Ive Quitting.

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso, Majestic-12 [Bot]
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Quote:
Jony Ive is leaving Apple after more than two decades in which his iconic designs for the Mac, iPod and iPhone turned one of Silicon Valley’s faded giants into the world’s most valuable company and defined a generation of consumer products.

Sir Jonathan is setting up his own new venture, a creative business called LoveFrom, with Apple as its first client. The transition will begin later this year, with LoveFrom launching fully in 2020.

https://www.ft.com/content/947e557a-98a ... pe=nongift

Note: When I copied that text off the site the following was appended to the text I selected and I edited it out for a clean quote:

Quote:
Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/947e557a-98a ... pe=nongift

arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I kind of think that Jonathon has kind of lost his way on design, if some of the recent releases came from his brain.

Sounds like ft.com wants everyone to come and see all the ads that they show on their site.
dv
Good. Too much minimalism is weird.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I think you mean to say "I'm quitting," or "I have quit."

I know it's the Internet, but let's have some grammar standards around here, man.
macnuke Afar
he quit being innovative along time ago.

that is all
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Frankly I have never thought much of Ive. I hated the original gummy iMac with that wretched puck mouse and there was a brief period that was good with the G3 and G4 towers but that ended a long time ago.
I really tried to understand Ive, I read a bunch of his writings and quotes and it was all the same sort of blather you get out of a stereotypical modern artist.
Just a bunch of pretentious blatherskite.
I mean look at this collection of "17 Great Ive Quotes" that I just Googled up. What a bunch of twaddle.

Quote:
“Simplicity is not the absence of clutter, that’s a consequence of simplicity. Simplicity is somehow essentially describing the purpose and place of an object and product. The absence of clutter is just a clutter-free product. That’s not simple.”

“There’s no learning without trying lots of ideas and failing lots of times.”

“Different’ and ‘new’ is relatively easy. Doing something that’s genuinely better is very hard.”

“We shouldn’t be afraid to fail- if we are not failing we are not pushing. 80% of the stuff in the studio is not going to work. If something is not good enough, stop doing it.”

“There is beauty when something works and it works intuitively.”

“If something is not good enough, stop doing it.”

“If you are truly innovating, you don’t have a prototype you can refer to.”

“What we make testifies who we are. People can sense care and can sense carelessness. This relates to respect for each other and carelessness is personally offensive.”

“Apple’s goal isn’t to make money. Our goal is to design and develop and bring to market good products.”

“True simplicity is, well, you just keep on going and going until you get to the point where you go, ‘Yeah, well, of course.’ Where there’s no rational alternative.”

“What I love about the creative process, and this may sound naive, but it is this idea that one day there is no idea, and no solution, but the next day there is an idea. I find that incredibly exciting and conceptually actually remarkable.”

“A small change at the beginning of the design process defines an entirely different product at the end.”

“When something exceeds your ability to understand how it works, it sort of becomes magical.”

“Designing and developing anything of consequence is incredibly challenging.”

“Making the solution seem so completely inevitable and obvious, so uncontrived and natural – it’s so hard!”

“It’s a very strange thing for a designer to say, but one of the things that really irritates me in products is when I’m aware of designers wagging their tails in my face.”

“The best ideas start as conversations.”

obvs precoupado
I think Apple's designs have been hit or miss for a really long time.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
obvs posted:

Mostly miss. The new pro mac is the first Apple product that actually looks good and seems like it would be useful.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:

Mostly miss. The new pro mac is the first Apple product that actually looks good and seems like it would be useful.

looks good?

It's a lot better than just a box, but I'm not a fan of how it looks. Is it functional? practical? THAT I do think it is.
Call me weird, but I actually like it. :shrug:

Last edited by maurvir on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:49 pm.

macnuke posted:

that is all

That's because he was never the one behind the innovations. Jobs was the one with the vision who knew what and how he wanted his tech done. Ive only followed what Jobs wanted when he went to go make the mockups.
maurvir posted:
Call me weird, bit I actually like it. :shrug:

That's ok, I liked the "trash can", if it looked like a trash can, it was like darth vader's trash can.
Aaron_R posted:
macnuke posted:

that is all

That's because he was never the one behind the innovations. Jobs was the one with the vision who knew what and how he wanted his tech done. Ive only followed what Jobs wanted when he went to go make the mockups.

While true, it does discount what Ive brought to the table, which is the ability to take an artistic concept and "produce" it. Jobs could probably see it in his head, even describe it, but it took someone else to take it to the next step.
I like the new Mac Pro also, it looks as though it may be the best "tower" design Apple has done. I was amazed at how quickly and easily my hackintosh went together when I moved it from the human waste hole $30 cheapest case in the store to the Etho Evolve case, night and day difference.

The new MacPro looks SO easy to open up and put stuff in it.

*edit*

How many times have you guys used stuff and basically "what the fiddlesticks was the designer thinking?" Happens to me all the time.

Some of those Ive quotes are bogus fluff, but a lot of them are true.

Last edited by avkills on Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:36 pm.

obvs precoupado
maurvir posted:
I really don't.

But who am I kidding? I'll probably never even see one. And my job is managing Mac computers.
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
I really don't.

But who am I kidding? I'll probably never even see one. And my job is managing Mac computers.

I do hope they make a "lite" version of it that has a consumer CPU/RAM and maybe half the GPU/MPX slots; price it around $2500 base and it would sell like hot cakes.
obvs precoupado
I just think it looks aesthetically ugly.
I have to see it person to make final judgement.
juice Inadvertently correct
avkills posted:
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
I really don't.

