the biggest problem wasn't the touch controls, but the interface and programming. I mean, that last paragraph in the quote, WTF!?
juice posted:

touch screen seems an odd choice on a vessel that can pitch and sway. And the anti-flash gear.

Not clear on the thinking behind touch screens.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Navy trying to out-tech the Air Force ...
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
or maybe the construction contractors pushed for it.
Don't cruise ships and freighters have touch screen controls?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu posted:
juice posted:

... if the John McCain had only rerouted auxiliary power to the deflector ...
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I hated the touch screen on my Pilot. It's fine for buttons that change, but for controls you pretty much always want available (like volume) it sucks. Being able to grab something physical is so much easier and safer.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
When I was a kid we just used red and white pegs, and called out the x and y coordinates of a grid.
Séamas posted:
When I was a kid we just used red and white pegs, and called out the x and y coordinates of a grid.

ukimalefu posted:
Séamas posted:

Um, no. More like this:

Séamas Honorary Consul General
Meanwhile people the generation earlier just did it with pencils and graph paper.
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Séamas posted:

Um, no. More like this:

I know

but this thread is about touch screens
I had this one.

Little wooden block had a picture of a ship on the side.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Malkin posted:
I hated the touch screen on my Pilot. It's fine for buttons that change, but for controls you pretty much always want available (like volume) it sucks. Being able to grab something physical is so much easier and safer.

Looking at new cars, the lack of a physical volume knob may be the biggest negative I see in most Honda SUV reviews.
jkahless Custom Title
Ribtor posted:
touch screen seems an odd choice on a vessel that can pitch and sway. And the anti-flash gear.

Helm controls should be physical, non reconfigurable, and as similar as practicable in different locations, with a very obvious emergency switchover button. I can think of three incidents In the last ten years off the top of my head that would have been avoided by that.
jkahless posted:
Ribtor posted:

Helm controls should be physical, non reconfigurable, and as similar as practicable in different locations, with a very obvious emergency switchover button. I can think of three incidents In the last ten years off the top of my head that would have been avoided by that.

This should apply to any vehicle. Non-critical controls are fine to put on a touch screen or behind menus. Critical controls, on the other hand, should be single (or at least minimal) function hardware devices that you can find by feel/muscle memory.

The idea of putting critical controls on a freaking touch screen is rage inducing.
Imagine driving your car with a touch screen instead of a steering wheel.
Old Yoda agitator
TOS
Betonhaus posted:
Imagine driving your car with a touch screen instead of a steering wheel.

if my car maxed out at 50 kp/h i don't think it would be a challenge
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Old Yoda posted:

Ha! I thought of that scene too, but I couldn't remember which movie it was from.
obvs precoupado
Malkin posted:
I have a Satechi Media Button.

Great price, and you can place it anywhere in your car. I have mine on my dashboard, but you can also put it on your steering wheel. They have physical controls, and it's really easy to use.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

US Navy rethinking touch screen battleship controls