Need a Mac, Cheap???

Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot], Yori
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I don't usually do this but Tech Dirt has a hell of a deal going on an iMac.
Apple iMac 21.5" Core i5 2.5GHz 500GB (Certified Refurbished)--$299.00
Not a speed demon by any stretch but this is well below market value for a Mac of this vintage.

https://deals.techdirt.com/sales/21-5-i ... &scsonar=1
TOS
a great price for sure, but that's a very old machine
macnuke Afar
no Metal ability.. so no mojave

EoL iMac
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
That's my 2011 imac. Yeah, it's EoL for upgrades, but it's still a great deal. I'm considering a replacement for my mother's 2007 imac.
macnuke Afar
facebook and email it's got years in it... so a "mom" puter yes.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

Yes it is but still significantly cheaper than I have been seeing similar Macs going for on the used market. That's the only reason I posted it. It wouldn't make a bad internet terminal, email machine.
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Yes it is but still significantly cheaper than I have been seeing similar Macs going for on the used market. That's the only reason I posted it. It wouldn't make a bad internet terminal, email machine.

everything you say is correct
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

everything you say is correct

On reflection i was being pessimistic. This would be a fine machine for the home user who likes to edit their photos and videos @1080p. I tend to get spoiled by the power at hand today. I know I do.
It wasn't all that long ago that an iMac with a 2.4Ghz C2D was considered quite the thing for prosumer video editing workstation.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I use it regularly for HD Video editing and audio production and the performance is still quite good even without an SSD. It has a lightning-bolt port that supports a USB3 adapter, which I use for my backup and storage drives.

It won't play the latest games, but it can run Skyrim (not SE) and Fallout3 era games. For an antiquated mac, it's really a damn good bargain. Too bad I already have one, but for anyone who doesn't...
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Now that we are well into the era when many 10 year old computers are still perfectly viable relative to the workloads they face, Apple's habit of obsoleting fairly recent Macs is going to get increasingly galling.
In my case here I sit using a 6 year old PC that is still more powerful than the average brand new consumer grade PC and, because I use Linux I am looking at this PC being viable indefinitely. I am quite confident that my PC will die of old age before it gets too slow relative to the work I need to do on it.
But if I had a similarly equipped Mac I would be looking at the specter of obsolescence coming in the next year or two, even though Apple still sells brand new Macs less powerful. This sort of contrived obsolescence is a terrible thing and simply not justifiable anymore. Not when pretty much any i5 or better machine made in the last tenish years is still very, very capable.
Lombo Opiofiend
I still rock a MacBook Pro unibody first gen. I installed High Sierra on it.
obvs precoupado
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:

I remember having to do some sort of hack to get my upgraded old G4 to be upgraded at some point.
dv
Pariah posted:
obvs posted:

I remember having to do some sort of hack to get my upgraded old G4 to be upgraded at some point.

There were a few different ways of doing that, depending on the version of OS X and the specific power mac in question. For instance.

Then there was the "Wish I Were" extension for classic MacOS.

Anyway, yeah. You can do all sorts of weird stuff, like running MacOS 8 on '030 macs.

https://www.bigmessowires.com/mac-se30- ... raded-rom/
Lombo Opiofiend
I could even install Mojave on it. C2D 2.53 8gb ram 512 gb ssd + 1tb HD.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Lombo posted:

If the CPU is not soldered in you could swap in a C2Quad for $25 to $80. Even a $25 C2Q @2.33 would be quite a speed boost.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
You know what the sad part is? My Hackintosh is using that Mac as the model for its Clover config. It has almost identical specs, other than that my machine has a 3.1GHz i5 instead of the 2.5GHz i5 and 16GB of 1866MHz DDR3 memory, rather than 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory.

For the record, my hack is a perfectly usable machine, even with the older graphics card. Once I get the GTX 760 in, it will be a perfectly fine machine for everything I use it for. It is in NO way a crap computer.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
You know what the sad part is? My Hackintosh is using that Mac as the model for its Clover config. It has almost identical specs, other than that my machine has a 3.1GHz i5 instead of the 2.5GHz i5 and 16GB of 1866MHz DDR3 memory, rather than 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory.

For the record, my hack is a perfectly usable machine, even with the older graphics card. Once I get the GTX 760 in, it will be a perfectly fine machine for everything I use it for. It is in NO way a crap computer.

To be fair the 3.Ghz i5 is considerably faster than the 2.5Ghz i5 not only a higher clock but the 2.5 is a dual core w/hyper-threading while the 3.1 is quad core.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

To be fair the 3.Ghz i5 is considerably faster than the 2.5Ghz i5 not only a higher clock but the 2.5 is a dual core w/hyper-threading while the 3.1 is quad core.

The ad specifies it as a quad-core i5, though, and assuming it is the desktop variant, it should be straight cores with no HT.

A bit of digging shows it is probably the i5-2400S:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

vs my i5-2400:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
macnuke Afar
and as much as you guys want to talk about your enjoyment of Linux.... it ain't mainstream.
and until it come with all your apps.. and if you want an app all you do is click the download and presto its downloaded, installed with buttons to launch all ready to go....and automatic updates that only need you to click one button....

it will never happen.
period.

so regardless how grand that Mac is for linux... it's EoL for the world.

enjoy your Linux... but the common folk won't be on it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
and as much as you guys want to talk about your enjoyment of Linux.... it ain't mainstream.
and until it come with all your apps.. and if you want an app all you do is click the download and presto its downloaded, installed with buttons to launch all ready to go....and automatic updates that only need you to click one button....

