Catalina: Apple tries to pull off what Microsoft couldn't

Online now: Donkey Butter, Pariah
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07 ... -and-devs/

Apple is making it easier to port between iPadOS and MacOS apps with the goal of making them almost interchangeable. Interestingly, it is iPadOS driving the bus due to much greater market penetration, so this may be the start of MacOS becoming another iOS clone. I hope not, but it sure is looking like that is the direction we are headed.
dv
There are a few iOS exclusives I'd like to run on my laptop...
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I wonder how this would work out given that some many iOS apps have a spyware business model, how would that function in a world where Little Snitch and other firewall type apps exists?
dv
Pariah posted:
I wonder how this would work out given that some many iOS apps have a spyware business model, how would that function in a world where Little Snitch and other firewall type apps exists?

Same way it works when your iPad isn't connected to WiFi. Default/generic ads or local storage of data pending transmission to the mothership.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

Same way it works when your iPad isn't connected to WiFi. Default/generic ads or local storage of data pending transmission to the mothership.

Ad supported software on you Mac desktop....Honestly. :(
Dan Airman Dan
I mean that’s not exactly new. Before Opera have up and sold their soul to Google, I used the ad-supported version of their browser.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Dan posted:
I mean that’s not exactly new. Before Opera have up and sold their soul to Google, I used the ad-supported version of their browser.

So you were that guy, I wondered who he was. :p
Lombo Opiofiend
Opera is a great browser. Welcome back, Dan ! Missed you.
dv
Dan posted:

Anybody else ever use NetZero? Free dialup, but they had an ad-banner running on your screen the whole time.

Dating myself...
TOS
google has done this with chrome and android, but it didn't exactly shake the pillars of heaven
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
google has done this with chrome and android, but it didn't exactly shake the pillars of heaven

Judging from the remarks I have seen online it doesn't seem like anyone is very excited about Windows universal apps.
And I have to say this notion that the iOS store has taken off like crazy with the number of apps available being used as a metric is an utterly flawed way to look at thing. A casual browsing the the iOS store will reveal to even the most casual on-looker that easily 50% of the apps in the store are ultra low quality adware vectors with very little built in value or redundant copies of better apps. Basically the app store is crammed to the gills with crap.
Mean while the number of apps for the Mac has always been relatively small but on average, of really high quality. The number of apps for the Mac is limited by the high bar of quality Mac users have established. On the Mac side there might only be two apps in a category but those apps will be great and who needs more when what you have is very good?
Since the Mac has such high quality applications, increasing that number is just likely to bring the average down and not really add any end user value.
dv
Pariah posted:
Since the Mac has such high quality applications, increasing that number is just likely to bring the average down and not really add any end user value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33grif58qO8
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33grif58qO8

Ya, ya, and look what that gave Windows, every application you can think of but most of them make Linux apps look like highly crafted examples of UI design,
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Judging from the remarks I have seen online it doesn't seem like anyone is very excited about Windows universal apps.
And I have to say this notion that the iOS store has taken off like crazy with the number of apps available being used as a metric is an utterly flawed way to look at thing. A casual browsing the the iOS store will reveal to even the most casual on-looker that easily 50% of the apps in the store are ultra low quality adware vectors with very little built in value or redundant copies of better apps. Basically the app store is crammed to the gills with crap.
Mean while the number of apps for the Mac has always been relatively small but on average, of really high quality. The number of apps for the Mac is limited by the high bar of quality Mac users have established. On the Mac side there might only be two apps in a category but those apps will be great and who needs more when what you have is very good?

There are quite a few spectacular iPad apps that I've long wished were Mac apps, chief among them GoodNotes.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Catalina: Apple tries to pull off what Microsoft couldn't