microsoft unveils xbone successor

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], j_tso, juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], Vulture
TOS
"project scarlett" has some interesting specs

8k video, 120 frames per second, an ssd, plus their new game streaming service
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I'm going to invent a server that will unify all the gadgets by streaming virtual versions of them.
Metacell posted:
I'm going to invent a server that will unify all the gadgets by streaming virtual versions of them.

That'll be dependent on your connection to the server. Playstation Now and Nvidia's system hasn't exactly been a roaring success, though we can see how Google Stadia and Microsoft xCloud turn out.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

OK, now that screens have surpassed the human eyes ability to resolve detail, what is the next thing to compete over?
jkahless Custom Title
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

OK, now that screens have surpassed the human eyes ability to resolve detail, what is the next thing to compete over?

Full haptic feedback. The better to escape our post apocalyptic hellhole future with. :shrug:
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
jkahless posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Full haptic feedback. The better to escape our post apocalyptic hellhole future with. :shrug:

object detection, or whatever it's called

even in newer games you still see objects and/or characters clipping through walls or things

I'm glad I found this gruesome example

It's unacceptable that still happens in video games.
obvs precoupado
Programming is complicated, yo.

Computers do literally everything they're told to do, and sometimes that includes something no one would have guessed.
Betonhaus posted:
Metacell posted:

That'll be dependent on your connection to the server. Playstation Now and Nvidia's system hasn't exactly been a roaring success, though we can see how Google Stadia and Microsoft xCloud turn out.

Oh for sure it will be 5G dependent. But that will make all device-based systems irrelevant, other than any receiver you have.
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

more practical and affordable vr for consoles, i guess ... but methinks gaming is going to be almost all mobile before too long
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I'm surprised they still want to use optical disc media.
TOS
the profit margin is killer on those things
Pariah Know Your Enemy
An optical drive, how quaint.
ukimalefu posted:
jkahless posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

object detection, or whatever it's called

even in newer games you still see objects and/or characters clipping through walls or things

I'm glad I found this gruesome example

It's unacceptable that still happens in video games.

That example would be more of a collision detection thing; which is actually very CPU intensive to calculate accurately. You are talking a mixture of soft and hard body dynamics, along with deformation of the mesh; and rag doll physics.

In my opinion one of the best games that actually utilized collision detected in a good way was Deus Ex, as you receive damage on a per limb/body manner and if limbs were injured, it made certain things a lot harder to do.
You'd think a sports game would be the one place they'd really want to show off the physics engine.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
ukimalefu posted:

Well sure, but they really worked that gravitational parabolic curve.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

microsoft unveils xbone successor