WWDC 2019

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Online now: Warin
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Pariah posted:
Wow, 4kb savings over jpg...why, this will change everything!!!! :der:
This will make the jpg2000 revolution look like nothing happened at all.

Ok, the webp does have much better image quality at similar file size. And a max quality jpg would be significantly bigger.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

Ok, the webp does have much better image quality at similar file size. And a max quality jpg would be significantly bigger.

Time will tell. I don't really care, as long as the transition is seamless and the libs are free I am good.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
In all fairness, 4kb adds up fast these days when every single web page is littered with ads and tracking beacons.
maurvir posted:
In all fairness, 4kb adds up fast these days when every single web page is littered with ads and tracking beacons.

yeah, they need to reduce the file size of still images to hit me with an auto-playing video that's totally unrelated to the article I'm trying to read. That makes me avoid those websites and that will get them less ad revenue than my adblock.
To me, the marketing of Apple products, including the apparently informal word of mouth sales pitches by macolytes, has always been a noxious combination of consumerism and corporate devotee-ism. They will charge as much for a monitor stand as their market will bear. It's recycled aluminum; They have nothing to lose.
Ribtor posted:
To me, the marketing of Apple products, including the apparently informal word of mouth sales pitches by macolytes, has always been a noxious combination of consumerism and corporate devotee-ism. They will charge as much for a monitor stand as their market will bear.

yes, absolutely, Steve JObs said it, things are worth whatever much the buyer is willing to pay

Quote:
It's recycled aluminum; They have nothing to lose.

Don't say nonsense like that. Nothing justifies a 1000$ monitor stand, but please never say the price of a product should equal the price of the materials.
ukimalefu posted:

Don't say nonsense like that. Nothing justifies a 1000$ monitor stand, but please never say the price of a product should equal the price of the materials.

I'm not claiming any such thing.
macnuke Afar
I would really really like to see the 999 monitor sales total come fall of 2020.
Donkey Butter jerk face
If you are buying a $10,000 machine (cause you aren't going to buy the base model because if you looking at the base model this machine isn't for you) and a $5,000 display, are you really going to be put off by a $1,000 stand?

I don't think they will sell a lot of these stands but I'd guess over 50% of the displays sold will be sold right along side this $1,000 stand.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Donkey Butter posted:
If you are buying a $10,000 machine (cause you aren't going to buy the base model because if you looking at the base model this machine isn't for you) and a $5,000 display, are you really going to be put off by a $1,000 stand?

I don't think they will sell a lot of these stands but I'd guess over 50% of the displays sold will be sold right along side this $1,000 stand.

There are lots of little boutique video shops that work with Madison Ave and I can certainly imagine them wanting their workstations to look as cool and modern as possible when clients come around, easily worth $1,000.
Then there are even more well off video hobbyists who don't blink at spending $1,000 during a night out who will buy the stand as a matter of course. Apple is looking at selling these to people that don't sweat a measly $1,000 purchase.
None of us is rich enough to relate to that.
Pariah posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

There are lots of little boutique video shops that work with Madison Ave and I can certainly imagine them wanting their workstations to look as cool and modern as possible when clients come around, easily worth $1,000.
Then there are even more well off video hobbyists who don't blink at spending $1,000 during a night out who will buy the stand as a matter of course. Apple is looking at selling these to people that don't sweat a measly $1,000 purchase.

The problem is that at this point the stand has such a negative perception (and the monitors are a bit ugly too) that I wouldn't be surprised if these video shops get judged as overcharging you when you go in and see that they are wasting their money on stands.
jkahless Custom Title
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

The problem is that at this point the stand has such a negative perception (and the monitors are a bit ugly too) that I wouldn't be surprised if these video shops get judged as overcharging you when you go in and see that they are wasting their money on stands.

You’re talking an industry where individuals can charge a grand as their day rate. No ones going to even notice.
Yeah, as asinine as that stand may be to us mere mortals, to the people who will be buying these computers, they are barely a rounding error. These are not computers for the proletariat.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I guess I am the odd man out, I like the aesthetic of the new Pro stuff.
dv
Pariah posted:

Who said it didn't look cool? It's just stupid-expensive.

And no drive bays, apparently, which is pretty WTF.
obvs precoupado
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

That webp image is lossless.

Webp can do lossless OR lossy, depending on how small you want the file to get.

And like I said, every browser supports it except Safari. And it's in heavy use on tons of webpages already, including all of Google's and YouTube's pages(among others).

People write workarounds to make things work with Safari, and serve webp to any and all other browsers.
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

It's definitely a cool looking machine. As for drive bays, that's something that us proles care about. The machine has a special module for storage that probably involves a lot of high-speed SSDs.
macnuke Afar
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

It's definitely a cool looking machine. As for drive bays, that's something that us proles care about. The machine has a special module for storage that probably involves a lot of high-speed SSDs.

how else can they sell those stand price matching dongles for your external raids and whatnot?
Donkey Butter jerk face
I thought the Apple upgrade to 4T was rather meagre for a machine like this.

