Can I generate app crash reports on my phone?

Online now: Warin
Bren Everything went to hell after Empire.
Here's the deal: I've sort of been advising somebody who's in the process of launching a new app and service.

His app keeps crashing on my Android phone. He lives in another country, so it's not like he can physically get a hold of my phone and learn what's happening.

But it occurred to me that, in the past, when I've had Weird Mac or Windows problems, y'all have sometimes had me look at logs viewable in Activity Monitor, or printable in Terminal, or whatever.

Surely my Android phone must have similar internal logs going on, yes?

If so, is there a way I can see those logs and send them to my friend and his dev team?

I Googled this, and found Web pages talking about developer tools which would provide such info, but I'm not a developer, and I'm hoping to avoid having to set up developer tools on my Mac and connect it to my phone, 'cause that just seems like a big hassle, and something that would involve a lot of learning on my part.

Is there an app I can install on the phone, or one already on it, which might yield the logs I'm looking for?

This is under Android 8.0.0 on a Samsung Galaxy S7, by the way.
I think you'd have to root or put it into developer mode?

Does Linux and Linux derivatives even have an equivalent to Event Viewer?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
System Log. syslog.

Does this look like what is needed?

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Android isn't even close to being a normal Linux installation, particularly because root can't be assumed. If you have root access on your device, it works pretty much like any other Linux system, though.

The real answer is to get a copy of the Android SDK, which will allow you to debug apps on your device. Unfortunately, without root, there doesn't seem to be a way for an on-device app to read the logs of another app, though they can read system logs (usually)
Bren Everything went to hell after Empire.
Does this mean I need to install Android SDK on my Mac and then do...

What, exactly?

Hmmmm.....
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Can I generate app crash reports on my phone?