AppleNews+

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
macaddict4life

AppleNews+

Post by macaddict4life »

I thought about just adding this to the other thread, but I think it deserves its own post, since it's already out.

I figured I'd try it out at some point, but I wasn't sure when. However today was the first of 2 midterm days at work, and proctoring a tiny class (4-7 students) is soooooo boring. Usually I read a book on my Kindle, but I decided to go for the AppleNews+ free trial and give it a spin.

I ended up reading through Scientific American, parts of the current issue of National Geographic, a few things in Smithsonian, and then flipped through some other selections. Ended up also spending a little time in a camera magazine (you know why). Saw some others that interest me. None of them would represent enough content on their own, but collectively this might actually be something worth keeping. We will see if I end up using it during the rest of the month after midterms are over.

I do think there needs to be some work on how things are presented. I couldn't quickly find any way to set which magazines I'm interested in or hide ones that I'm not. Some magazines can be blocked completely, but others (generally the ones I had the least interest in) could not. I might be missing something though.
Ernest
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

If I'm interpreting this correctly, this is some sort of "netflix for magazines"? not a simple news app with you know, just "news"?

That would be interesting.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/26/no-need-to-subscribe/

Not everyone is equally enthusiastic.
macaddict4life

Post by macaddict4life »

I'm not a publisher. Also, several things he mentioned are not consistent with my experience.

In particular, I haven't seen any recommended content at the end of AppleNews+ articles or periodicals. Only at the end of regular AppleNews articles.

With that said, I'm not so sure I'm enthusiastic. I mean, I'm definitely not sold on paying for it after this month.

I actually could see subscribing during midterms and months that I expect to have a lot of time to use it, and cancelling afterwards. I'll have to see if Wendy ends up using it.
Ernest