WWDC 2019

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The new Apple car is here!

It's actually gold. I made it black and white.

last one... ?
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
How long until the cheese grater joke is played out?
probably as long as the trash can joke
macnuke posted:
the feet will make sliding it in and out of semi enclosed spaces even easier than the version 1 cheese handles did.

it's got WHEELS

macnuke Afar
it needs donks
Could they make it look more like a cheesegrater? It seems almost intentional.
user Stupid cockwomble
the grater was rather popular - going back to what worked with a bit of change
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Futurd ... ved/ZgRV7P

This is as close of an approximation as I care enough to attempt.
kamizuno Lasercat targeting.....
$999 for a monitor stand? :0
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Yeah, that's pretty ludicrous.
macnuke Afar
obvs posted:
Yeah, that's pretty Image.

fixed that for you :D
macnuke posted:
obvs posted:
Yeah, that's pretty Image.

fixed that for you :D

I'm curious to see if they devised a special tool for milling all of those spherical cavities, because they look a little over engineered and a machinist it looks like it would be time consuming to diddle about with little spherical endmills.

A lot of effort for something that tbh looks like human waste. Or at least an antithesis to Apple's clean minimalism design philosophy. It looks downright nasty on the back of those monitors.
I'm waiting for hands on reviews that compare the monitor to similarly priced competitors and the $40k reference monitors it supposedly competes with. Even if it does and it uses a special trick and reference monitors weren't inflated to 10x the cost to make, the next Gen of monitors will be competitive in price and capability methinks.
jkahless Custom Title
Betonhaus posted:
I'm curious to see if they devised a special tool for milling all of those spherical cavities, because they look a little over engineered and a machinist it looks like it would be time consuming to diddle about with little spherical endmills.

A lot of effort for something that tbh looks like human waste. Or at least an antithesis to Apple's clean minimalism design philosophy. It looks downright nasty on the back of those monitors.

Nah. Multi spindle CNC machine. We’re decades past machining that by hand.

Personally I think it’s gorgeous, but I’ve also seen gorgeous oil tankers and frying pans. In a professional tool, form following function is beauty.
jkahless posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Personally I think it’s gorgeous, but I’ve also seen gorgeous oil tankers and frying pans. In a professional tool, form following function is beauty.

A multi spindle CNC machine is still going to diddle around with a ballmill to get all of those inside surface. I can play around with mastercam a bit when i get back to my idle project thursday but I'd expect it to still take a long time to mass produce thses things
YES IT IS EXPENSIVE

So I'm posting this just to see someone hate it

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/4/18651 ... l-computer

Be warned: You could say a fanboy wrote that article, but it does explain things.

I don't believe you can have an exact, 1 to 1, comparable PC. Something close enough? arguably. Although I do agree that having 2 or 3 "close enough" could be preferable, for work stuff.

Same with monitors. You'll get "close enough" at best. Maybe.

-

Why does this happen every year? OMG! Too expensive! So don't buy one. I wouldn't. For the same reason I wouldn't buy a Ferrari.
And now o hate the monitor stand

https://gizmodo.com/how-ridiculous-is-a ... 1835237372

Don't worry, this one doesn't really try to justify the price.
Found you a stand, 26$

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Free-St ... 82&sr=8-28

But you'll still need the 200$ VESA mount
user Stupid cockwomble
an articulated arm is great. I have monitors sitting on top of reams of copy paper to adjust the height.
3rd of the price? better? same?

user posted:
an articulated arm is great. I have monitors sitting on top of reams of copy paper to adjust the height.

obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
user posted:
I have a ~$100 Freedom Arm.

It can go in any direction, in any orientation.

The drawer that can sit over the tucked away keyboard is the cat's ass. Picked it out of garbage on my way to work. It has a shiny front with holes. That's design.
I noticed the calculator
ukimalefu posted:
I noticed the calculator

Can't trust a Pentium with math!
jkahless Custom Title
Betonhaus posted:
jkahless posted:
Betonhaus posted:

A multi spindle CNC machine is still going to diddle around with a ballmill to get all of those inside surface. I can play around with mastercam a bit when i get back to my idle project thursday but I'd expect it to still take a long time to mass produce thses things

I’m also 100% sure from the pictures I’ve seen and descriptions I’ve heard that there’s no recessed surfaces, it’s just half spheres machined into the front and back of the surface. I remember seeing patent drawings of this from apple years back. Seems a good way to get an evenly turbulent airflow.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
jkahless posted:
Betonhaus posted:

It's probably stamped.
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
jkahless posted:
Betonhaus posted:

It's probably stamped.

And how do you stamp a hollow sphere into solid aluminum?
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
jkahless posted:
Betonhaus posted:

It's probably stamped.

A steel stamp.

It's not solid aluminum, it's a sheet - look at the photo j_tso posted. You can see the backside of the rightmost hemispheres through the ones to their left. It's thin material.

Machining that would be fine for prototyping, but would result in either a lot of wasted mass, or a lot of wasted material, neither of which is optimal for mass production.
jkahless Custom Title
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
jkahless posted:
Betonhaus posted:

It's probably stamped.

A steel stamp.

It's not solid aluminum, it's a sheet - look at the photo j_tso posted. You can see the backside of the rightmost hemispheres through the ones to their left. It's thin material.

Machining that would be fine for prototyping, but would result in either a lot of wasted mass, or a lot of wasted material, neither of which is optimal for mass production.

Nah. Definitely aluminium plate, ‘bout half an inch thick. The hemispheres are offset on the other side by one radius vertically and horizontally so three hemispheres on one side of the plane intersect with one hemisphere on the other side of the plane.

It’s pretty.

A lot of swarf, but easily recycled.
jkahless Custom Title
I expect it’s made out of the same stock they machine the top panel out of, looks too thick compared to the bottom panel of the bare chassis.
jkahless posted:
I expect it’s made out of the same stock they machine the top panel out of, looks too thick compared to the bottom panel of the bare chassis.

The thick part you mean, is part of the frame, and not part of the removable housing.

jkahless Custom Title
The same stock means the same source material, as in 55 lb card stock.

Apparently apple makes their own aluminium supply from recycled material.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/30/app ... num-cases/
jkahless posted:

uhm... ok?

they could use different sheets of metal for different parts, I don't see why not
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:
jkahless posted:

uhm... ok?

they could use different sheets of metal for different parts, I don't see why not

You can, but only if you have a good reason. KISS

I’m thinking they probably sinter the front panel with the curves already in place, then machine the hemispheres.

https://youtu.be/Amz9IrZRmPc

You could rough in the hemispheres during the sintering process, but sintering doesn’t have high enough tolerances, and since you’re already directly recycling the swarf the added complication wouldn’t be worth it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
And now o hate the monitor stand

https://gizmodo.com/how-ridiculous-is-a ... 1835237372

Don't worry, this one doesn't really try to justify the price.

LOL, the stand on my HP monitor does all that, it will swivel, too.
macnuke Afar
Pariah Know Your Enemy
low:

High:

Portrait:

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

WWDC 2019

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8