Linux in trouble

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks), Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], iDaemon
juice Inadvertently correct
If that’s true, then why am I still waiting for a stick fiddling Mac Pro?
macnuke Afar
same reason I am... the sand got in their eyes with that stick fiddling trash can thinking that was the new "cube"
and the Hackintosh community is getting large enough to where hopefully they are starting to look around with their pro machine.
the iMac pro was a screwup.
i haven't checked. can Apple even repair them yet?
maurvir Meat popsicle
That would be fine if they would actually build modern Mac's.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
It does raise the question, what exactly is J. Ive even doing at Apple? Their product line does not change enough to create a full time designers job.
A design aesthetic only needs to be illusory to work as a marketing tool.
I'm sure he can sit motionless, staring into space at a conference table in a quiet room and let drool drain from his half open mouth, and still be worth his salary.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Pariah posted:
It does raise the question, what exactly is J. Ive even doing at Apple? Their product line does not change enough to create a full time designers job.

He's in charge of the design of EVERYTHING at Apple

https://www.apple.com/leadership/jonathan-ive/
macnuke posted:
same reason I am... the sand got in their eyes with that stick fiddling trash can thinking that was the new "cube"
and the Hackintosh community is getting large enough to where hopefully they are starting to look around with their pro machine.

What is a "pro" computer?

How is Apple currently holding back the professional user? Are pros failing to accomplish tasks or losing out to competitors because Apple has not kept up with demand?

Last edited by Ribtor on Sun May 05, 2019 6:37 pm.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

He's in charge of the design of EVERYTHING at Apple

https://www.apple.com/leadership/jonathan-ive/

Like I said before, how is that a full time job?
Apple has been coasting for the most part for 15 years now. Small iterative changes interrupted by the occasional blunder (Trash Can and KBs).
iphone hardware has been the same and what makes iPhone out perform Android is software optimization and I don't think Ive is writing any low level code.
macnuke Afar
Ribtor posted:
macnuke posted:

What is a "pro" computer?

How is Apple currently holding back the professional user? Are pros failing to accomplish tasks or losing out to competitors because Apple has not kept up with demand?

if the "pros" think they "must have apple" .... then they just do it a little slower. those staying current and want blistering speed use a Win box.
then again, my daughter is classified as a "Pro" and does just fine on her MacBook (not pro). so the word is a marketing word. i am waiting for the iPro.... but that word has been taken by a real estate firm.. makes sense yes?
user Stupid cockwomble
I use a 27" iMac (not a pro) just fine at my job as a prepress artist. I have three monitors and it adroitly handles tasks that choke the i7 PCs the other artists are using.
According to Linus Tech Tips Linux is as good or better for games than Windows.

Marketing the toy-playing aspect could well bring Linux out of the fringe.
dv
Unless you're Doing It Wrong™, modern machines are well past the point where pretty much any CPU/SSD combo with enough RAM is good enough for anything but heavy 3D work (So, photoshop, prepress, most audio/video editing, etc.).

Yes. Even if there are laptop parts or you can't upgrade the CPU. Don't confuse PCs built for gaming with PCs built for productivity. Pros don't overclock, and they don't swap out their video cards every six months. If it works and makes you money, you don't fiddlesticks with it.

A lot of things that used to be on dedicated PCI devices (necessitating the expandable towers) are either USB devices or software-based now. Physical formats gave way to digital formats, and this became this.

Also, companies realized that even if there was a productivity impact from using laptops, it was made up for by the extra hours that people put in when you give them a laptop and mobile email. Not to mention the extra productivity from working-at-home.
dv
Ribtor posted:

Linus Tech Tips is a dumbass then.
macnuke Afar
amazing what FreeDOS can handle
Ribtor posted:

That’s a slight exaggeration of what was said. It is as good or better for games that are supported, but there are not nearly as many titles supported by Linux.
Windows runs Docker and has a Linux kernel now so there.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Linux in trouble

Page: 1, 2