Once again, THIS is why you unplug smart TVs from the net

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot]
maurvir Meat popsicle

Yes, that's right. This soon to be full page of ads will be patched into existing sets AFTER purchase.
dv
That's some leveraging synergies, right there.
user Stupid cockwomble
From the comments: Pi Hole? mmmmmm.....
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
user posted:
From the comments: Pi Hole? mmmmmm.....

https://pi-hole.net/
Donkey Butter jerk face
I have a sony tv and never see the home screen since I use my Tv to serve up the content. So they can serve up all the adds they want, I'll never see them. (also when I first set up my tv I spend an hour or more going through the menus and shutting everything down.) Of course we all know that when google give you the option to turn off tracking they just keep on tracking.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Still, there should be a law passed that advertisers have to pay us for the bandwidth of our service that they use. Because it's not broadcast.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Metacell posted:
Still, there should be a law passed that advertisers have to pay us for the bandwidth of our service that they use. Because it's not broadcast.

I'd settle for a law that says you can't add this sort of crap to an already purchased television without the consent of its owner, and be required to warn customers before purchase that it exists.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
maurvir posted:
Metacell posted:

I'd settle for a law that says you can't add this sort of crap to an already purchased television without the consent of its owner, and be required to warn customers before purchase that it exists.

AND those TVs should be super cheap.
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu posted:
... AND those TVs should be free.

Fixed that for you.

If you are going to serve up advertising on it, don't expect me to pay for it. If I purchased a smart TV (I wouldn't, because of wankery like this) that made NO mention of advertising, and suddenly ads appeared, the manufacturer would be buying that TV back from me.
macnuke Afar
smart TV with forced adverts on you? not very smart.
dv
maurvir posted:
Metacell posted:

I'm sure that consent is already buried in the EULA that nobody read.
macnuke Afar
you want your TV dumbed down....

but you give your phone apps permission to pinpoint your location, read, write, browse and delete stuff on your phone.... and that's OK. :up: gotcha
maurvir Meat popsicle
macnuke posted:

but you give your phone apps permission to pinpoint your location, read, write, browse and delete stuff on your phone.... and that's OK. :up: gotcha

I run a VPN firewall on my phone.
dv
macnuke posted:

No... no I don't.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
dv posted:
macnuke posted:

No... no I don't.

Even if I did it's a faulty comparison. My phone is a computer in my pocket that happens to be able to make calls. My TV is a TV.
macnuke Afar
C. Ives posted:
dv posted:
macnuke posted:

No... no I don't.

Even if I did it's a faulty comparison. My phone is a computer in my pocket that happens to be able to make calls. My TV is a TV.

your smart TV is a computer that lacks the phone app.
your phone has the app.. it's just portable is all.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
macnuke posted:
C. Ives posted:
dv posted:
macnuke posted:

No... no I don't.

Except . . .
macnuke posted:

Man I might just get a computer monitor for my next TV; would have to do some research on tuners for the over the air stuff (yeah I ain't paying for 500 stick fiddling channels.)

But then again, right now I am just fine with the 32" non-smart Sony.
macnuke Afar
C. Ives posted:
macnuke posted:
C. Ives posted:
dv posted:
macnuke posted:

No... no I don't.

Except . . .
macnuke posted:

my smart TV is controlled by a device external to it. so it's basically the monitor part of the TV is all I use. so yeah.. it's dumbed down.
user Stupid cockwomble
getting a tv for its smart/wifi features is not a good idea because the manufacturers tend to rapidly drop support for those features - no upgrades

an external streaming device is far superior
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user posted:
getting a tv for its smart/wifi features is not a good idea because the manufacturers tend to rapidly drop support for those features - no upgrades

an external streaming device is far superior

and there are a hundred useless apps on the smart tv that want you to sign in and subscribe.
And you can't add or delete apps. You're just left hanging.
And not just smart tvs, but other devices, like disk players, too.
So, you buy a Roku or AppleTV so you can download apps, basically just to get HBO and Prime, and now you've got one device that you can use, but five that have Netflix, Hulu, pandora, I-heart-radio, and a plethora of apps that you will NEVER use.

Can a TV screen be paired with a smartphone display so that when you swipe on the phone it swipes the TV screen? That would be a thing.
dv
Ribtor posted:
Can a TV screen be paired with a smartphone display so that when you swipe on the phone it swipes the TV screen? That would be a thing.

I also saw that meme the other day.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:

"Screen Mirroring"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeOWaQCtrpw
macnuke Afar
mirror is what we do at the hunting camp. killed the dish... too far for cable.. but a nice 4g let tower that gives 4 bars.
so it's phone to tv out there now.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
One way to look at it is that all the crap they put on smart TVs subsidizes the price on the backs of n00bs and non-techies while those of us informed enough not to use the smart features get a monitor for less to hook to our choice of devices.
Kinda like how a PC loaded with crapware is cheaper.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I bought a big-screen smart tv when I could have saved money getting the same size monitor; but I had this nagging doubt about future use and limiting myself to not being able to use an antenna should the need arise.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Pariah posted:
One way to look at it is that all the crap they put on smart TVs subsidizes the price on the backs of n00bs and non-techies while those of us informed enough not to use the smart features get a monitor for less to hook to our choice of devices.
Kinda like how a PC loaded with crapware is cheaper.

True, sorta. I use a 32" Vizio TV as my Hack's monitor. It does not handle loss of signal the way a true monitor would and go into a power saving mode. Instead, it warns you for about 5 minutes then powers all the way off. The only way to recover is to turn it back on with the remote or power button. You can turn this timer off, but then the display just sits there displaying an error message the whole time.

Ironically, if you send it an audio feed without video over HDMI, it will correctly turn the backlight off after a moment or two. I like to use those "black screen" ambient sound videos, and the TV usually picks up on the lack of video and turns off the display leaving only the speakers on.

That exception aside, however, it makes a very nice display for the money.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Once again, THIS is why you unplug smart TVs from the net