boeing ain't out of the water yet ...

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
Post Reply
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39400
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

boeing ain't out of the water yet ...

Post by TOS »

new safety issue found with the 737

apparently there might be some defective parts in the wing .. the faa says it's not a fatal defect, but it sure don't look good

wall street is saying the company is facing a threat to its existence, while operators are saying that even if they get the green light it will take months to get the planes back up and running

let's face it, boeing is waaaay too big to fail, so uncle sugar will always bail them out if necessary

but things could get mighty messy
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
macnuke
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am
Title: PureBleed
Location: Here

Post by macnuke »

i say let em fail.
and stop the bail outs.
it's a private company... if the shareholders want it to survive... they can just invest what it takes to get it up and running again.
if the shareholders don't want to cough up.. then it's gunna die.

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 25939
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: SLO

Post by Kirk »

I still think Boeing will recover from their latest stupid mistake. That said don't buy their stock until the market crash is near bottom, say 2020.
User avatar
iDaemon
Posts: 15387
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 pm
Title: infinitely loopy
Location: Cape Fear

Post by iDaemon »

Stupid mistake is 364 dead people.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

https://kottke.org/18/02/a-list-of-25-p ... rry-barlow
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25367
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Boeing is in zero danger of going bankrupt. Remember kids, Boeing is generally in the top 4 of US defense contractors. They occasionally switch places with Lockheed Martin for #1 or #2.

They are in danger of losing their neck and neck status in civilian aircraft sales to Airbus, which is why they rushed the 737 Max in the first place.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39400
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30687
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

TOS wrote: fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis


Fun fact: we'll be on the hook for it. That's how capitalism works now.
Image
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25367
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

dv wrote:
TOS wrote: fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis


Fun fact: we'll be on the hook for it. That's how capitalism works now.


Yup, because the US government will not permit Boeing to go bankrupt as it would adversely affect national security. We taxpayers are eventually going to foot the bill if this gets bad enough, much as we did with GM and Chrysler.
User avatar
macnuke
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am
Title: PureBleed
Location: Here

Post by macnuke »

maurvir wrote:
dv wrote:
TOS wrote: fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis


Fun fact: we'll be on the hook for it. That's how capitalism works now.


Yup, because the US government will not permit Boeing to go bankrupt as it would adversely affect national security. We taxpayers are eventually going to foot the bill if this gets bad enough, much as we did with GM and Chrysler.



don't forget the football stadiums.

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39400
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

dv wrote:
TOS wrote: fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis


Fun fact: we'll be on the hook for it. That's how capitalism works now.


the only alternative to taxpayer support would be regulatory, such as allowing it, at least the military side, to be bought for a song by lockheed

thereby creating a defense industry monopoly
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22754
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

maurvir wrote:
dv wrote:
TOS wrote: fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis


Fun fact: we'll be on the hook for it. That's how capitalism works now.


Yup, because the US government will not permit Boeing to go bankrupt as it would adversely affect national security. We taxpayers are eventually going to foot the bill if this gets bad enough, much as we did with GM and Chrysler.

Ya, but the government got paid back by Chrysler and made a profit on the GM deal.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
iDaemon
Posts: 15387
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 pm
Title: infinitely loopy
Location: Cape Fear

Post by iDaemon »

Gawd - these folks vote.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

https://kottke.org/18/02/a-list-of-25-p ... rry-barlow
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25367
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Pariah wrote:
maurvir wrote:
dv wrote:
TOS wrote: fun fact: boeing is carrying around $15 billion in debt, and it's piling up more debt to get through this crisis


Fun fact: we'll be on the hook for it. That's how capitalism works now.


Yup, because the US government will not permit Boeing to go bankrupt as it would adversely affect national security. We taxpayers are eventually going to foot the bill if this gets bad enough, much as we did with GM and Chrysler.

Ya, but the government got paid back by Chrysler and made a profit on the GM deal.


The same would probably be true of Boeing as well. The comparisons to Airbus will sting for a while, but once they get their heads out of their asses, they still produce a quality aircraft.
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33308
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
macnuke
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am
Title: PureBleed
Location: Here

Post by macnuke »

DukeofNuke wrote: they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners


and drop you off at your destination like you were Slim Pickens?
Image

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

User avatar
Betonhaus
Posts: 2911
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Post by Betonhaus »

so... when is this "fix" supposed to be out anyways? I keep hearing it get pushed back.
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22754
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

DukeofNuke wrote: they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners

That would be amazing. I'd buy a ticket. :)

The noise of a B-52 might be an issue. You can hear one of those things take off from 15 miles away. Sounds like someone is using God's own sub-woofer.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
macnuke
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am
Title: PureBleed
Location: Here

Post by macnuke »

Pariah wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote: they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners

That would be amazing. I'd buy a ticket. :)

The noise of a B-52 might be an issue. You can hear one of those things take off from 15 miles away. Sounds like someone is using God's own sub-woofer.



bose noise cancelling earphones and call it a day :p

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 25939
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: SLO

Post by Kirk »

Betonhaus wrote: so... when is this "fix" supposed to be out anyways? I keep hearing it get pushed back.

