Wife's iCloud account needs an enema

Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
My wife has been getting notifications that her iCloud storage is almost full. Which it is - 4.5GB of 5GB (Apple should be ashamed at that, but that's neither here nor there). The trouble is, there are 2.1GB of backups that don't appear to be connected to anything. I turned backups off on both of her active devices and the 2.1GB is still there.

My guess is that these are old backups from the 6S Plus (which was damaged) and the iPad Air that we gave to our daughter. I'm guessing we forgot to turn backups off before factory resetting them and the backups are now lost in space, but still taking up space.

Is there any way to just nuke the hell out of an iCloud account and start over?
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
https://www.icloud.com/

Settings

You can remove devices from there.
That's the problem. I removed the devices and readded them. The backup storage didn't change. Both devices show no backups in the iCloud management settings page.

There is a little over 2GB of backups that don't correspond to any device still associated with the account.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
That's the problem. I removed the devices and readded them. The backup storage didn't change. Both devices show no backups in the iCloud management settings page.

There is a little over 2GB of backups that don't correspond to any device still associated with the account.

I had my iCloud get all full deleted a bunch of apps from the backup list. nothing changed for days then, poof, the space was available. I have noticed that Apple is really, really reluctant to delete things. Even locally I notice when I clear my photos folder, which I do regularly because I use Drop box and Google photos, that the space from the deleted photos does not show up for a day or two.
Seems like "deleting" things on an iPhone just moves them to an invisible trash and then that trash gets emptied at some arbitrary point latter.
Pariah posted:
[snip]
I have noticed that Apple is really, really reluctant to delete things. Even locally
[snip]

Dat's true.

Recently I woke up and crawled over to my MacBook Pro only to discover an on-screen warning that it was almost full. I checked the available space and saw that I only had 21 MB available on a 750 GB SSD.

Now the problem was trying to figure out what was causing this. Having seen this problem before, I scrolled down my list of podcasts in iTunes because for some reason iTunes will "decide" that I need to have the entire back catalog of past episodes for a given podcast.

Eventually I saw that "The Skeptics Guide to the Universe" was the culprit (not that it was that podcast's fault, just iTunes). Now their episodes vary from between 1 and 2 hours long, so between 20 and 50 MB each depending on the audio quality which has changed over the years.

BUT their latest episode was #728, so to download the entire back catalog would take up between 15 and 37 GBs. I saw that iTunes finally gave up around episode 375, marking the undownloaded episodes with that cloud symbol.

Annoyingly I was in the midst of my catching up on past episodes I had missed during my hospitalization so near the end of that list I had about twenty fully downloaded episodes I had not yet listened to interspersed between those unsuccessful downloads. Easy enough to spot and sort through but annoying that I had to do this at all.

After doing that cleanup, I also saw that a number of my OTHER podcasts were marked with that label that iTunes puts on some because of some problem (specifically my hard drive being nearly full). I told iTunes to refresh my podcast library but iTunes again complained about not having enough space. While I should have had maybe 25-30 GBs free after emptying the trash, MacOS was being especially slow in ACTUALLY freeing up that space.

I took a break for breakfast, then had no problems with the iTunes podcasts refresh afterwards.
I called Apple support for iCloud and they removed the homeless backups for me. It took being elevated to a supervisor to do it, but she's now back well under the limit.

This is really something you should be able to do from home, but at least it's fixed.
I currently have that problem and its why I turned off iCloud. If Apple can't fix something that obvious, fiddlesticks em.
Kirk posted:
I currently have that problem and its why I turned off iCloud. If Apple can't fix something that obvious, fiddlesticks em.

Yeah, iCloud is a travesty and Apple should be ashamed that it's the best they offer. You shouldn't have to call tech support to delete something, and 5GB is a sick joke when everyone else starts their free accounts at 3x that.
TOS
i have that problem, and i know it's a ton of old photos i don't want deleted ... but try as i might i haven't been able to download the photos to my current phone so i can back them up to my google photos account

i'm so damn sick of apple's blatherskite
macnuke Afar
macnuke posted:
speaking of iCloud...

a timely mashable article.

https://mashable.com/article/how-to-clear-icloud-storage/

That only works as long as the device that created the backup is still associated with the account. If it is lost or destroyed, the only way to delete that back up is to call Apple.

In my case, I made the mistake of not erasing the backups before factory resetting the phone. (I used a third-party repair place)
macnuke Afar
that's stick fiddled up.. you should be able to......
A: log into iCloud
B: do whatever the fiddlesticks you need to do... add/merge/erase.
without big brother holding your hand.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
iCloud has always been awful.

They seem to get people to signup only by badgering them into it.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Wife's iCloud account needs an enema