Help Me Do VirtualBox Right

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I want to setup Win7 in a VM because dual booting is just too much of a PITA.
In the ppast I have attempted to setup VB and never got anywhere. Apparently I am an idiot in this case because I could never find straight forward, step by step "explain to me like I am five" instructions.
I want to start out with everything since I remember VB nis not complete as shipped, I need guest additions, something else so USB will work, something else for sharing files with the host and I want to have all that onboard before I even start so I need a list of required components with links if possible.
I know some of you here are running VB successfully so teach me how to be VB cool too, please.
dv
You really should use KVM instead.

The guest additions get installed from within virtualbox. The USB thing may require some fiddling - I didn't have the best luck getting mine set up right on Ubuntu/KVM.

As far as EILIF goes, can't get much easier than the monkey-see-monkey-do* world of Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZpbQqLiav8

*Yes, you're the monkey in this scenario, but I mean no disrespect. It's my preferred way of learning these days.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Is it more likely I would have better luck with KVM? I am not married to the idea of using VirtualBox, it's just what I see most people use. Care to elaborate about KVM?
Basically I just want to end up with a handy install of Windows in a cage, I don't care who makes the cage.
I find it easier to break down each task to something easy to Google, and if you miss something Google the problem you get and you should gind instructions.

This is a "learn as you go" project not a "memorize every step before you touch the keyboard" project.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv
Pariah posted:
Does this page look like a good guide?

https://computingforgeeks.com/install-v ... inux-mint/

That just tells you how to install it. That's like step 0.

KVM (virt-manager) is just going to perform way better, that's all. It's what I use for my VPN client systems.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/VirtManager
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
I find it easier to break down each task to something easy to Google, and if you miss something Google the problem you get and you should gind instructions.

This is a "learn as you go" project not a "memorize every step before you touch the keyboard" project.

I get what you are saying and learn as I go is my usual way but I like to read up beforehand to have a good grasp of the broad overview of the task at hand.
dv
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

I get what you are saying and learn as I go is my usual way but I like to read up beforehand to have a good grasp of the broad overview of the task at hand.

broad overview:

Install hypervisor (KVM or VirtualBox.)
Configure Network Bridging (KVM makes this annoying, Virtualbox handles it for you.)
Create a Virtual Machine with appropriate hardware options for Windows 7.
Install Windows 7 on the VM.
Install Guest Additions inside Windows environment.
Masturbate Furiously
juice Inadvertently correct
/me skips to the last step
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

broad overview:

Install hypervisor (KVM or VirtualBox.)
Configure Network Bridging (KVM makes this annoying, Virtualbox handles it for you.)
Create a Virtual Machine with appropriate hardware options for Windows 7.
Install Windows 7 on the VM.
Install Guest Additions inside Windows environment.
Masturbate Furiously

I won't need network access. I don't need or want win7 to be exposed to the internet.
All I will be using Win7 for is as an environment for Photoshop to run in.
Do you have a license? In which case add installing Daz windows loader to crack it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Do you have a license? In which case add installing Daz windows loader to crack it.

I have an enterprise image of win7, no code required.
Would there be a way to just clone my current win7 install to the VM?
dv
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

I have an enterprise image of win7, no code required.
Would there be a way to just clone my current win7 install to the VM?

Yes. It's called "P2V" and there's a few different utilities that will do the job in different ways. (You might need to try more than one to have it work seamlessly - every one is a little different.)

Example for Win2k8 (which should also work for Win7)

http://www.johnwillis.com/2014/05/p2v-w ... o-kvm.html
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
If you really are NEVER going to put that VM on a network, why not XP? It is lighter than 7, and if you are still using an older version of PS (CS2), I believe it was native to XP anyway.

Just a thought.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
If you really are NEVER going to put that VM on a network, why not XP? It is lighter than 7, and if you are still using an older version of PS (CS2), I believe it was native to XP anyway.

Just a thought.

Because I have win7 and do not have xp?
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

Just a thought.

You don't need to have XP to have XP. The DRM is as strong as soggy toilet paper. The cheap stuff, not the "ultra durable" blatherskite. Probably RV toilet paper, come to think about it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

Just a thought.

You don't need to have XP to have XP. The DRM is as strong as soggy toilet paper. The cheap stuff, not the "ultra durable" blatherskite. Probably RV toilet paper, come to think about it.

I have 12GB of ram and an i7 3770, I am not worried about the slight reduction in system resources XP would represent.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Help Me Do VirtualBox Right