Ive Quitting.

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway

My only problem with apple mice is not having multiple buttons and a scroll wheel. The last few ones kind of have them but not really. If I ever get a macbook, or the trackpad, I guess I could try to learn and use that, with gestures and/or whatever those things can do.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Oh, yeah, I forgot. The Pro Mouse wasn't awful. It was just that when scroll wheels were added to everything and Apple added the stupid ball, that screwed up that design.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
Oh, yeah, I forgot. The Pro Mouse wasn't awful. It was just that when scroll wheels were added to everything and Apple added the stupid ball, that screwed up that design.

The major issue with modern Apple mouses is the complete lack of tactile feed-back. This makes them a complete non-starter for me. Apple sells their mouse for $100 and it is shittier to use than an el cheapo $15.00 mouse from Walmart.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Apple really should have done the 5c's in that plastic. They would have sold like freaking hotcakes.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Apple really should have done the 5c's in that plastic. They would have sold like freaking hotcakes.

Ya, I think teens and women would snap them up like crazy.
I loved the Mighty Mouse. Right up until the ball collected enough gunk that it stopped working properly.
Jony Ive ‘dispirited’ by Tim Cook’s lack of interest in product design: WSJ

So... Ive points his finger... but will continue to work for Apple.

Yeah... RIP Steve Jobs

Long live... the stockholders.

Seems Tim Cook is holding Apple wrong. :rollfriendly:

Tim Cook once said that one of the last things Steve Jobs told him was to not think "what would Steve do", and to do what he thought was right. I believe cook misunderstood that. Sometimes it seems Cook avoids doing things Steve Jobs would have done, and never stops to think "Steve Jobs would have never done that".
I hate having to admit reality and saying negative things about apple.

dammit

:worriedfrown:
I like Tim Cook, but he wasn't the right choice to replace Jobs. He lacks the creative vision that Jobs had naturally, and it is showing. He's not as bad as the jackals that took over in the 90's (Sculley / Spindler), but it's obvious that he lacks the design chops for a boutique fashion company.

Ive may not have wanted the job, but I can't help but think he would have held onto the Apple vision a bit better.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
I like Tim Cook, but he wasn't the right choice to replace Jobs. He lacks the creative vision that Jobs had naturally, and it is showing. He's not as bad as the jackals that took over in the 90's (Sculley / Spindler), but it's obvious that he lacks the design chops for a boutique fashion company.

Ive may not have wanted the job, but I can't help but think he would have held onto the Apple vision a bit better.

Looking back over his entire career, Jobs' "creative vision" was always more of a problem than an asset. Jobs' ideas were always in opposition to practicality starting way back with his battle to reduce functionality, expandability and his moronic attempts for force fanless designs in the early 80's when the HW was no where near ready for that.
The whole NeXT disaster is the story of Jobs' incapacity to design a practical computer.
In my estimation Jobs made two, very important right moves at Apple when he came back: He brutally stopped the bleeding and then, latter on accurately predicted how important mobile phones would be. Those two right moves were hugely important but had nothing to do really with a "creative vision".
The biggest falsehood that people believe is that Jobs saved apple with the introduction of the iMac. This is completely false. Mac sales remained flat after the iMac came on the market and Mac sales did not start to grow until 2006, long after the iMac came along.
Jobs made some good moves but they were business moves, not creative moves. Where ever his influence was strongest in the design of a product the more it was likely to be a failure. Cube anyone?
I am always a bit mystified at the hate thrown at Scully, his reign very successful, it is he who over saw Apple growing into a powerful and popular company. If Jobs had not been ousted from Apple they would likely be an historic foot note like Amiga.

Yes, but what comes after the iPhone/iPad? I'm not denying sales are great, but we are already reaching saturation on mobile devices if we aren't already there.

I feel like Apple is resting on its laurels a bit in terms of hardware with this push to services. The trouble is, their services only work well on their hardware, so if they begin to fall behind the rest of the market...
I like this concept

IF they could get those screen to work, not break, and not chow a crease. Samsung stopped production of theirs because most demo units were breaking.
dv
Pariah posted:
Looking back over his entire career, Jobs' "creative vision" was always more of a problem than an asset. Jobs' ideas were always in opposition to practicality starting way back with his battle to reduce functionality, expandability and his moronic attempts for force fanless designs in the early 80's when the HW was no where near ready for that.

I'd point out that computer buyers in the '80s wanted a workstation like the Mac II, while computer buyers today mostly want appliances like the OG Macintosh. Like, Jobs was actually right, just 30 years early and too head-up-his-ass to admit it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

I'd point out that computer buyers in the '80s wanted a workstation like the Mac II, while computer buyers today mostly want appliances like the OG Macintosh. Like, Jobs was actually right, just 30 years early and too head-up-his-ass to admit it.

Being "right" 30 years early is the same thing as being wrong.
If he were a futurist writing books it would be one thing but when you are making products to sell today being 30 years ahead of your time is a business negative.
nuh-uh!

did not!

did too!

Apple CEO Tim Cook says report on tensions with Jony Ive is ‘absurd’

My first thought was that Ive was simply being an artist, wanting to do more stuff and new original stuff, rather than just make pretty apple stuff and being "a boss" in charge of people. After all, he's doing his own company, and the first/main client will be Apple. So I saw it as more of a change for Ive, than Apple.

But maybe it's more complicated? in a soap opera kind of way? (soon on netflix, or amazon, apple will do an augmented reality game where Cook and Ive play Patty-cake in your living room)
TOS
my gut tells me that ive looked ahead to the next few years of product design and realized it was just going to be a long series of dreary iphone tweaks
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I do have to say that finding out Apple was stuck with thousands of unsold gold iWatches really makes me happy.
Pariah posted:
I do have to say that finding out Apple was stuck with thousands of unsold gold iWatches really makes me happy.

Beyonce was the only person I ever saw with a gold apple watch.

But "thousands"? really? wow. Still, it's gold, hold onto it until gold prices go up and you still can make a profit.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Ive Quitting.

Page: 1, 2