U-verse (fiber) STB Ethernet

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
In one of those rare moments of serendipity, it turns out that the Ethernet port on the back of the AT&T U-verse set top boxes is not only active, but acts as a bridge. My hackintosh is in a spare bedroom that is a good distance from the router. I initially thought to run cable between the two rooms (to the point of locating where the walls are in the attic). However, on a hunch, I Googled using said port for a computer.

The port is apparently for providing Ethernet to your Smart TV, but it isn't restricted in any way. (Though it obviously will share bandwidth on the coax segment). My Hack was a bit limited to ~43Mbps (external), but that is more than fast enough for I use it for. I may eventually try to get WiFi working, but I can't complain at all about the current setup. :up:
The uverse boxes communicate with each other over coaxial right? I've done that before with Telus OptikTV, it's a handy little perk.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Yes, the signal to the set top boxes is routed on coaxial cables since most houses are "pre-wired" for cable.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

U-verse (fiber) STB Ethernet