What you describe is exactly how desktop Linux works.
macnuke Afar
sweet...
I have a Mac Pro (2009) model.
currently 3.33G Quad Xeon.
16G ram... radeon 7xxx 3G card.
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

I have 5 drives.... boot is PCIe card.
the others are all SATA.
three are 1T and the 4th is a 512G
the PCIe is APFS and the other 4 are MacOS extended (journaled)

now, installing mint for dummies...

splane me up
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
sweet...
I have a Mac Pro (2009) model.
currently 3.33G Quad Xeon.
16G ram... radeon 7xxx 3G card.
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

I have 5 drives.... boot is PCIe card.
the others are all SATA.
three are 1T and the 4th is a 512G
the PCIe is APFS and the other 4 are MacOS extended (journaled)

now, installing mint for dummies...

splane me up

You probably won't need any help.
macnuke Afar
so do I have to install something first? or do I just google up Linux Mint and download it?

and what file format does the disk need to be?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
so do I have to install something first? or do I just google up Linux Mint and download it?

and what file format does the disk need to be?

The installer will take care of formatting and that format will be ext4.
Download the ISO you want and you want the Cinnamon addition, trust me. Use what ever you use to write the ISO to a thumb drive to make it bootable. Boot from the thumbdrive and enter a live try out environment. Things to check: Does wifi work?
If you want to go ahead and install click the install Mint icon on the desktop, follow the directions, you are 100% fine accepting all the defaults unless you are up to something fancy. The installer follows very neanrly exactly the flow of the OSX installer.
Reboot and Bob's your Uncle. (He really is, it's in the EULA you signed).
First order of business is to update the system for what ever updates have been released since the ISO was committed. It's that little shield shaped icon on the right side of your panel, it will have a tiny exclamation mark on it indicating updates pending.
Click that, let it do it's thing....bam, your whole system and all your applications have had updates and patches applied. Surprise! You do not need to reboot.
There is no next step, you are good to go.
macnuke Afar
OK..
downloaded linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso to USB
my start up cannot fing it.

double clicked it.. no mountable file systems.

took an empty HDD formatted NTFS and it wouldn't even copy over from the USB

fat32 and it would copy from the USB
not found bootable
no mountable file systems.

this is getting easier by the moment. now what stupid things I missing?
macnuke Afar
downloaded Etcher
installed and run..
selet image... off the usb no problem.
off the HDD.. nope.
so selected the image on the usb.

select drive.

two drives available. my Mac OS boot drive and that is in orange.
the USB and that is red and can't select.

other HDDs... Fat32. not seen by etcher. NTFS not seen by etcher.

can't flash the iso.. this is getting easier and easier yes?
Lombo Opiofiend
:shifty:
Pariah posted:
Lombo posted:

If the CPU is not soldered in you could swap in a C2Quad for $25 to $80. Even a $25 C2Q @2.33 would be quite a speed boost.

It’s soldered for sure. MacBook Pro.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
OK..
downloaded linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso to USB
my start up cannot fing it.

double clicked it.. no mountable file systems.

took an empty HDD formatted NTFS and it wouldn't even copy over from the USB

fat32 and it would copy from the USB
not found bootable
no mountable file systems.

this is getting easier by the moment. now what stupid things I missing?

You don't work with the ISO directly, you need to use a utility to write it to a thumb drive in a bootable form. The reason the ISO won't mount is because OSX lacks native ext4 support.
I forgot you needed to do more work because Linux has "make bootable USB drive" as an item in the context menu.
Look here:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-bo ... -your-mac/
TOS
oh look, it turned into a linux thread
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
oh look, it turned into a linux thread

Doesn't every thread do that eventually? ;)
macnuke Afar
OK

used two USB drives.. one 16 and the other 32G
formatted both to FAT32.
both read and checked out fine.

downloaded Etcher.
ran like a champ.

but.....

the USB is now FAT12 and I can see it's there, it won't mount in anyway shape or form.
went into StartUp Disk.. no joy. it's not selectable.
screw it. restart and hold the <option> key to bring up all startups available.
nope, nada, nothing, zip. i can start up Mac OS off a couple of my disks (different X's) but no USB available.
tried other key..
and the results are the same.
so this human waste is easier and easier yes?
I can install windows 7 and 10 with zero problems.
I can install most versions of Mac OS X with zero problems.

where is this easy human waste you speak of?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
OK

used two USB drives.. one 16 and the other 32G
formatted both to FAT32.
both read and checked out fine.

downloaded Etcher.
ran like a champ.

but.....

the USB is now FAT12 and I can see it's there, it won't mount in anyway shape or form.
went into StartUp Disk.. no joy. it's not selectable.
screw it. restart and hold the <option> key to bring up all startups available.
nope, nada, nothing, zip. i can start up Mac OS off a couple of my disks (different X's) but no USB available.
tried other key..
and the results are the same.
so this human waste is easier and easier yes?
I can install windows 7 and 10 with zero problems.
I can install most versions of Mac OS X with zero problems.

where is this easy human waste you speak of?

What you have on your hands here is a Mac problem, not a Linux problem. Cuz writing a bootable Linux drive on a Windows or Linux PC and then booting from it is easy as human waste. Have you tried rebooting holding down the key combo to bring up boot options? A Linux boot drive won't "mount" typically on insertion, you can force it too but it serves no purpose to do so. All that is in there are the installer files, nothing in useful form.
Does the UEFI in a Mac let you boot into a boot options screen? That's where I go to set an installer thumb drive as the target boot disk on a PC.
macnuke Afar
on chime... hold the <option> key....... that brings up the boot drive screen where anything bootable connected will display and you can choose.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Need a Mac, Cheap???