WWDC 2019

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
TOS
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

webp: 49k

OK, that's insanely small file size. I didn't know that. Google needs to make images very small to fill your bandwidth with ads.

Now

png: 315 kb

and

jpg: 53k, 65/100 quality

-

Wow, 4kb savings over jpg...why, this will change everything!!!! :der:
This will make the jpg2000 revolution look like nothing happened at all.

hey, 4kb was a lot, once upon a time! on dialup with your mom constantly picking up the phone, it could mean an extra seven minutes load time
macnuke Afar
don't forget your avatar here is limited to 10k
I have been on some that limit to 96K
iDaemon infinitely loopy
https://www.applefritter.com/content/ic ... ve-mac-pro
Quote:
Do you need to render complex 3d models, or edit 8K video, but can’t afford a new Mac Pro?
Introducing the iCanWait.

Simply start your processor-intensive task on your old, ordinary iMac, pick up your iCanWait in its convenient, portable stand, and go get lunch. The iCanWait mirrors the screen of your Mac, so you’ll know when you can get to back to work.
To build your own iCanWait, you’ll need a Raspberry Pi, 3.5 LCD, and a Mainstays 9" stand. The stand is a bargain at $3.44. Competing stands cost 290 times that amount.
A battery is optional – some people prefer to leave their iCanWait permanently in the kitchen.

is the new mac pro a good cheese grater? (and how to make that grill if you watch the video from the beginning)

https://youtu.be/s29YZqe9Cso?t=367
TOS
i was kind of shocked when i saw the prices for the new mac pro
TOS posted:

not as insanely expensive as it seems

links somewhere in the thread

I think for the first time a "pro" mac is actually only for pros, as in "makes marvel movies pro", not wedding photographer freelancer pro.
macnuke Afar
sad even the iMac Pro is 5K to start.

instead of IcanWait.... its ImustWait.
and save the cost of the Pi.. just set the timer on your phone for what the progress bar estimate is.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

If you look at compatible PC workstations the Mac Pro is not priced out of line really. Serious workstation are very costly, no matter who you buy from.
I didn't spend a lot of time digging but I was looking at some $8,000 Dell workstations and none of them had the number of slots and specialized encoding hardware the Mac has. The new Pro is for people who bill out their hours at lawyers rates.
In that context, $10,000 ain't a lot.
jkahless Custom Title
It makes sense. Even entry level stuff is capable of putting out prosumer grade content. My stick fiddling iPad can. Professionals now need a whole different level of power from the consumer.

Also, keep in mind that some independent professionals will own and rent their gear on contract as a separate from their labour. I know camera operators will do that. Makes gear a better investment.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
jkahless posted:
It makes sense. Even entry level stuff is capable of putting out prosumer grade content. My stick fiddling iPad can. Professionals now need a whole different level of power from the consumer.

Also, keep in mind that some independent professionals will own and rent their gear on contract as a separate from their labour. I know camera operators will do that. Makes gear a better investment.

For awhile there the requirements for consumer video and professional video converged on 1080 but with the advent of much higher resolutions in pro gear the gap has widened again. The the consumer level 1080 is perfectly fine and can be gracefully edited on pretty much any recent computer hardware and even phones.
But now we have 2k, 4k and 8k coming along and with each increase there is a geometric increase in the power it takes to comfortably and profitably edit pro vids. Start adding layers, effects and other stuff and all of a sudden a 24 core Xeon starts looking like a basic need.
1080 is like 8mm film was to consumers while pros were working with dramatically more expensive 35mm gear (8k).
Photography has long stopped requiring anything more than basic hardware. Photoshop CS2 is insanely fast on my 6 year old hardware like everything happens instantly. Just as an experiment I made a 3 step action, unsharp mask, surface blur and resize to 800x600 and ran it on a folder of 100 full resolution iPhone pics and the entire operation took about 3 seconds from when I hit the go button.
dv
Pariah posted:
Just as an experiment I made a 3 step action, unsharp mask, surface blur and resize to 800x600 and ran it on a folder of 100 full resolution iPhone pics and the entire operation took about 3 seconds from when I hit the go button.

That sounds suspiciously like you're trying to prep images for web use. How 2005 of you. Wrapping the full-resolution image in a javascript object that live-resizes on the fly to fit the users browser window is the "right" way now. And only averaging 20MB per image! :goth:
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Twitler say Apple gonna announce TX factory. New Mac Pros getting 25% tariff if Chinese, sooo...he “likes and respects Tim Cook” and they can work it out.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

WWDC 2019

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8