Using Firefox 67.0.2 with anti-virus software?

Online now: Google [Bot]
You might consider backtracking to Firefox 67.0.1 because there are reports that such anti-virus software is renaming the password file used by Firefox to make it unusable by Firefox.

My guess is that the encryption of the Firefox password file accidentally creates some string which resembles a string used by anti-virus software to identify infected files, so as a precaution either Avast or AVG (or both?) will add ".corrupt" to end of the name of that file so Firefox cannot use it.

Unfortunately the instructions as given at the link above are out of date or possibly applies only to Windows. I could not follow them to look at my Mac version of Firefox.

For Mac users, backtrack to Firefox version 67.0.1 or:
1) quit Firefox.
2) go into your anti-virus software and tell it to ignore [Hard drive name]/Users/[your account name]/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[some random string].default/logins.json. If you have multiple users you will have to repeat this step for each user account. This is strictly a temporary step and should be removed after Firefox gets updated to version 67.0.3 or later (depending on which version makes the appropriate fix).
3) go to Finder.
4) hold down the Option key and find "Library" under the "Go" menu item.
5) tunnel down the folder path through Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[some random string].default. Again, if you have multiple users on your Mac you will find a [some random string].default for each of them so you may have to repeat the next step for each of them.
6) inside this folder there you may find "logins.json.corrupt". Remove ".corrupt" from that filename.

If you did not do step 2 above, then your anti-virus software will make the same name change when you quit Firefox.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Anti-virus? Who uses AV on a Mac?
Who uses antivirus period? If you have a good adblocker and half a brain then even Windows Defender can handle the rest
Pariah posted:

Me? Nah.

But I have considered installing one on my mom's Mac. At one point something she did installed something into Safari which changed the home page so that any attempts to change it to anything else like a blank page would get reverted to an odd version of the Yahoo home page upon restarting Safari. Fortunately MalwareBytes was able to fix that particular problem.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Pariah posted:
I do.

AVG Free.

And MalwareBytes, occasionally.
macnuke Afar
obvs posted:
] I do.

AVG Free.

so you basically give the russians your data for free ;)

yes I know they are in the Netherlands
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I remember, way back in the day I installed some AV, probably Norton's on a Win98 PC. I was super ignorant about Windows then so when it flagged every single .jar file on that PC as a virus I told it to go ahead and clean them out.
:heh:
Pariah posted:
I remember, way back in the day I installed some AV, probably Norton's on a Win98 PC. I was super ignorant about Windows then so when it flagged every single .jar file on that PC as a virus I told it to go ahead and clean them out.

That'd just require reinstalling an app or two, right?

Also: Java? hissss
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
macnuke posted:
obvs posted:
] I do.

AVG Free.

so you basically give the russians your data for free ;)

yes I know they are in the Netherlands
Russians in the Netherlands?
macnuke Afar
Founded 1991
Founder Jan Gritzbach Tomáš Hofer
Headquarters Brno, Czech Republic

yeah. no russians there either
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:

Had to reinstall Java.
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:

Had to reinstall Java.

To be fair, legends tell of a time where the jre wasn't pure garbage that shoved crapware down your throat when you updated it and shoved malware down your throat when you didn't.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Using Firefox 67.0.2 with anti-virus software?