The end of Nest

Online now: Bing (sucks), DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], maurvir, Metacell
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

This, kids, is why you NEVER, EVER trust Google with critical infrastructure. You want a smart home, do it the old fashioned way with people who consider automation their bread and butter.
dv
If you want home automation, learn to program an Arduino and wire up a relay yourself.
dv posted:
If you want home automation, learn to program an Arduino and wire up a relay yourself.

I can't tell if you're joking or simply not factoring in the work involved to make alternatives to the entire ecosystem of smart home components.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or simply not factoring in the work involved to make alternatives to the entire ecosystem of smart home components.

https://www.crestron.com/

Please note, the prices are going to be a couple orders of magnitude larger, but it will work reliably for years and not snitch on you every few seconds.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

Probably one part hyperbole, one part underestimating how hard it is for somebody else because I already know how to do it.
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

Probably one part hyperbole, one part underestimating how hard it is for somebody else because I already know how to do it.

Thermostat, door lock, lights, plug ins, speakers, music, blinds, etc? The hardware alone would be more expensive in a home brew situation.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

Thermostat, door lock, lights, plug ins, speakers, music, blinds, etc? The hardware alone would be more expensive in a home brew situation.

Yeah... I didn't say it would be cheaper, I only implied that a DIY device will be "supported" by the manufacturer for as long as you choose to support it, instead of being remotely killed by the manufacturer when the Cloud services that it depends on disappear.

The other advantage is that you know exactly what data you are sharing with Google. Which is, to say, none.
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

Yeah... I didn't say it would be cheaper, I only implied that a DIY device will be "supported" by the manufacturer for as long as you choose to support it, instead of being remotely killed by the manufacturer when the Cloud services that it depends on disappear.

The other advantage is that you know exactly what data you are sharing with Google. Which is, to say, none.

a DIY solution also relies on you being your own tech support. If a third party block of code or a bit of hardware you rely on breaks and the maker isn't around anymore, you may end up finding that keeping your system going becomes a lot more difficult then you originally thought. And gu4ests may have extreme difficulty figuring out your home brewed system, which will need to be removed if you sold your house.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

a DIY solution also relies on you being your own tech support.

Already am. What's different?

Quote:
If a third party block of code or a bit of hardware you rely on breaks and the maker isn't around anymore, you may end up finding that keeping your system going becomes a lot more difficult then you originally thought.

That's not as big a deal as you might think. Also, third party code dependencies are kind of... not very DIY-ey.

Quote:
And gu4ests may have extreme difficulty figuring out your home brewed system, which will need to be removed if you sold your house.

Guest access and use is something you'd have to design in from the beginning - if you cared to. So is ease of removal. This is an issue with commercial smart appliances too.
TOS
who cares? it's basically just an administrative change
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The end of Nest