I bought the cheapest awesome cam

Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso
justine Elitist Beer Lover
It's a Wyze cam. I bought it off Amazon, which is more, but the free shipping made up for it. It was $25. It's actually an indoor cam that i have in the window pointing out. Detects sound and motion. I'm buying another one. I'll post a pic shortly.
There's a little blur because of how i have it angled and it's recording thru a window at an angle.

That's a good technique to avoid the extra expense and hassle of wiring outdoor cameras. Though now you need to keep that window really clean ;)
I know, and it's not wireless.
I get bats on my cameras about every other night, generally a little after midnight. The moths come to the infrared LEDs and the bats follow the moths.
I probably wouldn’t have that problem
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
How well does the app work? Motion alerts come through quick enough to alert a porch pirate that you're recording them?
It seems to be quick. You can set the sensitivity, and i think mine is too sensitive. It picks up everything in the street.
I access my controls via web page. I can set sensitivity based on seconds. In other words if the view changes and the changes continue for X seconds, then the cameras will record Y seconds before, during the entire event however long it lasts and Y seconds after the event. All variables are settable. I'm running a UniFi system.
https://www.ui.com/
I'm playing with my settings right now. I don't want a notification every time a car drives by.
macnuke Afar
justine posted:
I'm playing with my settings right now. I don't want a notification every time a car drives by.

but but UPS delivery dudes
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I once had a trail cam set up watching the property (empty lot) across the road from the house, just playing with it. When I looked at the pics I noticed a lot of pics of nothing but the property, with perhaps a cloud of swirling dust. I finally figured out that cars going by would trigger the camera but be gone so quickly that when the cam took the pic they weren't there anymore.
I see all the cars that trigger it. No, i don't want to see UPS vehicles. I want to see the delivery person coming up to my door. I've already recorded 3 FedEx trucks today. :/
justine posted:

Definitely not. I've got my email notifications set up to send me something if and only if the event lasts at least 60 seconds. So far the only notifications I get are when I'm working in the yard. Oh and one time a cat caught a bird in my front yard.
I'm not sure this one can do a 60 second recording. It's still new to me :)
Well, mine sends back the files to the NAS. You could set yours to store files on a computer. You'd have to leave it on constantly. Also that computer would need a fixed IP address to make that work smoothly.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
I once had a trail cam set up watching the property (empty lot) across the road from the house, just playing with it. When I looked at the pics I noticed a lot of pics of nothing but the property, with perhaps a cloud of swirling dust. I finally figured out that cars going by would trigger the camera but be gone so quickly that when the cam took the pic they weren't there anymore.

you fool, it's actually shape-shifting lizard-alien sasquatch shadow people!
TOS
Kirk posted:
Well, mine sends back the files to the NAS. You could set yours to store files on a computer. You'd have to leave it on constantly. Also that computer would need a fixed IP address to make that work smoothly.

I can save to an SD card or the cloud. I don't think i can save it to my computer, and it does appear, they get knocked off after so many videos.
TOS posted:
hey justine don’t forget to post freaky videos

https://mashable.com/article/weird-crea ... ssion=true

I can show leaves blowing and cars driving by LOL
TOS
justine posted:
TOS posted:
hey justine don’t forget to post freaky videos

https://mashable.com/article/weird-crea ... ssion=true

I can show leaves blowing and cars driving by LOL

dammit, woman!

i want ghosts, i want aliens, i want chupacabra!
Trust me! I'm checking LOL
I bought 2 more. I put one in the kitchen window that faces the front door, and my roommate wanted one for her room to face the backyard. It was fairly easy to set up 2 cams on the one app (must be easy if i could do it), but i think i'm going to set my roommates up on a separate app on her phone.
Old Yoda agitator
justine, did you read any of the reviews?
Quote:
The camera video quality is definitely good, but there is no privacy... Since there is no way to use the camera locally without their app and just using a regular app like "ip cam viewer" that simply uses RTSP, I ended up putting an SD card on it and disabling its internet access by assigning an IP that is restricted by my router...

Well, to my surprise, the camera is CHINESE intelligent and decided to change its macaddress to a new one (completely different from the one in the back label) in order to gain a new IP from my router and regain internet access.

Quote:
I never used this product. I unboxed it and then downloaded the app & read the user agreement and absolutely cannot consent to the terms. Please read and understand the clause about subrogation claims BEFORE you use this product. It puts the user at admittedly unlikely, but very real legal and financial jeopardy in the event of the product failing in such a manner that harm is caused- for example the cord catching fire. USER is repsonsible for all legal fees or fines/claims against the product EVEN if the product was at fault! For me, being someone who just lost a home in a fire with a product that is being pursued under subrogation by my insurance company there is NO WAY I would consent to this!!

Thanks, OY. I wouldn't have bought it if i had read it was made in China, however, i WILL keep a close eye on it. As for privacy concerns, it's not being used as intended, which is indoors. I have mine pointed out.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Here is a perfect example of don't plug crap you don't trust into your network. None of my Vizio televisions have ever been given the WiFi passcode, nor have they been plugged into the wired network, and they never will.
TOS
where is my goddamned bigfoot???
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I bought the cheapest awesome cam