I do hope they make a "lite" version of it that has a consumer CPU/RAM and maybe half the GPU/MPX slots; price it around $2500 base and it would sell like hot cakes.

Shut up and take my money!
macnuke Afar
ya right.. iMac Pro and Mac Pro...
not for us plebes.
for years.. people wanted a headless iMac so they could choose the display they wanted.
and they got the Mini... which wasted them off because the "understood" want was a box to expand everything in it easily.
2500 bucks is going to get you a big case... a soldered in laptop cpu...two ram slots and you must match pairs to upgrade...and a one of a kind video card with code in the rom so the box will boot with that make and model card only.

but you WILL be able to access your storage easily to replace the HDD that it will come with and plug in a SATA SSD (no M2 for you cheapskate) and room for one extra drive and you will be able to easily replace the two RAM cards.

all in a pretty case.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
avkills posted:
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
I really don't.

Stop, don't even start :brow:

And $2500, LOL. They would have to spec a $2500 Mac out the wazoo to come near to justifying the cost if the contents were consumer oriented CPU's and GPU's.
I apologize for my choice of words, but I want Apple to make the "one more thing" great again.

:D

or this is an option, cash in on nostalgia and people who like retro stuff

I loved my G3 iMacs

https://9to5mac.com/2013/04/03/concept- ... le-colors/

Apple II iPhone?

this would never happen

I actually like the idea of Bondi blue polycarbonate iPhone, and as a material for mid-range devices, it's a proven choice. Had Google not gimped the Pixel 3A with a crap processor and low RAM, I would have jumped on a plastic-backed device that still had a headphone jack.
TOS
ive was great in his day but it's been many, many years since they had "wow" design

brilliant guy but he kind of only has one note
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
ive was great in his day but it's been many, many years since they had "wow" design

One of his legacies is producing 20 years worth of some of the worst mouses any company has ever made.
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

One of his legacies is producing 20 years worth of some of the worst mouses any company has ever made.

They aren't bad, you are just holding them wrong. :lol:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

LOL, ya I know but, seriously, for a guy whos whole mission statement is about making things so intuitive no thought is needed to use them, he sure makes a lot of things where how to use them right needs to be explained.
obvs precoupado
Worst mouses evar.
maurvir posted:
Had Google not gimped the Pixel 3A with a crap processor and low RAM, I would have jumped on a plastic-backed device that still had a headphone jack.

Nothing is wrong with the CPU being used inside and it's not gimped unless you are comparing apples to oranges (flagships vs mid-range). It's far better than the majority of other mid range mobiles on the market. Which manufacturers are now finally starting to pay attention to and become competitive in the North American market for that price range.
Aaron_R posted:
maurvir posted:
Had Google not gimped the Pixel 3A with a crap processor and low RAM, I would have jumped on a plastic-backed device that still had a headphone jack.

Nothing is wrong with the CPU being used inside and it's not gimped unless you are comparing apples to oranges (flagships vs mid-range). It's far better than the majority of other mid range mobiles on the market. Which manufacturers are now finally starting to pay attention to and become competitive in the North American market for that price range.

Samsung managed to use the same SoC in the S10e as they did the S10 and S10+. They dropped other things, like the heart rate sensor, advanced camera setup, in-glass fingerprint sensor, etc., but the core device is otherwise identical. I find it ironic that Samsung can figure out which parts of a phone are "luxury items" and which aren't, but Google can't.

It's not a small issue, either. By choosing a SoC that is roughly equivalent to the SD 835, the P3A is effectively two generations old brand new. It's not going to run well in a few OS revisions.
I wouldn't consider those phones you listed as being mid tier, imo that is a sub $500 price point. You should be using mobiles like the Moto Z Play series or the Samsung Galaxy A series. Also the cpu being used is less than a year old, the first handsets to use it came out just this past summer.

I'm glad Google stepped up and released the a series. We can hopefully see the very much globally active and healthy mid tier market become a competitive market here as well. Shift all these carriers and manufacturers away from offering 3 year old flagships at mid-tier price points and instead start to put actual mid tier handsets on the market.

those 00 crt iMacs were a royal pita to replace the often failed slot loading dvd drives
Aaron_R posted:
those 00 crt iMacs were a royal pita to replace the often failed slot loading dvd drives

it's what I got an external disc drive/burner
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

LOL, ya I know but, seriously, for a guy whos whole mission statement is about making things so intuitive no thought is needed to use them, he sure makes a lot of things where how to use them right needs to be explained.

Totally agree there. Never liked even 1 Apple mouse. Throw them away without ever unwrapping them always.
Lombo Opiofiend
The beige ADB mouse was mighty fine.
obvs precoupado
I really liked the ADB Mouse 2.
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu posted:

I'd love one in Tangerine.

Man... I remember when these came out. Such a long time ago.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
avkills posted:
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Totally agree there. Never liked even 1 Apple mouse. Throw them away without ever unwrapping them always.

I crawl Craig's List all the time and a few times a year I see people selling whole boxes full of unused Apple mouses. Saw it in OKC, saw it up north and just recently saw it here in Virginia.
People hate those mouses. I have wished I liked liked them because you can get them for around $20 for a dozen.
sean posted:
ukimalefu posted:

I'd love one in Tangerine.

Man... I remember when these came out. Such a long time ago.

there's a link :p

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Ive Quitting.

Page: 1, 2