boeing ain't out of the water yet ...

Online now: Pariah
TOS
new safety issue found with the 737

apparently there might be some defective parts in the wing .. the faa says it's not a fatal defect, but it sure don't look good

wall street is saying the company is facing a threat to its existence, while operators are saying that even if they get the green light it will take months to get the planes back up and running

let's face it, boeing is waaaay too big to fail, so uncle sugar will always bail them out if necessary

but things could get mighty messy
macnuke Afar
i say let em fail.
and stop the bail outs.
it's a private company... if the shareholders want it to survive... they can just invest what it takes to get it up and running again.
if the shareholders don't want to cough up.. then it's gunna die.
I still think Boeing will recover from their latest stupid mistake. That said don't buy their stock until the market crash is near bottom, say 2020.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Stupid mistake is 364 dead people.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Boeing is in zero danger of going bankrupt. Remember kids, Boeing is generally in the top 4 of US defense contractors. They occasionally switch places with Lockheed Martin for #1 or #2.

They are in danger of losing their neck and neck status in civilian aircraft sales to Airbus, which is why they rushed the 737 Max in the first place.
TOS
fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis
dv
TOS posted:
fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis

Fun fact: we'll be on the hook for it. That's how capitalism works now.
maurvir Meat popsicle
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Yup, because the US government will not permit Boeing to go bankrupt as it would adversely affect national security. We taxpayers are eventually going to foot the bill if this gets bad enough, much as we did with GM and Chrysler.
macnuke Afar
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Yup, because the US government will not permit Boeing to go bankrupt as it would adversely affect national security. We taxpayers are eventually going to foot the bill if this gets bad enough, much as we did with GM and Chrysler.

don't forget the football stadiums.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:

the only alternative to taxpayer support would be regulatory, such as allowing it, at least the military side, to be bought for a song by lockheed

thereby creating a defense industry monopoly
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Ya, but the government got paid back by Chrysler and made a profit on the GM deal.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Gawd - these folks vote.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Ya, but the government got paid back by Chrysler and made a profit on the GM deal.

The same would probably be true of Boeing as well. The comparisons to Airbus will sting for a while, but once they get their heads out of their asses, they still produce a quality aircraft.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners
macnuke Afar
DukeofNuke posted:

and drop you off at your destination like you were Slim Pickens?
so... when is this "fix" supposed to be out anyways? I keep hearing it get pushed back.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DukeofNuke posted:

That would be amazing. I'd buy a ticket. :)

The noise of a B-52 might be an issue. You can hear one of those things take off from 15 miles away. Sounds like someone is using God's own sub-woofer.
macnuke Afar
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

The noise of a B-52 might be an issue. You can hear one of those things take off from 15 miles away. Sounds like someone is using God's own sub-woofer.

bose noise cancelling earphones and call it a day :p
Betonhaus posted:
so... when is this "fix" supposed to be out anyways? I keep hearing it get pushed back.

'Soon' seems like an amusing best guess.
Supposedly the software is fixed and they await FAA recertification. Note they already missed an earlier late May estimate.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/america ... 7-max.html
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

I suspect people on the ground will not find that an acceptable solution.
Have you ever heard a B-52 take off?
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Pariah posted:
macnuke posted:
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

My 5th grade was a couple miles from Westover AFB in 1965-66. Vietnam in full bloom. My recollection has the teacher not being able to talk (be heard over the engines roar) for some time every 5 minutes or so. B-52s both incoming and taking off.
macnuke Afar
iDaemon posted:
Pariah posted:
macnuke posted:
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

My 5th grade was a couple miles from Westover AFB in 1965-66. Vietnam in full bloom. My recollection has the teacher not being able to talk (be heard over the engines roar) for some time every 5 minutes or so. B-52s both incoming and taking off.

yes. i have heard the roar many times in my youth.. its a sound that you just don't forget.
TOS
i experienced an sr-71 overflight once

now that was a powerful experience
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
iDaemon posted:
Pariah posted:
macnuke posted:
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

yes. i have heard the roar many times in my youth.. its a sound that you just don't forget.

Under the right conditions I could hear them taking off from Tinker at my house in Mustang, 25 miles away.
jkahless Custom Title
It’s incredible the amount of power it takes to keep one of them birds in the air. A water bomber did a treetop level pass over a lake in front of me, and it was like the entire atmosphere started to vibrate.
"You know what keeps those birds up?"

-"hell, the aerodynamics alone would take so long to explain to yo..."

"Funding. That's what makes those birds go up"
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ribtor posted:

Quote:
Mal: It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
River: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Mal: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
River: Storm's getting worse.
Mal: We'll pass through soon enough.

ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Pariah posted:
Ribtor posted:

Quote:
Mal: It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
River: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Mal: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
River: Storm's getting worse.
Mal: We'll pass through soon enough.

I'm a leaf on the wind
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

boeing ain't out of the water yet ...