Setting up VirtualBox.

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot]
Pariah Know Your Enemy
My brother inlaw gave me a Windows7 installer and I want to run it in VirtualBox.
I checked my BIOS and I have virtualization technologies enabled.
Should I use the older version of VB available in my repo, 5.1.38 or use the 6.0.4 deb that Oracle provides for the latest stable build?
Any tips, I have never done this before so explain it to me like I am 5.
dv
I would use the latest deb that you can find. 5.1.x is way old.

VirtualBox is a "Type 2" hypervisor - it is able to work completely in software and does not require hardware virtualization features. (Although it can make some use of them where it's supported.) So you don't need to worry about your BIOS.

Storage I/O performance is particularly bad in VirtualBox, but it's a bit easier to get networking configured than it is with KVM. I use KVM at home.

Walkthroughs for either (with screenshots) are easy to find. Here's one for VirtualBox from Oracle.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26217_01/E2 ... te-vm.html
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Would it be better just to dual boot? If I am going to be using Photoshop it will be for extended periods and no need to switch back and forth.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Honestly? Probably. Photoshop may run in VirtualBox, but it probably won't like it, and I can guarantee it will run like a slug on all but a desk supercomputer. VmWare would stand a far better chance of running at anything approaching "bare metal" speeds, but I'm not sure how that works with Linux.
dv
Pariah posted:
Would it be better just to dual boot? If I am going to be using Photoshop it will be for extended periods and no need to switch back and forth.

Better, yes.

But mostly, KVM will address the performance issues. (Instead of Virtual box.) Look up virt-man and how to install that.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I setup a dual boot for now, seems the simplest way to go but...OMG..I am having a hell of a time getting my networking working. Win7 lacks drivers for my built in Ethernet and I downloaded what seems to be the right drivers from dell but Windows does not like them.
Does MS offer combo updaters you can download? Maybe that would work.
Is this 32 bit or 64 bit? Windows 7 never seems to have networking drivers which is a bloody catch-22. I'd poke around some more to make sure you have the correct driver, then I'd problably give up and start googling for an all in one driver installer like this one https://www.drivethelife.com/free-netwo ... stall.html
dv
That website seems sketch.

Windows has service packs (and convenience rollups) - the latest one for Win7 is the 2016 Convenience Pack. So I'd download those and make sure you're completely patched up before proceeding.

https://www.lifewire.com/latest-windows ... es-2624595

(Page links to Microsoft's download site.)

PM your service tag and I can find the correct driver on Dell's website. Failing that, if you can figure out from the Linux side the exact model of NIC you have, you could download reference drivers from Intel/Realtek/etc.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I found the driver on softpedia of all places, networking is up. Down loaded it in Mint, put on thumb drive.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Setting up VirtualBox.