Chrome privacy? Google wouldn't do that.

Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
macnuke Afar
Pariah Know Your Enemy
This is news?
Using Chrome is basically standing nude out on the internet with your dick waggling around.

Last edited by Pariah on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:42 am.

macnuke Afar
for some.... yes
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
mercurynews.com wants me to turn off my ad blocker

hahahaha!
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Pariah posted:
This is news?
Using Chrome is basically standing nude out on the internet with your dick waggling around.

The irony in this post
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
Pariah posted:
This is news?

The irony in this post

Well, my dick is only out wagging when I want it to be. The vast majority have their wangs exposed and have no idea that is the case.
TOS
look, as far as i'm concerned you either use digital technology with the full expectation that everything about you is tracked and mined, or you go 100% analogue
Donkey Butter jerk face
you could also not use some of the worst offenders and support those companies that are a little more ethical.
macnuke Afar
Donkey Butter posted:
you could also not use some of the worst offenders and support those companies that are a little more ethical.

money and ethics on the internet are usually inversely proportional
dv
macnuke posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

money and ethics on the internet are usually inversely proportional

Don't be evil poor.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
look, as far as i'm concerned you either use digital technology with the full expectation that everything about you is tracked and mined, or you go 100% analogue

The ad industry would sure like it if everyone took that position.
I know we live in a conversational context where issues tend to be discussed as if everything were binary but there are valid matters of degree here.
The fact that chrome by default allows thousands more trackers, beacons and what have you than Firefox does by default matters. The fact that Firefox can be pretty easily hardened against most of the spying the default setup misses matters. It matters that no matter how hard you try to harden Chrome you cannot defeat Chrome's baked in spying.
TOS
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

Ugh,

As far as the whole privacy thing goes, as a practical matter I am not all that concerned. My personal opsec approach is I keep things that really matter offline, in particular I don't do online banking.
My actual motivation for hardening mt browser against ad network spying is to toss just a little sand into the whole spying for profit thing. I want my visits to sites to produce as little value as I possibly can.
I want advertisers and sites to make money the old fashioned way: By figuring out their demographic and presenting ads based on that just like newspapers and magazines have done for the last couple of centuries.
While there is a great deal of lamentation about lost revenues hurting sites I take the opposite view. I think it is far too easy to make money on-line from ad network affiliations and this is why the web is over flowing with blatherskite sites that are nothing but click factories.
The web was plenty rich with content before you could really make any money on it. So I would like to push back, and help cause some needed culling.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
The irony is that no one has yet shown that all these targeted ads work any better than the old fashioned kind. There was this tremendous hype over "behavioral advertising", but it seems the whole industry is chasing its tail. By the time they figure out what you might be in the market for, you aren't. Witness the endless ads trying to sell you something you just bought. The rest of the time it just creeps people out.

If these dumb motherlovers would ever figure that out, and stop wasting money on it, most of this tracking crap would go away on its own. Unfortunately, these clowns just can't seem to accept that there is a limit to what behavioral ads can accomplish. As Par said, advertising based on the expected audience has been a time tested method for centuries, and it doesn't creep people out.
dv
maurvir posted:
The irony is that no one has yet shown that all these targeted ads work any better than the old fashioned kind. There was this tremendous hype over "behavioral advertising", but it seems the whole industry is chasing its tail. By the time they figure out what you might be in the market for, you aren't. Witness the endless ads trying to sell you something you just bought. The rest of the time it just creeps people out.

If these dumb motherlovers would ever figure that out, and stop wasting money on it, most of this tracking crap would go away on its own. Unfortunately, these clowns just can't seem to accept that there is a limit to what behavioral ads can accomplish. As Par said, advertising based on the expected audience has been a time tested method for centuries, and it doesn't creep people out.

There's a LOT of money to be made selling solutions to problems, whether they exist or not. Convince a C-level that their company can't afford to be left behind/out and they will shovel money at you for a couple years at least. Then it's on to the next "next big thing."
dv posted:
There's a LOT of money to be made selling solutions to problems, whether they exist or not. Convince a C-level that their company can't afford to be left behind/out and they will shovel money at you for a couple years at least. Then it's on to the next "next big thing."

I agree. The mere use of the ad-tech is far more important than its claimed efficacy.
TOS
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:

not really much of a history delete there.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Chrome privacy? Google wouldn't do that.