Apple apologizes for butterfly keyboards... again

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot]
maurvir Meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03 ... yet-again/

Quote:
Apple has again acknowledged failures in MacBook butterfly keyboards and apologized. The apology was included in a Wall Street Journal report by prominent tech journalist Joanna Stern pointing out that, like some others, she encountered a keyboard failure in her 2018 MacBook Air.

Stern published the following statement sent to her by an Apple spokesperson:

We are aware that a small number of users are having issues with their third-generation butterfly keyboard and for that we are sorry. The vast majority of Mac notebook customers are having a positive experience with the new keyboard.

The spokesperson also advised users to contact Apple customer support if they had a problem with the keyboards, Stern wrote.

At this point, I think it's safe to say that AppleCare should be included in the price of every machine, since it's clear it's no longer optional.

Quote:
I'm among those users who have been affected by butterfly keyboard failures, albeit in an earlier iteration: my 2016 MacBook Pro's keyboard failed after about 18 months. Apple replaced it with the second-generation keyboard used in the 2017 MacBook Pro, and I haven't had any problems since. I didn't have to pay for the repair because I had AppleCare—an expanded warranty program that offers free repairs for most hardware failures for three years—but the receipt Apple gave me stated that it would have cost more than $700 otherwise.

ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
serious questions

-is the problem only with macbooks?
-not the normal keyboards that come with iMacs?
-not the keyboards in iPad covers?

- you think apple could kill laptops and tell you buy iPad pros?

Or maybe did what Lenovo did?

That keyboard is a screen.

-
Hmmm... maybe apple could make one where the top screen runs mac os, and the bottom screen is an ipad pro with an app doing the work of input device for the mac side... but that'll never happen.
ukimalefu posted:
serious questions

-
Hmmm... maybe apple could make one where the top screen runs mac os, and the bottom screen is an ipad pro with an app doing the work of input device for the mac side... but that'll never happen.

That sounds unbelievablly complicated. If only someone was trying to figure out how to make an os that works both for touchscreens and regular laptops
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I have no issues with the keyboard...so far. I definitely liked the faux glass keyboard they had years back best though.
It's a non apology. "I'm sorry you're offended..."
I don't recall Apple ever apologizing for the butterfly keyboard. They quietly fixed it in the next version at most.
gd Ya boi, Guzma
What's the issue with the butterfly keyboard?

I happen to love mine.
dv
gd posted:

I happen to love mine.

You're weird.

Also they break a lot.
New MacBook just purchased with AppleCare just in case.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Kirk posted:

No matter what the brand, an extended warranty on a portable device like a laptop is a good idea. They get subjected to a lot more possible damage than a desktop.
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:

No matter what the brand, an extended warranty on a portable device like a laptop is a good idea. They get subjected to a lot more possible damage than a desktop.

With just two screw I can can swap out the leyboard on my Lenovo in five minutes, and replacements are cheap on ebay.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:

With just two screw I can can swap out the leyboard on my Lenovo in five minutes, and replacements are cheap on ebay.

Cool story, bro.
juice Inadvertently correct
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:

Ya, but that Lenovo ain't paper thin and we all know thinness is the most important thing. :squint:
But, seriously, anyone who has ever set a pen or pencil on their KB needs an extended warranty.
gd posted:

I happen to love mine.

Agreed!
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:

In light of current events specifically pertaining to China and Canada, you're completely comfortable using and recommending a Chinese manufacturer? Maybe living in Taiwan has left me more paranoid about Chinese products, but there's no way I would buy a Lenovo after the spyware debacle, and more recent events have only affirmed that inclination.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I have an overlay on my MBP keyboard that keeps the cookie crumbs out; works well as far as I can tell. No problems with my keyboard so far ... except ...
I HATE IT.
I hate the little chiclet keys, and the spacing sucks (for me, anyway).
I have an old Dell full-size "standard" USB keyboard that I "recycled" from the office that I use if I need to do 'serious' typing ... which I really, really don't have to do.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
serious questions

-

i'm trying to imagine writing a few thousand words on a touchscreen and not liking it
maurvir Meat popsicle
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
serious questions

-

i'm trying to imagine writing a few thousand words on a touchscreen and not liking it

A few thousand? I think after the first sentence I'd be looking for a BT or USB keyboard.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Apple apologizes for butterfly keyboards... again