WWDC 2019

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot], Warin
TOS
apple pro monitor stand memes

so hot right now
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
My 32" monitor is attached to a arm, so I can do all of the stuff the gif shows as well.

The arm cost me $30.
I wonder if this will induce a reverse-halo effect? Like it shifts the general consumers perception that Apple devices are "worth the extra penny" to "overpriced", making it harder to sell a bunch of iPhones and MacBooks?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
I wonder if this will induce a reverse-halo effect? Like it shifts the general consumers perception that Apple devices are "worth the extra penny" to "overpriced", making it harder to sell a bunch of iPhones and MacBooks?

That wouldn't be a perception, that would be a fact. If this BS wakes people up to that, all the better.

At the point, the only reason to go with Apple is if your employer is paying for it. Which, at the outlandish prices these machines are going for, is almost virtually guaranteed anyway.
TOS
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?

Introductory price US$7499 (equivalent to US$11,700 in 2018)

CPU 250 MHz PowerPC 603e
L2 Cache: 256 KiB, max 1 MiB
Bus: 50 MHz
Memory RAM: 2 slots
32 MiB, max 128 MiB (2 × 64 MB)
(Memory Spec: 168-pin, 5 V,
60+ ns EDO or FPM DIMMs)
VRAM: 2 MB
Storage Hard Drive: 2 GB IDE
Floppy Drive: Apple SuperDrive
Display 12.1" Active Matrix
Graphics 800×600 or 640×480 @ up to 16-bits
ATI 3D RAGE 2 chip set
it's the TCO you fools! The TCO!
Why Apple’s Expensive Monitor Is Worth It

Quote:
You might not be considering dropping the cash for this thing, but the target customer might.

That's the first line of the article. It's not for consumers, it's for high end pro video/photography/design etc.

And at the end of the article:

Quote:
I just can’t get behind a $1,000 monitor stand.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
macnuke Afar
nothing there Duke
obvs precoupado
something there macnuke
The irony, of course, is that under the hood, below the level of instruction set architecture, pretty much everyone ended up going with a RISC-like superscalar design anyway.
macnuke Afar
obvs posted:
something there macnuke

I get the little blue ?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Apple is using Copyright claims to take down videos of the groaning, booing reaction to the $1,000 monitor stand at WWDC.

Quote:
The techno-glam-gear and services giant has demanded the removal of YouTube-hosted video excerpts of its live-streamed developer conference keynote. The offending clips captured crowd discontent – some booing and mostly gasping and groaning – on Monday over the $999 price tag of the Pro Stand for Apple's forthcoming Pro Display XDR.

One such video, titled "WWDC 2019 Pro Stand Crowd Reaction," received 895,728 views prior to its takedown on copyright infringement grounds, a move that's presumably a result of it being embedded in our coverage of the pricey monitor accessory.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/0 ... _lockdown/
macnuke Afar
so if i had the investors... i could make a similar one here in the good ol US and sell it for a little under the 999.... no tariff concerns and a made in america tag on it.

even the republican would buy it.
Pariah posted:
Apple is using Copyright claims to take down videos of the groaning, booing reaction to the $1,000 monitor stand at WWDC.

Quote:
The techno-glam-gear and services giant has demanded the removal of YouTube-hosted video excerpts of its live-streamed developer conference keynote. The offending clips captured crowd discontent – some booing and mostly gasping and groaning – on Monday over the $999 price tag of the Pro Stand for Apple's forthcoming Pro Display XDR.

One such video, titled "WWDC 2019 Pro Stand Crowd Reaction," received 895,728 views prior to its takedown on copyright infringement grounds, a move that's presumably a result of it being embedded in our coverage of the pricey monitor accessory.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/0 ... _lockdown/

looks bad

it IS bad

but

They always put the keynote video on youtube, they do own that video. But the embarrassing moment won't go away. I've read about it in a few websites. LOTS of people saw it live. It's not a secret.

