The iPhone challenge

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I decided to try out the old 6S Plus today as my only phone since I went to the trouble of having it repaired. It was... interesting.

First off, I had to call AT&T and get my SIM reprovisioned as an "iPhone" card, since the previous provisioning meant several features were disabled (most importantly, the hotspot/router). Interestingly, when I put the SIM back in my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, it worked just fine with the iPhone provisioning. It appears I can leave the SIM as an "Apple" SIM without it affecting my Android device.

Second, the call quality wasn't as good as the S7 Edge. The speakerphone worked fine, but the earpiece speaker didn't. I felt like voices were kind of flat and tinny. I considered that perhaps the speaker had been damaged in the repair, but my wife assured me it sounded no different than it had before. So... yeah, my S7 Edge definitely has an edge in voice call quality.

Third, I couldn't find a single web browser that didn't have issues. Safari was OK, but I had forgotten how stupid nutty the ad situation was on an unfiltered connection. I think I was about three pages in before I got a full screen scam ad that my phone might be infected by something. ::sigh:: Dolphin blocked the ads, but it also failed to respond to touching links half the time. Firefox for iOS solved that problem, but then I was back into ad hell.

Fourth, the hotspot acted weird. I did get it up and running, and attached a PC to it, but certain sites just refused to load - even if they would ordinarily load on the phone itself. Including, ironically, Macstack.net. My tethered PC could not find this site even as I was browsing it from Dolphin on the phone. Weird.

Now, that said, the phone feels vastly smoother under iOS 12.2 than Oreo does on my S7 Edge. Like night and day smoother. I was impressed by how well the launcher reacted, how fast it unlocked, etc. Apps opened nearly instantly. It was very pleasant to use outside of the aforementioned issues.

I also got WiFi calling on AT&T, something that has never worked properly on my S7 Edge. I didn't try to use it, but I thought that was pretty snazzy. Unfortunately, the AT&T app refused to load on the iPhone beyond the first page. That wasn't so cool.

Battery life was also good. I had just replaced it last year with the cheap battery upgrade program, so that isn't too surprising. Still, it held up very nicely all day. That was a pleasant surprise.

All in all, I'm probably going back to my S7 Edge. I'm used to it, tethering works properly, and the VPN ad blocker works properly everywhere. However, the iPhone wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be.
The other side is never bad, the question is always if it's worth it to transition to and adapt to the tradeoffs.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
The other side is never bad, the question is always if it's worth it to transition to and adapt to the tradeoffs.

Yeah, that was the whole point of doing the challenge. iOS massively outperforms Android on similar hardware (the 6S Plus is the same generation as the S7 Edge), but I know how to make Android work the way I want it to. I could probably get iOS to do most of the things I prefer, but not without shelling out quite a bit on apps, and some things are total no-gos thanks to Apple's walled garden.

I've already replaced the SIM in my S7 Edge, but I'm going to hold onto this 6S Plus. If for any other reason than to have a Facetime client I can use with family.
I've never seen the tethering issue, but I'm a lot more inclined to blame AT&T than the phone.

Regarding browsers and ads, you can install an ad-blocker for Safari, no problem. Personally I use Purify, but I haven't looked to see if there's something better in a really long time, and I have no idea if Purify is still available or in development.

I've never found a service that works as well as FaceTime, whether for video or audio. The call quality of a FaceTime audio call destroys everything else I've ever tried (Skype, Line, WhatsApp, Viber, Google Hangouts, Messenger, and a plain cell phone call on both US and Taiwanese carriers).
I am going to rock my SE until my SE don't rock no more.
gd Hero of Twilight
I use Adguard to block ads on Safari. It’s free and it works well without slowing down the phone at all. It is worth a try.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The iPhone challenge