But Promise has you covered with some really cool internal storage solutions of the Mac Pro. (internal 32TB in RAID5)
I don’t know a single creative pro who gives a damn about internal storage. That’s for the OS and program files. It’s all about the network storage and portable drives. So that’s pretty much a non issue with a machine like this.
jkahless Custom Title
Pariah posted:

I’m a big fan. Simple, robust, powerful looking. It looks like a tool. :evil:
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, it's rectangle again.
The mac pro with the monitor and stand is very expensive, but its an investment for professionals. Now just imagine all the problems that are going to finally be solved now that they have access to all that shiny aluminum and memory that they never had before. That's what investment look likes. And because of Noblesse Oblige, we proles will see the benefits of all that unlocked creative potential. I for one look forward to the blessings which will no doubt come my way because of that shiny aluminum and a stand with a complicated hinge is in the hands of the worthy. Humanity unlocked with a turn of a latch.
dv
Ribtor posted:
The mac pro with the monitor and stand is very expensive, but its an investment for professionals. Now just imagine all the problems that are going to finally be solved now that they have access to all that shiny aluminum and memory that they never had before. That's what investment look likes. And because of Noblesse Oblige, we proles will see the benefits of all that unlocked creative potential. I for one look forward to the blessings which will no doubt come my way because of that shiny aluminum and a stand with a complicated hinge is in the hands of the worthy. Humanity unlocked with a turn of a latch.

I know you're being sarcastic, but if it's a revenue generator and tax deductible besides, it's not really as "expensive" IRL as it seems to non-pros.

Same with those ridiculously expensive pickup trucks. Tax deduct the depreciation and mileage, and the damn things pay for themselves - small wonder a <100k mile pickup costs damn near as much as a new one.
macnuke Afar
while everyone uncouth individuals about the 6K total for the apple monitor and stand combined..

uncouth individuals please.
the displays we use in radiology...

are grayscale.
no color.
smaller.

and depending on which one you get.
start at $10,000 with mammography displays closer to $20,000.

although the stands are included at those prices.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
When the Trash Can came out I dismissed it because it was a ridiculous example of form over function, more a technology demo than a tool to be used.
This new Pro is the opposite. Apple seems to have taken the complaints about the Trash Can to heart and addressed every single complaint. Expandibility and versatility to the max.
This is a professional tool in every way.
12 ram slots.
Options for massive GPU power.
8 PCIe slots.
Specialized hardware for encoding/decoding acceleration.

It's not really expensive if you compare it to other workstations. If you go to Dell and configure a system along the lines of the Mac Pro you are going to pay about the same amount.
I am far from an Apple fanboy, you all know that, but this is some good stuff and the first computer Apple has made in many, many years that really deserves the "Pro" label.
Creatives use macs.
Now they get to do real work. For twenty years we who consume the fruits of those creative professionals and artists have had to put up with their second rate product. That has all changed. Assuming they pony up for these machines. One can only hope.
macnuke Afar
Losing Nemo
now in 6K
Really, I think the mac pro is about setting a standard in luxury branding, both for Apple and those who invest in these machines as representing something that only the top of the market can attain.
Ribtor posted:
Really, I think the mac pro is about setting a standard in luxury branding, both for Apple and those who invest in these machines as representing something that only the top of the market can attain.

That runs counter to the idea that the iPhone is for everybody though.
Betonhaus posted:
Ribtor posted:

That runs counter to the idea that the iPhone is for everybody though.

:lol:
Donkey Butter jerk face
The iPhone is for everybody, everybody that can afford one that is.
Donkey Butter posted:
The iPhone is for everybody, everybody that can afford one that is.

The thing is I suspect it gets a teensy bit harder to justify one when the company tries to pass off a bloody stand as expensive art and has yet to fix it's keyboards.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Automotive companies still make new cars even though there are recalls on ones they've already made.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Betonhaus, for someone that doesn't like apple, you sure do spend a lot of time following what they are doing. You seem to be more up to date on them than most folks. That's a lot of time put into something you don't like.
Donkey Butter posted:
Betonhaus, for someone that doesn't like apple, you sure do spend a lot of time following what they are doing. You seem to be more up to date on them than most folks. That's a lot of time put into something you don't like.

He's probably like me, then. I would love to use Apple products over Android, but Apple has the stick just slightly too far up their ass to make it feasible. I actually really like MacOS compared to Windows. It's almost night and day in terms of how much I feel the user interface respects me as a user. I also like a lot of things about iOS, and I feel Google has intentionally sandbagged Android in areas where iOS shines.

I'm just not willing to give up the freedom to do things I feel my phone should be capable to make sure Apple gets their 30% cut.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

He's probably like me, then. I would love to use Apple products over Android, but Apple has the stick just slightly too far up their ass to make it feasible. I actually really like MacOS compared to Windows. It's almost night and day in terms of how much I feel the user interface respects me as a user. I also like a lot of things about iOS, and I feel Google has intentionally sandbagged Android in areas where iOS shines.

I'm just not willing to give up the freedom to do things I feel my phone should be capable to make sure Apple gets their 30% cut.

I am cool with my iPhone because I don't do all that much with my phone, messaging, the occasional phone call, maps, weather and taking pictures and that's about it. So for me the most important attribute in a phone is longevity and durability and since iPhones are built better that's what I use. My iPhone 5c does everything I want it to.
On the desktop, just about the time I had it up to my forehead with Apple's blatherskite designs Linux became mature enough to offer a "not Windows" option. I had been keeping a sharp eye on Linux for a long, long time and when it looked ready I jumped and have not looked back.
I am a good fit for Linux, I like being on a good minority platform and the culture around Linux suites me, kinda like the culture around Apple used to.
The torch has been passed, the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers have all moved on to Linux.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

WWDC 2019

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8