'Soon' seems like an amusing best guess.
Supposedly the software is fixed and they await FAA recertification. Note they already missed an earlier late May estimate.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/america ... 7-max.html
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22754
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

macnuke wrote:
Pariah wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote: they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners

That would be amazing. I'd buy a ticket. :)

The noise of a B-52 might be an issue. You can hear one of those things take off from 15 miles away. Sounds like someone is using God's own sub-woofer.



bose noise cancelling earphones and call it a day :p

I suspect people on the ground will not find that an acceptable solution.
Have you ever heard a B-52 take off?
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
iDaemon
Posts: 15387
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 pm
Title: infinitely loopy
Location: Cape Fear

Post by iDaemon »

Pariah wrote:
macnuke wrote:
Pariah wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote: they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners

That would be amazing. I'd buy a ticket. :)

The noise of a B-52 might be an issue. You can hear one of those things take off from 15 miles away. Sounds like someone is using God's own sub-woofer.



bose noise cancelling earphones and call it a day :p

I suspect people on the ground will not find that an acceptable solution.
Have you ever heard a B-52 take off?

My 5th grade was a couple miles from Westover AFB in 1965-66. Vietnam in full bloom. My recollection has the teacher not being able to talk (be heard over the engines roar) for some time every 5 minutes or so. B-52s both incoming and taking off.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

https://kottke.org/18/02/a-list-of-25-p ... rry-barlow
User avatar
macnuke
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am
Title: PureBleed
Location: Here

Post by macnuke »

iDaemon wrote:
Pariah wrote:
macnuke wrote:
Pariah wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote: they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners

That would be amazing. I'd buy a ticket. :)

The noise of a B-52 might be an issue. You can hear one of those things take off from 15 miles away. Sounds like someone is using God's own sub-woofer.



bose noise cancelling earphones and call it a day :p

I suspect people on the ground will not find that an acceptable solution.
Have you ever heard a B-52 take off?

My 5th grade was a couple miles from Westover AFB in 1965-66. Vietnam in full bloom. My recollection has the teacher not being able to talk (be heard over the engines roar) for some time every 5 minutes or so. B-52s both incoming and taking off.


yes. i have heard the roar many times in my youth.. its a sound that you just don't forget.

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39400
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

i experienced an sr-71 overflight once

now that was a powerful experience
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22754
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

macnuke wrote:
iDaemon wrote:
Pariah wrote:
macnuke wrote:
Pariah wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote: they could convert some B-52s into passenger liners

That would be amazing. I'd buy a ticket. :)

The noise of a B-52 might be an issue. You can hear one of those things take off from 15 miles away. Sounds like someone is using God's own sub-woofer.



bose noise cancelling earphones and call it a day :p

I suspect people on the ground will not find that an acceptable solution.
Have you ever heard a B-52 take off?

My 5th grade was a couple miles from Westover AFB in 1965-66. Vietnam in full bloom. My recollection has the teacher not being able to talk (be heard over the engines roar) for some time every 5 minutes or so. B-52s both incoming and taking off.


yes. i have heard the roar many times in my youth.. its a sound that you just don't forget.

Under the right conditions I could hear them taking off from Tinker at my house in Mustang, 25 miles away.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
jkahless
Posts: 6416
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

It’s incredible the amount of power it takes to keep one of them birds in the air. A water bomber did a treetop level pass over a lake in front of me, and it was like the entire atmosphere started to vibrate.
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9369
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

"You know what keeps those birds up?"

-"hell, the aerodynamics alone would take so long to explain to yo..."

"Funding. That's what makes those birds go up"
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22754
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Ribtor wrote: "You know what keeps those birds up?"

-"hell, the aerodynamics alone would take so long to explain to yo..."

"Funding. That's what makes those birds go up"

Mal: It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
River: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Mal: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
River: Storm's getting worse.
Mal: We'll pass through soon enough.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44236
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Pariah wrote:
Ribtor wrote: "You know what keeps those birds up?"

-"hell, the aerodynamics alone would take so long to explain to yo..."

"Funding. That's what makes those birds go up"

Mal: It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
River: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Mal: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
River: Storm's getting worse.
Mal: We'll pass through soon enough.


I'm a leaf on the wind
Post Reply