Huawei announces new operating system called HarmonyOS

Online now: juice
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Quote:
Huawei has officially announced HarmonyOS, the operating system it was rumored to be developing to replace its reliance on Android. In China the software will be known as Hongmeng. The company says the operating system, a microkernel-based distributed OS, can be used in everything from smartphones to smart speakers, wearables, and in-vehicle systems to create a shared ecosystem across devices. The operating system will be released as an open-source platform worldwide to encourage adoption.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/9/20798 ... em-android

Well, good luck.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
This should be great because writing an OS from the ground up is a breeze.
Well it's probably just a fork of Android with the American spyware replaced with Chinese spyware.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
Well it's probably just a fork of Android with the American spyware replaced with Chinese spyware.

This. I can almost guarantee that this "new OS" is open-source Android.
maurvir posted:
Betonhaus posted:

If it can run android apps, it may have a chance.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Not if it has a micro-kernel. Linux uses a macro-kernel.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
Betonhaus posted:

If that bit of reporting is true, then yes, they may have done something weird. They are a large Chinese company, so it's possible, but even Samsung got humbled with Tizen, and they theoretically had the chops to pull it off.

That said, I really wish someone would create a realistic third competitor to iOS and Android. Both have stagnated in recent years and need a good kick in the pants.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
Betonhaus posted:

If that bit of reporting is true, then yes, they may have done something weird. They are a large Chinese company, so it's possible, but even Samsung got humbled with Tizen, and they theoretically had the chops to pull it off.

That said, I really wish someone would create a realistic third competitor to iOS and Android. Both have stagnated in recent years and need a good kick in the pants.

There are FOSS micro kernels available. They could grab Mach like Apple did or maybe a JavaOS variant. Now that I have looked, there are tons of micro kernels out there.
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Many have. The problem is if it doesnt have your apps you won't buy it. I still maintain that BB10 was the best OS but because you couldn't easily access the Play store it died off.

Harmony OS has a chance as it has government and anti-usa support.
Betonhaus posted:
[snip]
Harmony OS has a chance as it has government and anti-usa support.

What are the chances that the Mainland Chinese government will not mandate this as the ONLY smartphone OS?
Pariah posted:

Actually a requirement to get a PhD in Computer Science.
dv
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

Yeah... but the results are usually some semi-DOS-like thing that's only technically an OS.
dv posted:
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

Yeah... but the results are usually some semi-DOS-like thing that's only technically an OS.

My point was that it isn't beyond the reach of someone or Huawei making an OS from scratch. I do not find it to be a big deal. Apple made iOS from scratch.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
avkills posted:
dv posted:
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

My point was that it isn't beyond the reach of someone or Huawei making an OS from scratch. I do not find it to be a big deal. Apple made iOS from scratch.

LOL, no they didn't, it is a fork of OSX which is based on NeXT which was built on top of the BSD Mach kernel so the roots of iOS go back around 30 years or so.
While it may be relatively easy to build and OS that meets some academic definition of an OS, building a good end user oriented OS is a massive task illustrated by how many projects have been trying to build such an OS for decades. GNU Hurd, at least three Amiga clone projects I can think of, ReactOS, and on and on. It took Linux almost 20 years to really achieve solid desktop worthy features and that was with contributions from every major tech company there is.
avkills posted:
dv posted:
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

For several years iOS was a dumbphone with a web browser and no app support.
Betonhaus posted:
avkills posted:
dv posted:
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

For several years iOS was a dumbphone with a web browser and no app support.

Not several, maybe two. I think the 3rd iphone got apps.
The first iPhone had built in apps.
Pariah posted:
avkills posted:
dv posted:
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

LOL, no they didn't, it is a fork of OSX which is based on NeXT which was built on top of the BSD Mach kernel so the roots of iOS go back around 30 years or so.
While it may be relatively easy to build and OS that meets some academic definition of an OS, building a good end user oriented OS is a massive task illustrated by how many projects have been trying to build such an OS for decades. GNU Hurd, at least three Amiga clone projects I can think of, ReactOS, and on and on. It took Linux almost 20 years to really achieve solid desktop worthy features and that was with contributions from every major tech company there is.

I think the problem with Linux taking so long was that it is an open source project and there are not a lot of people who want to invest free time to make massively good GUI when it was primarily used for servers where CLI is perfectly fine.

I take my words back about the scratch part. Wiki says "The iOS kernel is the XNU kernel of Darwin." Thank you for the correction. It was still a pretty big job since I doubt there were ready made kernels for ARMs at that time.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:
avkills posted:
dv posted:
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

I think the problem with Linux taking so long was that it is an open source project and there are not a lot of people who want to invest free time to make massively good GUI when it was primarily used for servers where CLI is perfectly fine.

I take my words back about the scratch part. Wiki says "The iOS kernel is the XNU kernel of Darwin." Thank you for the correction. It was still a pretty big job since I doubt there were ready made kernels for ARMs at that time.

Darwin was built to be platform portable from the ground up.
Pariah posted:
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:
avkills posted:
dv posted:
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

Darwin was built to be platform portable from the ground up.

You still need to tweak stuff based on the CPU architecture though (unless nobody cares about performance). The Amiga OS was actually pretty kick ass at the time it was released. I had 2 Amigas before switching to Apple.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Since they are in China they could just hover Google play and the Apple store for apps and just copy the ones they need.
Pariah posted:
Since they are in China they could just hover Google play and the Apple store for apps and just copy the ones they need.

How do we know that half the apps are not already coded buy Chinese programmers. :paranoid:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:

How do we know that half the apps are not already coded buy Chinese programmers. :paranoid:

Good point.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Huawei announces new operating system called HarmonyOS