Google’s constant product shutdowns are damaging its brand

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04 ... its-brand/

Quote:
We are 91 days into the year, and so far, Google is racking up an unprecedented body count. If we just take the official shutdown dates that have already occurred in 2019, a Google-branded product, feature, or service has died, on average, about every nine days.

Some of these product shutdowns have transition plans, and some of them (like Google+) represent Google completely abandoning a user base. The specifics aren't crucial, though. What matters is that every single one of these actions has a negative consequence for Google's brand, and the near-constant stream of shutdown announcements makes Google seem more unstable and untrustworthy than it has ever been. Yes, there was the one time Google killed Google Wave nine years ago or when it took Google Reader away six years ago, but things were never this bad.

For a while there has been a subset of people concerned about Google's privacy and antitrust issues, but now Google is eroding trust that its existing customers have in the company. That's a huge problem. Google has significantly harmed its brand over the last few months, and I'm not even sure the company realizes it.

File this one under "No human waste, Sherlock"

I know I wouldn't trust Google with any critical infrastructure. I made the mistake of getting used to Chromecast Audio (and thankfully it still works for now), but beyond that, I always try to assume that every day may be the last for a Google product.
gd Hero of Twilight
I keep expecting them to shut down gmail. Any day now.
TOS
maurvir posted:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04 ... its-brand/

Quote:
We are 91 days into the year, and so far, Google is racking up an unprecedented body count. If we just take the official shutdown dates that have already occurred in 2019, a Google-branded product, feature, or service has died, on average, about every nine days.

Some of these product shutdowns have transition plans, and some of them (like Google+) represent Google completely abandoning a user base. The specifics aren't crucial, though. What matters is that every single one of these actions has a negative consequence for Google's brand, and the near-constant stream of shutdown announcements makes Google seem more unstable and untrustworthy than it has ever been. Yes, there was the one time Google killed Google Wave nine years ago or when it took Google Reader away six years ago, but things were never this bad.

For a while there has been a subset of people concerned about Google's privacy and antitrust issues, but now Google is eroding trust that its existing customers have in the company. That's a huge problem. Google has significantly harmed its brand over the last few months, and I'm not even sure the company realizes it.

File this one under "No human waste, Sherlock"

I know I wouldn't trust Google with any critical infrastructure. I made the mistake of getting used to Chromecast Audio (and thankfully it still works for now), but beyond that, I always try to assume that every day may be the last for a Google product.

what a stupid article

google has always started up then shut down apps and services, it's normal operating procedure for them

as for google+, give me a break, they've been openly saying it was finished for ages
Pariah Know Your Enemy
In another bit of brand damage, Google finally admits that they have been lying all along about what happens when people turn off location services and location history.
Quote:
"It's not of monetary value to you?" an incredulous Hawley asked.

"There is some ways that location can be used for ads, so, for instance, your IP addresss—"

Hawley again interrupted: "I thought you just said it wasn't used for ads."

"I understand that it's complicated," DeVries said.

Hawley said that it's not all that complicated. "I think when somebody turns off their user information, their location history, they expect the location tracking to be off. But it's not, in fact. They don't have a way, apparently, to turn it off."

"Senator, you can turn off location tracking. There are aspects of location that are necessary to make services work, where if we turn those off your phone wouldnt work the way you expect," DeVries said, reiterating that it was "complicated."

"It's not complicated," Hawley insisted. "What's complicated is that you don't allow consumers to stop your tracking of them. You tell them that you do. You would anticipate that they do — that the consumer would have a reasonable expectation based on what you've told them, that they're not being tracked — but in fact, you're still tracking them. You're still gathering the information and you're still using it."

https://pjmedia.com/trending/google-tra ... ketUrc6vS4
obvs precoupado
People throw scads of money at Google despite their practices. More money than god and jesus put together. What is Google doing wrong? What is it people expect from Google?
Ribtor posted:
People throw scads of money at Google despite their practices. More money than god and jesus put together. What is Google doing wrong? What is it people expect from Google?

Stop pretending to be a consumer electronics company?

Seriously, they do really well in their core competencies: Search, ad delivery, and even Android (which is directly related to the first two). Even Google's web-based productivity apps and Chrome are doing fine (because they are directly related to the first two)

Beyond that, and you kind of have to expect that it will be half-assed and short lived. Not exactly the sort of thing you want to hang your hat on.
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:

Seriously, they do really well in their core competencies: Search, ad delivery, and even Android (which is directly related to the first two). Even Google's web-based productivity apps and Chrome are doing fine (because they are directly related to the first two)

Beyond that, and you kind of have to expect that it will be half-assed and short lived. Not exactly the sort of thing you want to hang your hat on.

"dear Google, make better products and then maybe you'll be a better company because you owe everyone that"
Ribtor posted:
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:

"dear Google, make better products and then maybe you'll be a better company because you owe everyone that"

This wasn't about them owing anyone anything. It's not like I'm emotionally distraught because Google has their head up their asses half the time. Instead, it was about noting the fact that no one really trusts Google to back up their products.
I was thinking more of what the editorial writer was getting at.

Often these writers are vested in their subject and their articles may be driven by PR or their own biases.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
iDaemon infinitely loopy
I mean do you want innovation or not?

Some experiments fail.
iGoogle and Google Reader were good, just they couldn't cram ads down your throat as much.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Betonhaus posted:
iGoogle and Google Reader were good, just they couldn't cram ads down your throat as much.

I used google reader, and google notifier. Both were shut down.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Google’s constant product shutdowns are damaging its brand