iPhone, Maps, and GPS question

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Vulture
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
So, the wife got a new phone, an XR.
So now I want to use her old 6+ as a GPS on this road trip we're taking. THe 6's SIM card was removed when got the new phone so her number wouldn't change.
A quick search leads me to believe that, for turn-by-turn navigation, the phone must be on a network.
So I have this idea: buy one of those Bring-your-own-phone/pay-as-you-go SIM cards, like Trac Phone or Straight Talk, cheapest available with 30 days and 1 gig or whatever; install it and hit the road.

Think that'll work?

Before you ask: She doesn't want to use her phone as the GPS 'cause then she can't Facebook, and my 5s has it's own problems.

So, any advice ?
dv
Yes, that would work fine.
Old Yoda agitator
DukeofNuke posted:
. . . like TracPhone . . .

I have 5 TracPhones ( LG306g), identical. The sim cards are NOT interchangeable between them.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Tracphone sells a sim card kit. https://www.tracfone.com/keep-your-own-phone
I don't know ifit would work with the 6, but if I can find a sim card that will work with it, I don't care which carrier, that's all I need. When the days or minutes run out, bye-bye card I don't need you anymore.
I've seen cards from ATT and Straight Talk, too, and that's just at my local Walmart.

Also, I'm trying to borrow a Tom-Tom. If I get that I wont bother with this business. This is more of a Plan B.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Could you make a wifi hotspot with the XR that the 6+ could connect to?

From a long time ago when I used to work at the apple store I vaguely remember that the GPS would work without a network connection but the maps themselves wouldn't download. No idea if that's still the case.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Make sure it is SIM unlocked first. Your carrier has to submit the request to Apple, then you factory reset it with iTunes to clear the lock. After that, you can do what you please with it.

We just did this with my wife's old 6S Plus after getting the screen fixed.
Travel back to a time when you could get a gas station map.

macnuke Afar
you pretty much had to have a designated navigator with those.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir posted:
Make sure it is SIM unlocked first. Your carrier has to submit the request to Apple, then you factory reset it with iTunes to clear the lock. After that, you can do what you please with it.

Funny you should mention that.
I went to the websites for Tracphone, Net 10, AT&T, and Straight Talk, looking at their BYOP plans. On the "Is your phone compatible?" page I put in the IMEI of my phone and they all came back, "Sorry. You're just stick fiddled, Dude."

The original carrier has a pay as you go plan, https://www.appalachianwireless.com/?page=apay but they want a $20 activation fee as well as $30 for a 1GB plan (or $5 for a 12 MB data only plan). I could buy a new Android Tracphone for that.
Alexander's hot-spot idea might work, but I really wanted to just pre-pay and not worry about roaming data charges on my bill.
I sure hope Daughter can find that Tom-Tom ...
Old Yoda agitator
Quote:
Nearly 100 drivers followed a Google Maps detour -- and ended up stuck in an empty field

Updated 8:32 PM ET, Wed June 26, 2019
(CNN) - Technology isn't always foolproof, as about 100 Colorado drivers learned when Google Maps offered them a supposedly quick way out of a traffic jam.

A crash on Peña Boulevard, a road leading to Denver International Airport, prompted the app to take drivers on a detour on Sunday.

But it was too good to be true.

The alternate route took drivers down a dirt road that rain had turned into a muddy mess, and cars started sliding around.

Some vehicles couldn't make it through the mud, and about 100 others became trapped behind them.

Connie Monsees was on her way to pick up her husband at the airport when she encountered the wreck on Peña Boulevard.

"I thought 'maybe there's a detour' and pulled it up on Google Maps, and it gave me a a detour that was half the time," she said. "It was 43 minutes initially, and it was going to be 23 instead -- so I took the exit and drove where they told me to.

"There were a bunch of other cars going down [the dirt road] too, so I said, 'I guess it's OK.' It was not OK."

Google said the road was not marked as private.

"We take many factors into account when determining driving routes, including the size of the road and the directness of the route," the company said in a statement. "While we always work to provide the best directions, issues can arise due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather. We encourage all drivers to follow local laws, stay attentive, and use their best judgment while driving."

Luckily, Monsees' car has all-wheel drive, and she was able to get through the sticky situation. She even gave two people a ride to the airport, and they were able to catch their flights.

"I tore up the front passenger wheel well liner," Monsees said, adding that others had it much worse.
http://lite.cnn.io/en/article/h_77184bf ... 22724f4d74
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DukeofNuke posted:
maurvir posted:

I went to the websites for Tracphone, Net 10, AT&T, and Straight Talk, looking at their BYOP plans. On the "Is your phone compatible?" page I put in the IMEI of my phone and they all came back, "Sorry. You're just stick fiddled, Dude."

