A Stuborn Pop-up.

Online now: Warin
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Today I was surfing around and up popped the page below.
For the first time in years and years I was facing something that was extremely hard to dismiss.
I could not switch tabs, right click was locked out, the close widget on the "log-in" window would immediately reopen when closed
I finally got it to go away by entering random chars in the user and password field and then control clicking on the close widget. At no point were the cancel or OK buttons responsive to clicks.
What is this thing? Is it aimed at me or the owner of the domain I was directed to?

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
delete your browser history
Some websites use human waste like this that adblock doesn't catch. Firefox on my computer seems to limit sites to three popups before it starts to suppress them, so I just hit cancel a few times. I should find somewhere else for torrents.

edit: Oh hey TPB is back up

Last edited by Betonhaus on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:54 am.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
DukeofNuke posted:
delete your browser history

I deleted the specific entry for this page.
I like my history. :)
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
No-script. This is literally what it's for.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
"virus alarm of microsoft"

Yeah, right. Microsoft wrote that. Sure, I believe it. I'll click ok. You want me to install something too?

*keeps reading around the screenshot*

OMG, everything about that web page is horrible!

FAKE! FAKE! FAKE!

ABORT!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I've gotten similar pop-ups on my Mac.
"Windows has locked your computer! DO NOT close this window! DO NOT shut down your computer!"...
So, obviously, the first thing I do is shut down the computer. Reboot and delete history.
I gotta say, though, it's kinda scary. The first reaction is, "Wait. what ... Windows?" then panic, "What the fiddlesticks have these uncouth individuals done to my computer?!"

:eek: + :mad:
obvs precoupado
Pariah posted:
For the first time in years and years I was facing something that was extremely hard to dismiss.
I could not switch tabs, right click was locked out, the close widget on the "log-in" window would immediately reopen when closed
I finally got it to go away by entering random chars in the user and password field and then control clicking on the close widget. At no point were the cancel or OK buttons responsive to clicks.
What is this thing? Is it aimed at me or the owner of the domain I was directed to?

Does Alt f4 close windows on your system?

How about the escape key?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
Pariah posted:

Does Alt f4 close windows on your system?

How about the escape key?

I didn't think to try those.
obvs precoupado
Scammers rely on the fact that most people will try to use the GUI to deal with whatever appears on screen.

Generally, keyboard shortcuts get you straight out of the app safely. Three times this week I've landed on pages that have said "Your computer is locked. Pay us yadda yadda yadda, or yadda yadda yadda," and each time I used keyboard shortcuts to get the tab closed.

If not, you can bring up a terminal window and kill the browser process.
Apart from the pop up being annoying there is no chance of the machine being compromised as long as it's a Linux or mac system, I would think.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ribtor posted:
Apart from the pop up being annoying there is no chance of the machine being compromised as long as it's a Linux or mac system, I would think.

Anything is possible, but when it directly references "Windows" and you are sitting at a Linux computer... Yeah, it's 100% guaranteed to be blatherskite.

The reason I mention no-script is because I haven't seen anything like that in years. I forgot they were even still a thing.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
Scammers rely on the fact that most people will try to use the GUI to deal with whatever appears on screen.

Generally, keyboard shortcuts get you straight out of the app safely. Three times this week I've landed on pages that have said "Your computer is locked. Pay us yadda yadda yadda, or yadda yadda yadda," and each time I used keyboard shortcuts to get the tab closed.

If not, you can bring up a terminal window and kill the browser process.

Oh, I know I could have just killed the browser but I was really curious about this persistent thing I had on my hands. It never entered my mind to be worried.
I was curious if this wasn't a warning from the server host to the owner of the VM I was accessing. I have run into those before and they can be pretty persistent too.
But, ya, running desktop Linux, no LAMP stack, no web services running, firewall turned on, I am pretty invulnerable online.
kamizuno Lasercat targeting.....
hackers sometimes use Javascript to do stuff like this, turning off javascript will elimanate the problem. But this could also be something g else :shrug:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

A Stuborn Pop-up.