Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], Kirk, Metacell
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Apple Watch vulnerability forces Apple to disable Walkie-Talkie

Quote:
There’s no evidence the vulnerability was ever exploited

there's that, but still

Quote:
Here’s Apple’s statement to TechCrunch:

We were just made aware of a vulnerability related to the Walkie-Talkie app on the Apple Watch and have disabled the function as we quickly fix the issue. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience and will restore the functionality as soon as possible. Although we are not aware of any use of the vulnerability against a customer and specific conditions and sequences of events are required to exploit it, we take the security and privacy of our customers extremely seriously. We concluded that disabling the app was the right course of action as this bug could allow someone to listen through another customer’s iPhone without consent. We apologize again for this issue and the inconvenience.

It's good that things get found out, and something is done quickly, but nothing is safe anymore. Get rid of all electronics, get a wind-up watch, a solar pocket calculator (solar, so it's off when it's in your pocket), a pocket size notebook, and a pencil. Also, Pariah was right, always have been, about everything, but Linux or not, he still gets on the internet... maybe don't do that anymore... they-are-listening :paranoid:
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Meh...first world problems.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

there's that, but still

Quote:

We were just made aware of a vulnerability related to the Walkie-Talkie app on the Apple Watch and have disabled the function as we quickly fix the issue. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience and will restore the functionality as soon as possible. Although we are not aware of any use of the vulnerability against a customer and specific conditions and sequences of events are required to exploit it, we take the security and privacy of our customers extremely seriously. We concluded that disabling the app was the right course of action as this bug could allow someone to listen through another customer’s iPhone without consent. We apologize again for this issue and the inconvenience.

It's good that things get found out, and something is done quickly, but nothing is safe anymore. Get rid of all electronics, get a wind-up watch, a solar pocket calculator (solar, so it's off when it's in your pocket), a pocket size notebook, and a pencil. Also, Pariah was right, always have been, about everything, but Linux or not, he still gets on the internet... maybe don't do that anymore... they-are-listening :paranoid:

I am always right. :shrug:
I do use an iPhone but don't use it for anything critical. I would never dream of doing banking on a phone for example. My wife and I actually had one of our rare fights over this, she wanted to put the a bank app on her phone and I forbade it and she got mad but I stood my ground.
She can do banking on her Linux box with a nice firewall running, no stick fiddling phone banking. I would never do banking on Windows either and I might consider doing it on a Mac but I'd need to think about it.
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

there's that, but still

Quote:

I do use an iPhone but don't use it for anything critical. I would never dream of doing banking on a phone for example. My wife and I actually had one of our rare fights over this, she wanted to put the a bank app on her phone and I forbade it and she got mad but I stood my ground.
She can do banking on her Linux box with a nice firewall running, no stick fiddling phone banking. I would never do banking on Windows either and I might consider doing it on a Mac but I'd need to think about it.

That kinda toes the paranoia line. I'm not sure which side from tho.
As soon as quantum computing gets here all home computer and cellphone banking becomes hackable. Start driving over to your local branch for a few years while they get a new safe protocol working.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Kirk posted:
As soon as quantum computing gets here all home computer and cellphone banking becomes hackable.

You won't know if your quantum computer was hacked, or not, until you look at it.

;) :p
juice Inadvertently correct
"No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!"
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

there's that, but still

Quote:

That kinda toes the paranoia line. I'm not sure which side from tho.

I have been called paranoid before but, so far, the passage of time has always proved me right. Every single security concern I have ever expressed here has been confirmed latter.
Every
Single
One.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Yeah. Richard Stallman is another guy who has been called a looney nutjob, yet he has had a pretty good track record of being correct as well.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Yeah. Richard Stallman is another guy who has been called a looney nutjob, yet he has had a pretty good track record of being correct as well.

Stallman is technologie's One True Prophet.Ten years ago I thought he was a kook, too. Now I am running Linux and almost all the software I use is open source. I do have a Win7 install to run Photoshop but Win7 is not allowed to connect to the internet.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

You need to put your iwatch in a faraday cage, and bury it