BUT

I wonder if they'll edit that part out of the video when they publish it. If they do, the internet will notice and let the world know. And that would be REALLY bad.
macnuke Afar
they can have fun with copyright.... but in case your feeble minds forget... the internet never forgets.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am slow, it finally dawned on me that the new, fancy pants Monitor does not come with any stand at all. Criminy....

I was looking at some pics of that stand and realised that it is not height adjustable beyond the small amount built into the lever. Even at it's lowest possible position that stand hold a monitor is way higher than I would want.
I have my main monitor positioned so the bottom of the screen is about 3 inches above my desk, ergonomically that works best for me.
macnuke Afar
that can be fixed... this new iChair is here to help you sit more ergonomically so not only are you more comfortable, but your productivity will increase.

please enclose $9,999.00 for said iChair.
obvs precoupado
macnuke posted:
obvs posted:
something there macnuke

I get the little blue ?
Apple is the only browser manufacturer to not support webp images.

Google does.
Microsoft does.
Opera does.
Mozilla does.
some popular websites don't, so whenever I find one, I have to convert it to jpg first

I'm not a fan of webp
obvs precoupado
You don't like high-quality images?
dv
obvs posted:

PNG is fine. If we stopped packing every web page with eleventy-four MBs of Javascript from 87 different tracking/advertising companies, we wouldn't need to shrink image data another 20%.
dv posted:
obvs posted:

PNG is fine. If we stopped packing every web page with eleventy-four MBs of Javascript from 87 different tracking/advertising companies, we wouldn't need to shrink image data another 20%.

jpg is fine
obvs precoupado
Webp has better compression than JPG, better picture quality than PNG, and can be animated like GiF.
dv
obvs posted:
Webp has better compression than JPG, better picture quality than PNG, and can be animated like GiF.

Both are lossless.

Also, Google invented it.
obvs posted:

I have a potato computer with a 1366 x 768 monitor. I can't tell the difference.

And the problem is many websites won't take webp!
oh, and one more thing, beta was better than vhs

:p
obvs precoupado
I've never seen a beta.

My family could barely afford a VHS in the 1990s.
obvs precoupado
Okay, just this once, I patched your browser.

On this site and this site alone, Safari can load webp images, because the fact that it can't is bloody stupid.
dv
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Looks like I have all the Webp libs onboard already so presumably all my FOSS image editing tools can work with Webp.
I love Mint, by the time I learn something even exists the Mint devs have already pushed it out to me.

Wait..what? Why would Safari not support Webp if OSX has the libs?
Pariah posted:
Looks like I have all the Webp libs onboard already so presumably all my FOSS image editing tools can work with Webp.
I love Mint, by the time I learn something even exists the Mint devs have already pushed it out to me.

Wait..what? Why would Safari not support Webp if OSX has the libs?

Because Apple has the focus of a laser pointer
DukeofNuke posted:

webp: 49k

OK, that's insanely small file size. I didn't know that. Google needs to make images very small to fill your bandwidth with ads.

Now

png: 315 kb

and

jpg: 53k, 65/100 quality

-
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
An argument supporting Apples monitor stand:
https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-m ... hHMerEKUgA

Business Insider thinks we're stupid.
dv posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
An argument supporting Apples monitor stand:
https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-m ... hHMerEKUgA

Business Insider thinks we're stupid.

No. The way I see it, it doesn't so much defend the thousand dollars stand, as it says apple failed at selling it. Their idea is good, they could have said "6000$ monitor, don't want the stand? 1000$ off, great savings!"

I understand supply and demand, Apple knows they'll sell very little of those, maybe like 3 or 4. It may be the best monitor stand ever, but 1000$ ? no thanks. And by 'no thanks' I mean HA!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

webp: 49k

OK, that's insanely small file size. I didn't know that. Google needs to make images very small to fill your bandwidth with ads.

Now

png: 315 kb

and

jpg: 53k, 65/100 quality

-

Wow, 4kb savings over jpg...why, this will change everything!!!! :der:
This will make the jpg2000 revolution look like nothing happened at all.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

WWDC 2019

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8