The original carrier has a pay as you go plan, https://www.appalachianwireless.com/?page=apay but they want a $20 activation fee as well as $30 for a 1GB plan (or $5 for a 12 MB data only plan). I could buy a new Android Tracphone for that.
Alexander's hot-spot idea might work, but I really wanted to just pre-pay and not worry about roaming data charges on my bill.

There are lots of data only plans out there. Heck, I could turn my Ting account into data only with 2 mouse clicks.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke posted:
maurvir posted:

Try it anyway, though you may be stuck with a GSM carrier. It won't hurt anything to try asking the original carrier to request a SIM unlock. Unlike Android, they won't give you a code - you have to use iTunes to do the factory reset/unlock. If they will, any SIM will work, guaranteed.

Those sites are showing that because Apple is still reporting the phone as locked.
jkahless Custom Title
A mobile hotspot on your wife’s phone is still going to be way cheaper than any byod pay as you go plan.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yeah, I tried the mobile hotspot today, and it worked, as expected!
:up: Thanks Alexander for the suggestion.
The only real problem is that, even at max volume, you can't hear Siri calling out directions over the radio (as in, the radio is on. I don't expect Siri to come through the radio speakers). I think I have a solution for that, though, with a little bluetooth speaker I haven't used in a long time. I've got it charging now, and I'll try it tomorrow.
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
The only real problem is that, even at max volume, you can't hear Siri calling out directions over the radio (as in, the radio is on. I don't expect Siri to come through the radio speakers). I think I have a solution for that, though, with a little bluetooth speaker I haven't used in a long time. I've got it charging now, and I'll try it tomorrow.

Does your radio have any kind of bluetooth/handsfree integration? (Or could you replace the head unit with one that does? They're pretty inexpensive now.)

Mine is pretty dumb, but it's smart enough to mute the radio when the phone has something to say.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
With lots of cars you simply cannot replace the head unit at all. They are totally custom, built into the dash and not really a single unit like car audio was 20+ years ago. That is the way it is in my Mazda and most post 2000 cars and a lot of older cars too.
dv
Pariah posted:
With lots of cars you simply cannot replace the head unit at all. They are totally custom, built into the dash and not really a single unit like car audio was 20+ years ago. That is the way it is in my Mazda and most post 2000 cars and a lot of older cars too.

A lot of them need custom bezels, but for the most part any non-luxury pre-2010 vehicle isn't sufficiently integrated with the rest of the car for that to be a big deal. (And even the more integrated systems have haxx.)

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM1Al1gXCKE
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

A lot of them need custom bezels, but for the most part any non-luxury pre-2010 vehicle isn't sufficiently integrated with the rest of the car for that to be a big deal. (And even the more integrated systems have haxx.)

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM1Al1gXCKE

My 2006 Santa Fe did not have any integration, so it was fairly easy to replace the head unit so I have Bluetooth connectivity.
jkahless Custom Title
DukeofNuke posted:

Why listen to the radio? Load that sucker up with music for the trip!
You could also download a GPS app that does map downloading and use it. That way there is no internet connection required while you travel. I think I just read a review of TomTom's app.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
jkahless posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Why listen to the radio? Load that sucker up with music for the trip!

My local NPR station has a fantastic new music show every evening that is a great way to discover new bands, just for one example.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I’d love to replace the head unit with something that had decent Bluetooth (‘17 Rogue). The BT wont maintain the connection to my 5S, I have to go into the menu to turn BT on and then pair the phone every time I start the car. Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but the Nissan website was no help so I just gave up ... fiddlesticks it.
I didn’t know there was a GPS app that didn’t require an internet connection. I’ll look into that, After all, I only get out of town once or twice a year.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
DukeofNuke posted:

Hell yes. I'm rarely useful for tech help anymore these days.
DukeofNuke posted:
I’d love to replace the head unit with something that had decent Bluetooth (‘17 Rogue). The BT wont maintain the connection to my 5S, I have to go into the menu to turn BT on and then pair the phone every time I start the car. Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but the Nissan website was no help so I just gave up ... fiddlesticks it.
I didn’t know there was a GPS app that didn’t require an internet connection. I’ll look into that, After all, I only get out of town once or twice a year.

Google maps will let you predownload a map for a defined area which is handy.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

iPhone, Maps, and GPS question